Here’s some obs. BTV had 52kt sustained and CON 54kt sustained.
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi-bin/request/asos.py?network=CT_ASOS&station=BDL&station=HFD&station=HVN&station=BTV&station=BDR&station=CON&station=EWR&station=ALB&station=BOS&station=EWR&station=PSM&data=metar&year1=1950&month1=11&day1=25&year2=1950&month2=11&day2=27&tz=Etc%2FUTC&format=onlycomma&latlon=no&elev=no&missing=M&trace=T&direct=no&report_type=3&report_type=4
The Great Appalachian storm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Appalachian_Storm_of_1950
We were in the warm sector. That was a LLJ on roids…east flow and we were pulling near hurricane force sustained. Then the cold front went through from the south toward midnight…we had CAA from southerly flow, but the wind diminished behind the cold front. There was a point the next morning where it was snowing at BDR and raining at BDL.
I bust his balls, but wind is definitely the most difficult common weather variable for home weather stations to get sited accurately. Most people have trees or can’t get the anny on the roof.
I’m sure 10mph on his deck surrounded by oaks probably translates to 30-40mph. Maybe we can get a bumper crop of lantern flies and gypsies next year to take his oaks down.
When I said “weenie” Wellfleet site I didn’t mean it was wrong or incorrectly sited. Just that it’s in a perfect elevated spot to maximize wind. They’re the peak wind in a lot of events.
The one on Block Island is on a bluff too (Mohegan Bluffs) but I’m not aware of any elevation there near 150ft. Maybe there is and I’ll eat my hat.
We’re not really in line for wind up here. It was breezy this morning, but once the showers moved in the temp wetbulbed down, we got inverted, and lost the little mixing we had.
Yeah the euro has been pretty consistent with that 60-70kt window around 6z at 925…I can’t see 950 without point-clicking soundings and trying to interpret overlapping barbs, but it looks like 50-55kt around that time.