Jump to content

dendrite

Administrator / Meteorologist
  • Posts

    75,802
  • Joined

Everything posted by dendrite

  1. I have some lespedeza in the lawn near the house and prostrate knotweed growing in the driveway and the edges. I don’t mind some weeds, but those 2 I can do without. My little meadow area by the run has milky spurge growing in there too. Anyone ever use one of those propane weed torches? I’ve been thinking about cooking the affected areas next spring. I know it will kill everything, but I assume the grass will eventually grow back.
  2. I don’t remember if I posted BTV before, but I was going through some of the old climo links and found their old normals. Pretty drastic shift warmer there in the last 30 yrs. https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliNORMNCDC.pl?vt1081 https://wrcc-archive.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?vt1081
  3. We had that one min in the upper 30s here…maybe 35-38 in the area depending on elevation. We’ve had a lot of Septembers with more 30s than that. Whatever it is, everything is lining up for a great season.
  4. Idk…the trees don’t seem stressed. We’ve had decent rain in Aug and Sep unlike last year. The colors are vibrant…not the sickly looking color last year that quickly browned. I think all of those cooler max temp days and 50s for highs are having an effect.
  5. The leaves are really popping here. I can’t recall the last time they looked this good this early locally. Even the oaks are starting to flip. Already 68° off a min of 60.4°
  6. They sound like bombs falling on the neighbor’s RV.
  7. Maybe they will survive right into next spring?
  8. Still cloud free but will probably be BKN/OVC within an hour. Goodbye warm season. See you again on 12/24.
  9. Yeah and that's generally the theme with the last 30 years vs the 30 years prior. Cooler months now are usually a result of cooler max temps while the mins are generally trying to pull the mean upward. Yeah, occasionally we get a month with some near record mins (Sep 2020), but they're pretty rare now. I'm not trying to get into another CC debate...just stating what the data and trend has been the last 75 years. The thing is I don't think the average person understands that we recalculate the normals every 10 years. So when they see "-1F September 2026" you start seeing posts online like "so much for global warming". Anyway...63.5F so far today. It's hard to believe, but my warmest temp this month is only 76.8F with 10 days of 70+. But it was another very safe month of mins with only one in the u30s and it's 5 straight days here of 52+ mins.
  10. Today will probably be a slight + too. This month would've been solidly AN when I was growing up in the 90s.
  11. I'd lean Wed morning...Tue AM we may still be mixed with CAA. But yeah, growing season may be on thin ice up here unless the intensity backs off...which is possible given it's 6 days out.
  12. I mowed the pawpaw and chestnut area once in the early spring and that has been it. There’s a little meadow back there now with clover, goldenrod, and aster. The crickets have been insane.
×
×
  • Create New...