-
Posts
6,781 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by Terpeast
-
Euro AI ens maintains a +NAO through most of its run, may be able to shock this winter back to life
-
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
Looks a lot like 97-98 in terms of snowfall where the apps and interior get dumped on while coastal plains get below climo. But we only need one! (Speaking for the MA) -
All good. With lack of time to do these analyses myself, I tend to make these one off comments going only by memory. But I probably shouldn’t do that, since I work in a different field now and my memory isn’t what it used to be
-
Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences @RickinBaltimore
-
Was gonna respond to this with a plot I did years ago showing how the 500mb pattern over the east often reverses from October to DJF (eg east ridge winter after troughing in oct), but the plotting tool I’m using seems to be broken and I don’t have the time to try another tool. I also hadn’t broken it down between la nina and el nino years when I did it back then. What I meant was not only october snow, but the bigger picture of the overall pattern. But without the plots, I can’t make that case now. Oh well.
-
Maybe the bad omen only applies to DMV, I have checked the data before. It didn’t look good. But there are always exceptions
-
0.18”, low end of what most of the area got. But glad to see that it at least rained
-
October snows are a bad omen
-
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
It looks like the strong +AO pushed the mid-high lat ridges further south -
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
With that in mind, the pdo stopped falling per WCS. Lowest it got was -1.8, now its up to -1.64 today. Should get back to near neutral in a month or so -
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
The PDO drop back is unfortunate. It’s now around where it was at this time last year, and there is still some time for the PDO to rise back up to near neutral once the marine heat wave area cools off with the season change. But I think +PDO territory is off the table, and the clock is ticking for us to even get back to neutral. -
Hail commanders!!!!
-
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
Yeah, most of the tropical convection is very east based with the MC completely shut down (finally, after 10 years). Interestingly there is some remaining convection right around the dateline or just to the east of it. If I loop the forecast forward, that piece stays there. I think it may actually help us a bit this winter if it keeps going. If not, and it stays this east based, that won’t be good news for our cold/snow chances. -
Rain starting in ashburn. 58
-
What a fabulous day today, wish we had more days like this
- 802 replies
-
- 13
-
-
-
2.5” event total in Ashburn, that was good. Feels like fall, finally
-
2.33” total yesterday and today, closing in on 4” MTD. And it was supposed to be a dry month according to the models
-
Haha i actually use TT most of the time it’s most mobile friendly. I like pivotal for desktop analysis but its not as mobile friendly
-
I don’t even check the surface for cfs maps, just 500mb and draw my own conclusions
-
In a super nino year, if I could get one big dog that beats my PR of 30”, the rest of the winter can be in the 60s for all I care.
-
1.08” yesterday and 0.77” today
-
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
Thats also my guess. Weaker goa/aleutian low, and I also wonder if it will be further west allowing for more -epo. But who really knows. I would expect the unexpected. -
2026-2027 Record-breaking El Nino
Terpeast replied to Stormchaserchuck1's topic in Weather Forecasting and Discussion
If PDO stays negative there are going to be a lot of papers about how PDO and ENSO modulate each other in a warming climate. But if we look at the WCS chart, the PDO was much more negative at this time than it is now. Last year it was around -1.8 and today about -0.7 give or take.
