Jump to content

LibertyBell

Daily Post Limited Member
  • Posts

    45,074
  • Joined

Everything posted by LibertyBell

  1. This list is interesting to me because the top 2 came after great winters and the previous summers were super hot especially 1966. Number 3 also had an epic end to the snow season and the previous summer was also extremely hot. It's also interesting that 1977 is on this list when it had one of the hottest two week stretches this region has ever seen. Ditto 1953. I wonder how this list looks for Mount Pocono, I know how cold it was here in the summer of 1992 I had my fireplace going most of the summer. Chris do you have a list of that and also the summers with the most highs below 70 degrees at both JFK and MPO? It was only in the mid 60s here yesterday and I remembered how much I hate it when the high temperature is below 70 and it's cloudy all day. It's bad enough that we have to deal with that in Spring and Fall, Summer is not supposed to be that way, Summer should be sunny, dry and hot with maybe one or two hours of rain per week that doesn't interfere with the sunshine or the heat. It's fine if it's cool and sunny because I have a ton of skylights that bring in the solar warmth but my house gets cold quickly if I dont have the heat or a fireplace on and there's no sunshine. On the flip side because of the size of the house and how much of it is tiled and the outside is insulated with both fiberglass and stone it does not heat up quickly in the summer even if it's hot outside. Even without turning my window AC on the house is 10-15 degrees cooler than the outside temperature in the heat. That's a good thing because only two rooms in this house are supportive of window AC a bedroom upstairs and the living room downstairs. In terms of heat when JFK was hitting 100-102 in early July it only got to 93-94 here and that 4 day stretch was the only time it was 90 or above here. It's never been higher than 94 here in all the years this house has been in our family, it also hit 94 in July 2011. I think there was a 95 back in 1954 and the only time it's been hotter than that was the torrid 3 day stretch of 98, 99 and 103 in early July 1911.
  2. Interesting same years appear on these lists 1988, 1993, 2010 and 2022. I would put 1993 and 2010 above all the rest region wide. Tony do you have a list for highest number of 80 and 85 degree highs too for the three airports and the park too?
  3. To be fair those cold summers were godawful too. I particularly remember the Pinatubo summer of 1992. I was in the Poconos that summer too and it was in the 40s here in late June and raining all the time. I remember 1996 differently since I was on Long Island most of that summer it was extremely humid even though not hot and that made it much worse than if it were hot and less humid. I actually remember blacking out one day in June 1996 when it was overcast 82 degrees with a dew point of 82 100% humidity. My most hated kind of weather.
  4. Today was godawful. Low to mid 60s windy with rain and ugly dark skies all day. This weather belongs in October not August. How much do we need to accelerate climate change to make sure today's weather never happens in summer ever again?
  5. Apparently it was completely clear last night but I was too tired to stay up and look. I wonder what the rate would have been two nights after peak? The Perseids drop off rapidly after peak and I've never tried to look two nights after the peak.
  6. That's why I've been wondering if the el nino really becomes historic if the bake off summer will be in 2028 rather than 2027. This one might be more like 1998 rather than 1983.
  7. I cant help but think this is nature's way of dealing with climate change. In an ironic twist more smoke from wildfires, more flooding rains and more of a sea breeze at the coast have all resulted in less extensive and sustained coast to coast extreme heat than what we observed during the 80s and 90s in the specific years I outlined above. Do you think the planet has a heat ceiling that is close to being reached during the summer beyond which it physically can't get any hotter? The slower rise of temperatures in the summer hint at this while winter and other seasons warm faster. Also faster warming rates the farther north you go where the heat ceiling is higher even in summer. I think we'll eventually approach heat entropy when the temperature difference between the poles and the tropics is lower than it's ever been before.
  8. 1988 had such an incredible hot summer, this is an example of what I mean when I say the heat was much more extensive and longer lasting in the 80s and 90s in the summer than it is now. This has nothing to do with Central Park foliage issues this was literally coast to coast heat that lasted the entire summer. Other examples include 1980, 1983, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2002. By the way in yesterday's post you mentioned that Boston's all time August high of 101 happened in 2002?
  9. John it might be a black hole for humans but it will be a Renaissance for the planet as with far fewer humans the planet will be much better off. I'm also not sure it will be a black hole for humanity because we will colonize space and leave this planet. Also it's an interesting analogy for a strictly scientific reason, black holes represent peak entropy in the universe and climate change reduces the differences between the poles and the tropics which also leads to peak entropy on our planet. And black holes might not be the end but only the beginning as several theories point to black holes being the birth place of new universes.
  10. The thing I dislike about el ninos is they produce a dulling of extremes, cooler summers and warmer winters. Hotter summers and colder winters are much more interesting. Maybe in the future when we learn to control the weather we will figure out how to prevent these kinds of el ninos from happening. I envision gigantic underwater structures that control ocean currents. Until then i will just be happy knowing that the summers after El Nino are much hotter and drier.
  11. The Midwest is drowning in flooding right now. Excessive rainfall is far worse than drought. Once this unwanted el nino is finished I fully expect we will return to our dry pattern and next summer should be both hot and dry. My targets for JFK for next summer are 30 plus 90 degree days, 10 plus 95 degree days and 3 to 5 100 degree days.
  12. Nothing last night the sky was always more than 50 percent cloud covered and there were only a few stars to be seen even in the small clear patches I think there was smoke in the air because the sky had an unnatural orange color and was bright as if the moon was causing it.
  13. LGA is much more polluted by artificial human structures as is Newark. You can see that with the artificially elevated mins at LGA and EWR was hotter even back in the 1990s. NYC and JFK give the most natural experience what the temperatures would be like without human engineering of the landscape. The 1990s were definitely hotter in terms of 90 degree days and length of heat waves.
  14. Elevation 1,580 feet

  15. The landscape had that strange dusky orangeish color between 1 and 2 pm which surprised me because we were nowhere near the total eclipse area we only had 9 percent coverage. I didn't take any pictures of it or the Perseids because we were in and out of clouds but the view through my new 2x54 constellation binoculars felt like looking at an astroimage live!
  16. First half of September is generally warmer than the first half of June. I've had lows in the 40s in the first half of June a few times. The high the last two days has been in the upper 70s here. That's okay. It was in the mid 60s here and windy last night and it felt cold viewing the Perseids. I kept coming inside for 10 minutes each time after spending 10 minutes outside each time between 2 and 6.
  17. September is an extended summer month even when it doesn't hit 90 it's still extremely warm and humid. The first half of September is generally warmer than the first half of June and is still part of summer. While the first half of June is not.
  18. What kind of AC do you have? Last year's summer was very hot and I ran it all the time too but my electric bill was never more than 200 a month. I used just one 5000 BTU window AC. I didn't care how hot the rest of the house was because I didn't spend much time in the other rooms. This house is much cooler because it's well insulated and shaded by trees and I've only ran the AC three times, twice in July and once so far in August.
  19. Saw 36 meteors including some fireballs between 2 am and 6 am. I wasn't outside more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time because it was just too cold. Which is why I never see the Geminids unless I'm outside doing something else. I saw one meteor almost as soon as I opened my balcony door at 2 am and the sky was more than 50 percent clear. I saw another 3 a few minutes after that when I brought out my 2x54 Sky Rover binoculars. More on these later. But then it clouded up again and I could even see lightning in the distance. I wish I'd gone out there before 2 am. The next period of clearing started at 3:30 and between then and 4 am I saw another 11 meteors for a total of 15. This is when one of the brightest fireballs I have ever seen happened in the Western sky followed by a dark tail of smoke and dust that stayed in the air for a few seconds after the fireball was gone. That tail of dark smoke was about half an inch thick and it looked like a plane on fire that was about to crash to the ground! This was so much more exciting than any thunder storm could ever be! There were a few more really bright meteors after that that I could see right through the clouds, these Galilean binoculars can not only sharply define the texture of clouds (like waves in the ocean) as long as the clouds aren't very thick they can actually see through the clouds and show thousands of stars and even star clusters that lie beyond them. I could see stars and even meteors right through flashes of silent lightning! Between 4 am and 5 am I saw another 20 bright meteors including some slow ones that I watches for 30 seconds or longer as they moved from one part of the sky to the other. So 35 shooting stars by 5. And then the sky brightened up around 5 am and the only object visible was Jupiter in the southwestern sky. The birds had even woken up and started to sing and I was ready to get up and go inside when lo and behold a bright fireball lit up the western sky right next to Jupiter at 5:30 am! This was a fireball just as bright as the one I saw much earlier but this was visible in the bright blue morning sky! This is the second latest I've ever seen one, during my first Perseids viewing back in 1986 exactly 40 years ago I saw a bright fireball with a long lingering tail pass to the north of me on Long Island at around 5:45 am. In each of these cases the fireballs were brighter than Venus! This was shooting star number 36 and I'm hoping tonight has a repeat performance as the Perseids have a two night peak. By the way did you notice there was a solar eclipse yesterday? I noticed color changes like we usually get during a partial eclipse between 1 and 2 in the afternoon which surprised me because the sun was only 9 percent covered. It was a total solar eclipse in Greenland. Iceland, Portugal and Spain.
  20. I never considered July 1936 to be such a hot outlier. For the middle of the country maybe but not really outside of the farming belt. 1936 was a one heatwave wonder for those of us on the East Coast and represents the folly of ranking summer months by average temperatures. From that sane period 1944 was a much hotter summer. Just take a look at how many 100 degree days there were and how far north they got. Burlington VT set their all time high of 101 that summer. If you connect together all the 11 year cycle summers beginning with 1911 you see that they stand out for exceptional extreme heat.
  21. The human overpopulation problem is the main causative factor in climate change and pollution and everything else being discussed. Following the herd doesn't lead to a good outcome. It's why the planet was so much cleaner during the pandemic. And yes dirttiness predates ACC but ACC itself is the result of pollution that humanity has been known for since the industrial age began. You seem a bit too defensive to be objective about the self destructive nature of humanity.
  22. That 100 degrees at Riverhead from 1997 is shocking. How did Riverhead hit 100 degrees that summer but no part of the city did?
  23. No it really does not LOL. We regularly get 90 degrees to about the middle of September. You have August confused with October. And even October isn't all that cool anymore. Make it November. Also why would anyone want to rush in cold weather? I'd rather not shell out a thousand dollars a month in heating costs, thanks.
  24. I think it might be showery for the meteor shower peak tonight unfortunately. Maybe it will clear out later so I'll be up around 3 am and go outside on my bedroom balcony to look. That's supposed to be the best time anyway.
  25. I really dont rank summers by average temperatures, summers should be ranked by extreme temperatures, length of heat waves and number of heat related deaths. With that said I offer up my own list and 1936 is definitely near the top but there are several other extreme summers right up there with it. I'll do mine in chronological order. 1896 1911 1914 1936 1944 1948 1953 1955 1966 1977 1980 1983 1988 1991 1993 1995 1999 2002 2010 2011 Special mention needs to be given to the 11 year cycle which often include the hottest summers of their decade (1911, 1944, 1955, 1966, 1977, 1988, 1999, 2010).
×
×
  • Create New...