Jump to content

kat5hurricane

Members
  • Posts

    927
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by kat5hurricane

  1. I gotta admit, these big north jumps have me a bit concerned for us at the coast. As I said earlier today, I don't feel like these north trends are done and I still don't think they're done. Another 50-75 mile jump north and it could be like the December storm again which was fine but had loads more potential than what transpired at the coast and nearby suburbs.
  2. 12z was a big jump north and definitely a noticeable shift north at 18z. Still a sharp cutoff north of the city but I don't think the north shifts are done yet.
  3. And remember the Euro is still trending. It was basically a whiff as recently as last night and has been trending north ever since. It could be a windshield wiper effect and trend back south but it seems like most models are making that usual north trend as we get closer to the event.
  4. News stations almost always go conservative to start then bump up or down closer to the event (or sometimes during the event). I wouldn't pay much attention to them.
  5. It took a big step back from what it was showing last night (maybe you were being sarcastic?). Really bad trends on the GFS and GEM. Add in the EURO missing south last night and this is trending towards a minor event.
  6. Some fatties coming down in Midtown. It looks like it should be out of here pretty quickly.
  7. Same here. I had the towel in hand after last night's runs and have officially tossed it now at least for the big snows. It looks like a 3-6 thump is likely for the immediate metro depending on where you're located, probably closer to 6 for you.
  8. Just stepped outside to the delight of light snow. I'm going to savour every flake in what could be a relatively flakeless season.
  9. I think Feb 2006 was mostly forgotten because the heaviest snow fell in a smaller area relative to other blizzards and as you said, it melted within 2-3 days. Plus it occurred over the weekend so there were less people on the road. Having experienced the full fury of that storm, it is perhaps the most memorable of any storm I ever witnessed. I was visiting somebody in The Bronx and stayed overnight. The snow wasn't really that heavy when I went to sleep so I thought it would be a pedestrian major with a foot or so as was forecasted then I woke up to huge drifts and thundersnow going on for what seemed like an hour. I went to look for my car and couldn't find it because so many cars were buried in drifts. It then took us a couple of hours to dig out because I had to go home and drove over the Throgs Neck bridge which had piles of snow all the way through (never seen that before on a major bridge) and took me hours to get home. The pure intensity of that snow with the Death Band sitting over the city producing Severe Thundersnow is something I'll never forget. One of those moments when you remembered everything you were doing at that time in every detail. Feb '06, Boxing Day and PDII are king for me in my 40 years. Honourable mentions to Jan '16 and Jan '96.
  10. '14-'15 was a lot like that too in the second half particularly. Lots of moderate 4-8 type events but consistent cold keeping the snowpack with what seemed like weekly snow events keeping the pack intact and fresh. That was my favourite winter simply because it was endless winter. '10-'11 had the massive storms but the snowpacks were short lived. February 2006 might have been my favourite storm because the thundersnow was so intense and long lasting, never seen anything like it before or after. PDIi for the long duration and bitter cold is high up on the list too. So many others over the last 25 years that can be included as well. The '96 Blizzards, Boxing Day, Jan 2016 etc. We've been spoiled big time, a Golden Era of snow this century. I expect a regression to the mean eventually with some relatively snowless winters like last year for instance.
×
×
  • Create New...