Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day weather fans,

High today - 86F

Current temp - 77F

Temps expected to drop into the 50's tonight.

Going to enjoy the next 40 days, after that it's time to start looking at cold fronts and the first frost/freeze

Locally summer has been spectacular. Plenty of rain free days and booming rays of sun. Near perfect run of rain free weekends.

Rumors of a super El Nino this winter. Most reports indicate this may favor the interior locations for snow.

Best,

Animal

Was just driving around in some of the NW areas this afternoon (western Morris and parts of Sussex county) and it got me to thinking of snow (obviously). I know the snowiest area of NJ is around Highland Lakes/West Milford (not including high point, which is the snowiest, but at the highest elevation of the state park).....What is the best, most detailed average annual snow map you have seen that factors in elevation and shows at least all of northern New Jersey ? There are areas, such as Hopatcong, that sit at 1,000-1,200 feet + in elevation, that I would think average almost as much anyone else. Even areas of Rockaway are 1,100 ft +.

Guest Pamela

Was just driving around in some of the NW areas this afternoon (western Morris and parts of Sussex county) and it got me to thinking of snow (obviously). I know the snowiest area of NJ is around Highland Lakes/West Milford (not including high point, which is the snowiest, but at the highest elevation of the state park).....What is the best, most detailed average annual snow map you have seen that factors in elevation and shows at least all of northern New Jersey ? There are areas, such as Hopatcong, that sit at 1,000-1,200 feet + in elevation, that I would think average almost as much anyone else. Even areas of Rockaway are 1,100 ft +.

I'd refer to maps 18 & 19 at the link below; though the drawings are heavily elevation dependent...as insufficient station detail is on file to come up with something so very precise. 

http://weathercarrot.smugmug.com/Weathercarrot-photos/AT-Snow-Maps/

Guest Pamela

That's a nice find, wish there were detailed maps like like for a larger area.

Map 21 beautifully depicts snowy Litchfield County, Connecticut...with the 100+ inch annual averages in and around the town of Norfolk.

Guest Pamela

Map 21 beautifully depicts snowy Litchfield County, Connecticut...with the 100+ inch annual averages in and around the town of Norfolk.

Also note Map 22...with the 140+ inch average around Mt. Greylock in the Berkshires...the snowiest spot in SNE.

I'd refer to maps 18 & 19 at the link below; though the drawings are heavily elevation dependent...as insufficient station detail is on file to come up with something so very precise.

http://weathercarrot.smugmug.com/Weathercarrot-photos/AT-Snow-Maps/

THANK YOU Pam!! I'd seen a couple of those maps before and couldn't find them online. Those are the most detailed maps I've seen and are great to look at. Some time in the next couple of years I'll probably be moving, and would like to be in a snowier area that is not cut off from everything else (though if I didn't have to work I wouldn't mind that at all though). I didn't realize that areas in NE CT average that much snow.....something to think about, although every time I look further, I get pulled right back in and around the NYC area.....I love it, and will probably still end up in N/NWNJ

Guest Pamela

THANK YOU Pam!! I'd seen a couple of those maps before and couldn't find them online. Those are the most detailed maps I've seen and are great to look at. Some time in the next couple of years I'll probably be moving, and would like to be in a snowier area that is not cut off from everything else (though if I didn't have to work I wouldn't mind that at all though). I didn't realize that areas in NE CT average that much snow.....something to think about, although every time I look further, I get pulled right back in and around the NYC area.....I love it, and will probably still end up in N/NWNJ

Actually it is NW CT...not NE CT...that is soo snowy...the Litchfield Hills are a perfectly splendid place for the winter weather lover.

I am happy to see you once again...your wit & wisdom and the fact that you are so very literary always brightens my mood and makes each long day's journey into night a bit more palatable...

Actually it is NW CT...not NE CT...that is soo snowy...the Litchfield Hills are a perfectly splendid place for the winter weather lover.

I am happy to see you once again...your wit & wisdom and the fact that you are so very literary always brightens my mood and makes each long day's journey into night a bit more palatable...

Ah yes I meant to type NW CT, and the Litchfield Hills will definitely be a place to consider. That map seem very accurate for the NW NJ areas, so I presume that would hold true all the way up the coast on the other maps. I've been living in northern (but not western) NJ all of my life and hadn't realized just how many areas well east of Kittatinny Mountain sit above 1,000'.

In the highlands of Morris and Sussex county, a short 5-10 minute drive can bring you from 450' up to 1,150'and back down. It definitely would lead to more snowfall in some cases, due to not being on or just SE of the rain/snow line as often. However, as we know, areas such as LI and SNE have been hammered several times in the past few years due to their proximity to the coast and the powerhouse storms unloading very heavy bands of snow over those areas.

Well, by the end of the month, most areas will be averaging high temps in the low 70s and nighttime lows in the upper 50s. Looking forward to it and glad to have some great people to share the excitement with! Thank you! I've made many futile attempts to make winter storms seem exciting to those around me. Not many enjoy the snow, although evidently everyone does enjoy making unnecessary trips to the grocery store to get food before and during a storm, and having phatic conversations with strangers, as if the storm would prevent them from being able to open their doors to the outside world for a few weeks. Always found that to be funny !!

Archived