• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
America's Next Weather Caster

From Brian Lowry:

Building a spoof element into a reality-TV competition seems fraught with peril, but “America’s Next Weatherman” pretty deftly navigates those currents, with Matt Oberg (“The Comedians”) playing a weird, off-kilter host while almost everyone else appears deadly earnest about what’s transpiring. If not as inspired or elaborate as, say, “The Joe Schmo Show,” the approach does deliver some laughs, thanks largely to the puzzled reaction shots and absurd stunts the contestants must endure. That said, it’s another matter whether anyone sober enough to get the gag is apt to see it, scheduled as it is at 11 p.m. Saturdays.

On face, everything about “Weatherman” looks like the usual made-for-TV competition, with the candidates vying for cash and a shot on CNN, and two veterans of the Los Angeles TV market, Johnny Mountain and Jillian Barberie, on hand to assess their work. That’s playfully undermined, however, by Oberg’s deadpan lines as the host, at one point referring to himself as “sexually nonthreatening,” and later portentously telling the players that the loser of an elimination contest will be “gone … with the wind.”

SEE MORE: TBS Orders Weatherman Competition Series From Funny or Die, Mark Burnett

The contests, moreover, exhibit a greater-than-usual willingness to mess around with the aspirants, such as dropping bugs on them in the middle of a forecast, causing even the judges to grimace. In addition, the commercial bumpers include ridiculous audition-tape snippets from hopefuls who didn’t make the cut, such as a medley of those who opted to submit footage of themselves wearing bikinis.

While the “Funny or Die” label should be a tipoff that not everything is as it seems, the producers insist the game itself is on the level. Perhaps so, but some of the contestants come off as so over the top as to feel like plants, which is at the very least distracting.

Nevertheless, it’s worth watching (or not immediately zapping away) if only for Oberg’s antics, which bring a “Colbert Report”-like quality to the process of booting someone off such a competition, with the inevitable cloudburst that greets their exit.

For “Funny or Die,” it’s a relatively minor addition to the company’s brand, but not an unwelcome one. The real question is why TBS would treat something that at least tries to bend the mold in what appears to be slapdash fashion, scheduling-wise. For that reason, while “America’s Next Weatherman” is actually better than fair, the forecast remains cloudy, with a chance of cancellation.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/funny-or-die-presents-americas-next-weatherman-review-tbs-reality-tv-satire-1201556725/

From Brian Lowry:

Building a spoof element into a reality-TV competition seems fraught with peril, but “America’s Next Weatherman” pretty deftly navigates those currents, with Matt Oberg (“The Comedians”) playing a weird, off-kilter host while almost everyone else appears deadly earnest about what’s transpiring. If not as inspired or elaborate as, say, “The Joe Schmo Show,” the approach does deliver some laughs, thanks largely to the puzzled reaction shots and absurd stunts the contestants must endure. That said, it’s another matter whether anyone sober enough to get the gag is apt to see it, scheduled as it is at 11 p.m. Saturdays.

On face, everything about “Weatherman” looks like the usual made-for-TV competition, with the candidates vying for cash and a shot on CNN, and two veterans of the Los Angeles TV market, Johnny Mountain and Jillian Barberie, on hand to assess their work. That’s playfully undermined, however, by Oberg’s deadpan lines as the host, at one point referring to himself as “sexually nonthreatening,” and later portentously telling the players that the loser of an elimination contest will be “gone … with the wind.”

SEE MORE: TBS Orders Weatherman Competition Series From Funny or Die, Mark Burnett

The contests, moreover, exhibit a greater-than-usual willingness to mess around with the aspirants, such as dropping bugs on them in the middle of a forecast, causing even the judges to grimace. In addition, the commercial bumpers include ridiculous audition-tape snippets from hopefuls who didn’t make the cut, such as a medley of those who opted to submit footage of themselves wearing bikinis.

While the “Funny or Die” label should be a tipoff that not everything is as it seems, the producers insist the game itself is on the level. Perhaps so, but some of the contestants come off as so over the top as to feel like plants, which is at the very least distracting.

Nevertheless, it’s worth watching (or not immediately zapping away) if only for Oberg’s antics, which bring a “Colbert Report”-like quality to the process of booting someone off such a competition, with the inevitable cloudburst that greets their exit.

For “Funny or Die,” it’s a relatively minor addition to the company’s brand, but not an unwelcome one. The real question is why TBS would treat something that at least tries to bend the mold in what appears to be slapdash fashion, scheduling-wise. For that reason, while “America’s Next Weatherman” is actually better than fair, the forecast remains cloudy, with a chance of cancellation.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/funny-or-die-presents-americas-next-weatherman-review-tbs-reality-tv-satire-1201556725/

ok, dumb question. did my clip at least make it as one of the people who tried out and failed to make it on to the show?

ok, dumb question. did my clip at least make it as one of the people who tried out and failed to make it on to the show?

I wouldn't know, I refuse to watch, but I'd be curious to see if my clip made it as well. I also wonder how many people they "interviewed" in total. 

given the bad reviews here in how "Funny or Die  " is mis-handling the show, makes me wonder, what if someone else was running it,like the Weather Channel/WSI, Accu-Weather, Weathernation, the Weather Network, etc. ?

Something tells me people here would still spazz out that TWC was focusing on reality TV and not doing weather 24/7. 

given the bad reviews here in how "Funny or Die  " is mis-handling the show, makes me wonder, what if someone else was running it,like the Weather Channel/WSI, Accu-Weather, Weathernation, the Weather Network, etc. ?

I think the concept had a lot of potential. Instead of going heavy on the comedy/dark comedy aspect, why not a balance of good science (not necessarily complicated science) and humor? It could have been fun, while still maintaining some integrity and probably offering a broader appeal.

Based on my experience through the casting process, it sounds like the show was pitched to several networks, but either TBS had the highest (or only bid?) I almost wondered if the show was going to fall through, since they kept delaying their responses and giving me the "we're waiting on a network to pick up the show." I really wonder why the other networks didn't put together a stronger effort? Maybe the show was pitched in more of a comedic way from the start and in terms of integrity, the weather networks didn't want to have anything to do with it. Who knows. I haven't given that much thought until now.

I think the concept had a lot of potential. Instead of going heavy on the comedy/dark comedy aspect, why not a balance of good science (not necessarily complicated science) and humor? It could have been fun, while still maintaining some integrity and probably offering a broader appeal.

Based on my experience through the casting process, it sounds like the show was pitched to several networks, but either TBS had the highest (or only bid?) I almost wondered if the show was going to fall through, since they kept delaying their responses and giving me the "we're waiting on a network to pick up the show." I really wonder why the other networks didn't put together a stronger effort? Maybe the show was pitched in more of a comedic way from the start and in terms of integrity, the weather networks didn't want to have anything to do with it. Who knows. I haven't given that much thought until now.

probably an only bid deal. but if TWC or A-W had done it that way instead of how apparently it 's being done, have to admit on the forecasting challenges, I was planning to win a lot of them.  :weight_lift:      

yea i'd have to get back used to the green screen and dial back in the personality I had in High School when i did the wx on the    morning announcements. but i would have enjoyed a fair fight to the finish against my peers.

Archived