• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe parameters for 6/18/2014 - NYC

Mikehobbyst

Looks like we're starting to destabilize nicely. SPC has upgraded us to a slight risk for severe storms today.

sbcp.gif?1403018926381

Effective bulk shear profiles are in the 30-40kt range which should be enough to maintain storms as they slide southeast later today. Any activity should ride the southern periphery of the strongest wind field. Although the models have been focusing a majority of the activity over New England we should still do well.

eshr.gif?1403018992882

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we're starting to destabilize nicely. SPC has upgraded us to a slight risk for severe storms today.

sbcp.gif?1403018926381

Effective bulk shear profiles are in the 30-40kt range which should be enough to maintain storms as they slide southeast later today. Any activity should ride the southern periphery of the strongest wind field. Although the models have been focusing a majority of the activity over New England we should still do well.

eshr.gif?1403018992882

Earthlight has a good write up on NYMetroweather (since he has abandoned us all here)  :cry:

Read more, post less.

If you're going to call out a poster and tell them that they are wrong you're expected to bring more to the table then one event and no scientific evidence.

Since you are calling me out and want to continue the P contest- read this article and the different types of MCS's  - it mentions movement and tell me me where it says they move almost always move NW to SE - obviously there are a number of exceptions to the rule- not just the 1998 one - also look at my total number of posts compared to yours and we have been here close to the same amount of time

http://www.wxonline.info/topics/mcsprop.html

he mentions east southeast movement - I would think this favors the northern half of the metro

It favors no one, because you have no idea where the track will be until the MCS forms. Very hard to pin a track down. And btw, I almost never agree with yanks, but he's right. I'll back him up on this one. Look at 2012, it formed in IA, and moved ESE and barely pounded me here in SJ. 99% of them move from NW to SE.

SPC AC 170533

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1233 AM CDT TUE JUN 17 2014

VALID 181200Z - 191200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE NRN PLAINS EWD TO
PA...AND ACROSS THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS..NRN IL EWD INTO PA...

STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ONGOING EARLY ON WED ACROSS LOWER MI AND
PERHAPS ERN WI ASSOCIATED WITH A COMPACT SHORTWAVE TROUGH. THIS
FEATURE WILL CONTINUE EWD DURING THE DAY...WHILE DESTABILIZATION
OCCURS WITHIN THE WEAK SFC TROUGH. WIDESPREAD STORMS ARE EXPECTED BY
LATE AFTERNOON FROM NRN IL/IND EWD INTO PA AND SRN NY.
UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND PROFILES WILL FAVOR MAINLY FORWARD PROPAGATING
STORMS CAPABLE OF DAMAGING WINDS...BUT INSTABILITY WILL ALSO BE
SUFFICIENT FOR HAIL. WITH AMPLE WLY FLOW...STORMS SHOULD REMAIN
STRONG ALL THE WAY TO THE COAST.

SPC AC 170533

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1233 AM CDT TUE JUN 17 2014

VALID 181200Z - 191200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE NRN PLAINS EWD TO

PA...AND ACROSS THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS..NRN IL EWD INTO PA...

STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ONGOING EARLY ON WED ACROSS LOWER MI AND

PERHAPS ERN WI ASSOCIATED WITH A COMPACT SHORTWAVE TROUGH. THIS

FEATURE WILL CONTINUE EWD DURING THE DAY...WHILE DESTABILIZATION

OCCURS WITHIN THE WEAK SFC TROUGH. WIDESPREAD STORMS ARE EXPECTED BY

LATE AFTERNOON FROM NRN IL/IND EWD INTO PA AND SRN NY.

UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND PROFILES WILL FAVOR MAINLY FORWARD PROPAGATING

STORMS CAPABLE OF DAMAGING WINDS...BUT INSTABILITY WILL ALSO BE

SUFFICIENT FOR HAIL. WITH AMPLE WLY FLOW...STORMS SHOULD REMAIN

STRONG ALL THE WAY TO THE COAST.

We will see paul. Last year that derecho that passed into our area was forecasted to hold its strength all the way into the coastal areas and it just fell apart to showers and some lightning by the time it reached NYC-east. However im pretty optimistic about this forecasted severe threat tommorow.....

We will see paul. Last year that derecho that passed into our area was forecasted to hold its strength all the way into the coastal areas and it just fell apart to showers and some lightning by the time it reached NYC-east. However im pretty optimistic about this forecasted severe threat tommorow.....

They love to split once to NYC . We will see . 

As many have said, tomorrow looks to be our day. Hopefully we don't get another let down.

That's the wrong attitude to go into it with. What you should be saying is, "I anticipate nothing, but if there's something, I'll be pleasantly surprised." Too many unknowns with convection forecasting to get those hopes off the floor beyond a couple hours in advance.

It favors no one, because you have no idea where the track will be until the MCS forms. Very hard to pin a track down. And btw, I almost never agree with yanks, but he's right. I'll back him up on this one. Look at 2012, it formed in IA, and moved ESE and barely pounded me here in SJ. 99% of them move from NW to SE.

does anyone know of site where there is a listing of MCS' over a period of time ?

I still feel that any diurnal convection in our area will generally be capped today. The SPC Mesoanalysis doesn't show CIN values less than 25 -- though it really should. This is today's 12z NAM valid at 2:00pm. We'll have to rely on a localized boundary for any isolated convection. We may have to wait until tonight for the MCS for any real convection. 

pwatdoug06.gif

I still feel that any dirunal convection in our area will generally be capped today. The SPC Mesoanalysis doesn't show CIN values less than 25 -- though it really should. This is today's 12z NAM valid at 2:00pm. We'll have to rely on a localized boundary for any isolated convection. We may have to wait until tonight for the MCS for any real convection. 

If we get some good storms tonight, won't that effect tomorrow's potential?

Everyone here is telling you that you're wrong, normally a sign that you are.

prove me wrong find me the list of MCS with graphics - > 50-  I know one thing for certain 99% do not move exactly NW to SE as Smoke Eater  claims

prove me wrong find me the list of MCS with graphics - > 50- I know one thing for certain 99% do not move exactly NW to SE as Smoke Eater claims

No one is discussing EXACT motions here, but general ideas. And if you want proof of things, you should be willing to back up your own claim of the 99% number, right? You pick some odd nitpicky sh*t to get completely soap boxy about.

If one examines the synoptic-scale set-up that tends to precede derecho / MCS type events, it's apparent that it would be very difficult to get a derecho moving anything other than W-E or WNW-ESE/NW-SE. They feed off of tight baroclinic zones with high dews points/heat to the south, cooler/drier air to the north, and usually strong W-E or NW-SE mid level winds. It's generally in a ring of fire regime where you have a large ridge in the central or southern US and convection fires along the periphery of said ridge. Thus it makes sense for the convection to travel generally NW-SE (or WNW-ESE) as the mid level flow around high pressure is clockwise and in that direction on its northern side. Strong jet streaks can help maintain the events overnight after they've developed from the intense instability and gradient along the boundary.

2m6795z.jpg

If one examines the synoptic-scale set-up that tends to precede derecho / MCS type events, it's apparent that it would be very difficult to get a derecho moving anything other than W-E or WNW-ESE/NW-SE. They feed off of tight baroclinic zones with high dews points/heat to the south, cooler/drier air to the north, and usually strong W-E or NW-SE mid level winds. It's generally in a ring of fire regime where you have a large ridge in the central or southern US and convection fires along the periphery of said ridge. Thus it makes sense for the convection to travel generally NW-SE (or WNW-ESE) as the mid level flow around high pressure is clockwise and in that direction on its northern side. Strong jet streaks can help maintain the events overnight after they've developed from the intense instability and gradient along the boundary.

2m6795z.jpg

Nice post. I also found this explanation useful.

This behavior results from a characteristic pattern of propagation, in which new cells tend to form on the general upwind side of the cluster, with the larger and more intense cells developing on its right flank. The individual cells move through the cluster, dissipating on approach to its advancing and left flanks. Preferential formation of cells toward the rear side of the cluster is shown to be compatible with the probable origin and trajectories (relative to the moving storm) of air ascending from the lower part of the subcloud layer. The sometimes-observed rapid movement of large multicellular storms to left of the mean wind is partly accounted for by an opposite (left forward flank) pattern of propagation.

You can see the moisture diving southeast as it crosses the northern periphery of the ridge axis poking up to our southwest. Most of the high res models indeed show convection diving southeastward or even southward but weakening before it arrives or dissipating all together. In my opinion the current parameters would be capable of supporting a convective complex well into the evening.

wv-animated.gif

Derecheo composites are starting to rise some.

dcp.gif?1403028368714

We'll have to watch and see if the better mid-level lapse rates can continue to advect towards the region thanks to an EML coming east.

laps.gif?1403028400689

Archived