joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some "signs" in the longer range ensembles the pattern could begin to transition cooler by mid-September, we shall see. At least the hot pattern set up in late August/early Sept and not in mid July, if this upper air pattern were present then, we would be over 100.

I would much rather have a hot pattern in early Sept than in July. Much lower sun angle, shorter days, and knowing fall is close makes it easier to tolerate IMO.

Looking at the latest Drought Monitor, it keeps getting worse and worse for Georgia. 20% of the state is now in a moderate or severe drought.  Anyone think this will improve anytime soon or will it continue to get worse ?

Why is it that the northern plains, Great Lakes, northeast never seem to be in a drought ? Is it because they don't get as hot and the sun is lower in the sky ? The south and western US always seem to be in a drought.

Looking at the latest Drought Monitor, it keeps getting worse and worse for Georgia. 20% of the state is now in a moderate or severe drought. Anyone think this will improve anytime soon or will it continue to get worse ?

Why is it that the northern plains, Great Lakes, northeast never seem to be in a drought ? Is it because they don't get as hot and the sun is lower in the sky ? The south and western US always seem to be in a drought.

I'm pretty sure none of the south was in a drought last summer!

I'm pretty sure none of the south was in a drought last summer!

Well, i'm pretty sure the southern half of the US (including the southwest) was in more of a drought than the northern half of the U.S. was. That always seems to be the case. When I say south, i'm not just talking southeast. I'm talking Arizona, Southern Cal, NM, etc. Why is it that when someone says "south" people automatically think of southeast like Atlanta instead of southwest like LA ? For once, I would love to see the entire southern half of the US drought free and let the northern half of the US deal with drought. They are so spoiled up there.

Looks like the Southeast US is going to enter September on a warm note...pretty much all the models are showing higher heights centered in the Eastern/SE US with the center of those heights drifting around and setting up in different areas over a 2-week period.

One thing I think could sneak up on the models is the Bahamas and Southeast Florida come middle of next week...we have a decent 500mb low that will move west through that region...the GFS has a part of it splitting and going up the East Coast with the bigger piece slowly drifting through the Florida Straights by next weekend.

Models are not showing much in terms of development but given Climatology,  the extremely warm SST's, neutral conditions aloft (shear) and just the general trend of this hurricane season (in close development)...there is IMO a 50/50 chance that convection may try to develop and organize enough to where that region gets assigned with an INVEST number.

If nothing else, this upper low combined with an upper ridge transitioning from the Gulf Coast to the Ohio Valley/Mid Atlantic could result in an easterly flow by next weekend that would be favorable for daily convection...

Looking at the long range in general, the first half of September looks to be warm, humid and capable of producing late summer storms on a near daily basis.

post-1418-0-91053100-1409452331_thumb.gi

Meteorological Fall starts tomorrow, so I would agree, the fall thread should start tomorrow.

Only problem is it will feel nothing like fall this coming week  :cry:

I know TWC ten days are strictly comp based, but they do show a cool off the beginning of next week and GSP hinting at a backdoor cold front around that time. You guys think this is legit? Looks like maybe mid to low 80 with lows around 60 for upstate. It is definitely time to see that initial semi-permanent cool down. This heat the last couple weeks is really depressing. 

Archived