joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Mount Falcon (7841 feet). It was snowing for the top 200 feet of elevation when I got there around 6, but by the time I was leaving at 6:45 it was snowing like gangbusters and accumulating quickly. It was pure snow down to around 6800 (best guess) and was mixed with the rain down to probably 6200. Can't wait for it to make it down to the city!

KDEN is down to 35 and switched over to light snow about 15 minutes ago. 15 degree drop in 4 hours.

Anybody on here getting snow yet?

Dry here on the west side of Englewood right now. More moisture moving in as we speak though. I'd guess 30 more minutes of liquid before we switch to frozen.

Near Monument Hill, nothing much to report at the moment. Had a pretty good rain shower as I was commuting from downtown COS toward the Air Force Academy around 7pm. However, just north of there, it starting snowing. But, nothing falling right now. I'm expecting a good foot here before all is done.....I'll take it! :D

Near Monument Hill, nothing much to report at the moment. Had a pretty good rain shower as I was commuting from downtown COS toward the Air Force Academy around 7pm. However, just north of there, it starting snowing. But, nothing falling right now. I'm expecting a good foot here before all is done.....I'll take it! :D

weather.com showing weather tweets that indicate folks are starting to see the white stuff all around the metro

http://www.weather.com/social/fullfeed/USCO0105

Still nothing south...

Beautiful setup for the Front Range with the leading low amplitude northern stream wave and the strong east-northeasterly low level trajectories behind it. The lagging quasi cutoff low and strong mid level westerly flow across the Front Range incites a strong low level mass response and forces even stronger upslope flow. Moistening is enhanced by a robust low/mid level enhancement of the thermal gradient (frontogenesis) followed by continued low level cold air advection with weak damming (although not the classic northerly low level flow with easterly flow over top). The northern branch of the unique dual jet configuration aloft is forcing some pretty impressive mesoscale jet circulations which is further enhancing the low/mid level frontogenesis. Some pretty clear and intense mesoscale bands are setting up north of the Denver metro.

post-999-0-26391400-1319599226.gif

post-999-0-02375500-1319599228.png

post-999-0-14058400-1319599298.png

The dual wave nature shows up much better in PV fields (here the dynamic tropopause on the 1.5 PVU surface). The leading wave is highly responsible for the great east northeast low level trajectories as mass subsidence behind the wave (the CCB aka Cold Conveyor Belt) develops behind the upper PV/shortwave. It is a unique synoptic setup, and we haven't seen it in well over a year.

post-999-0-36570900-1319600103.png

post-999-0-81034500-1319600108.png

post-999-0-34691700-1319600210.png

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

905 PM MDT TUE OCT 25 2011

.UPDATE...WE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHERADVISORY FOR SNOW FOR ZONES

48 AND 49 IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHTTONIGHT UNTIL NOON MDT

WEDNESDAY. HRRR INDICATED SOMEENHANCED SNOWFALL...MAINLY FROM

AKRON NORTHWARD. LOOKS LIKE SOMEENHANCED BANDED SNOWFALL

ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPPER JET. INADDITION...THE RAIN AND CHANGED

OVER TO SNOW ALONG THE INTERSTATE 25CORRIDOR ALREADY SO WL MAKE

MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO THE WEATHER GRIDSTHIS EVENING.

&&

.AVIATION...RAIN HAD HAS CHANGED OVERTO SNOW A COUPLE OF HOURS

SOONER THAN EXPECTED...WL AMEND THETAFS TO REFLECT THIS. OVERALL

TREND STILL ON TRACK WITH IFRCONDITIONS...PREVAILING CIGS BLO 1K

FT AND VSBYS RESTRICTED TO LESS THANONE MILE. SHOULD SEE SOME

IMPROVEMENT 15-18Z IN THE TIME FRAME.

I just drove across town. There is 1 inch on the ground, and 1/2 inch of slush on the streets at least! It really got slushy fast. Wow.

Edit:

I just had a tree branch almost fall on my house. This could be a bad omen. There are lots more branches that could break.

Heavy snow in Broomfield...

KBJC 260350Z 34012KT 1/4SM +SN OVC003 00/00 A3021 RMK LAST

Decent totals already too...

0934 PM HEAVY SNOW 3 S ESTES PARK 40.33N 105.52W

10/25/2011 E6.0 INCH LARIMER CO PUBLIC

1030 PM SNOW 2 NW FORT COLLINS 40.58N 105.09W

10/25/2011 M3.5 INCH LARIMER CO COCORAHS

TREE LIMBS BEGINNING TO CRACK

I just drove across town. There is 1 inch on the ground, and 1/2 inch of slush on the streets at least! It really got slushy fast. Wow.

Edit:

I just had a tree branch almost fall on my house. This could be a bad omen. There are lots more branches that could break.

This storm is definitely going to cause a huge amount of tree damage.

To already see reports of limbs down this early in the game is definitely somewhat disturbing.

The combination of trees with lots of leaves and possibly a foot of very heavy wet snow without much wind is going to make things very interesting.

Congrats to you all on the snow. :)

Some of the higher totals I've seen via the latest LSR from BOU. And of course, unfortunately tree and/or tree limb damage.

0408 AM HEAVY SNOW 4 SSW LOVELAND 40.37N 105.10W

10/26/2011 M7.0 INCH LARIMER CO AMATEUR RADIO

6 IN DIAMETER BRANCH BROKEN, HEAR OTHER TREES SNAPPING

AND FALLING

0359 AM HEAVY SNOW 1 N GREELEY 40.44N 104.74W

10/26/2011 M10.3 INCH WELD CO TRAINED SPOTTER

CONSIDERABLE TREE DAMAGE. SNOWFALL RATE OF 2 INCHES PER

HOUR SINCE 2 AM.

0205 AM HEAVY SNOW 2 ENE GREELEY 40.44N 104.74W

10/26/2011 M6.1 INCH WELD CO TRAINED SPOTTER

NUMEROUS TREE BRANCHES DOWN

0130 AM HEAVY SNOW FORT COLLINS 40.56N 105.07W