Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 20-22 Mid-Atlantic OBS thread

Ellinwood

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in York PA the last few hours, car serviced and getting my ski's from the shop. Its been snowing there lightly since 6pm. Snow shut off around 10 miles north of the PA border Haven't had a flake here 5 miles south of the PA border. Thats a sign this is gonna be bad, when its snowing places northeast of me before it gets here in a storm coming from the southwest lol.

if the guy N of Harrisburg is getting mod snow and its still 32.5 with little accum, we are certain to see no more than a coating

I said the storm was further north than any of the models had it

this winter rocks....err.....sucks rocks

Its just a wave along the arctic front, problem was the arctic front did not make it as far south as it was supposed too. Think about the temps today in the mid 40's all the way to the PA border. The front was supposed to make it 50 miles south of where it got. That is the boundary the wave is moving along so naturally its north also.

if the guy N of Harrisburg is getting mod snow and its still 32.5 with little accum, we are certain to see no more than a coating

I said the storm was further north than any of the models had it

this winter rocks....err.....sucks rocks

no way he had mod snow for more than like 3 minutes based on radar

the stuff which would get us is still to the west

I was in York PA the last few hours, car serviced and getting my ski's from the shop. Its been snowing there lightly since 6pm. Snow shut off around 10 miles north of the PA border Haven't had a flake here 5 miles south of the PA border. Thats a sign this is gonna be bad, when its snowing places northeast of me before it gets here in a storm coming from the southwest lol.

that is ALWAYS the kiss of death because it means its gone to our west and surrounded from the north

no way he had mod snow for more than like 3 minutes based on radar

the stuff which would get us is still to the west

true and i think you may get a burst when the front comes through, but everything has shifted well north even from earlier today. The precip moving across central PA was supposed to affect areas right along the Mason Dixon line this evening but it is 50 miles north. It wouldn't have much impact on DC though you are right, but it means places north of Baltimore that were still holding out hope for perhaps 2 or 3 inches with good ratios are probably now in the "hope for an inch" category.

Its just a wave along the arctic front, problem was the arctic front did not make it as far south as it was supposed too. Think about the temps today in the mid 40's all the way to the PA border. The front was supposed to make it 50 miles south of where it got. That is the boundary the wave is moving along so naturally its north also.

We hit a high of 37.1 here today according to my thermometer.

yeah 46F in Rosslyn, not very conducive to snow, you think it will start as rain?

that's warm.. really? i dunno. it could i guess be a few drops to start, but i would not really expect it to last long if it did from south of d.c. and north. i dont expect it to amount a ton overall but it was pretty clear that would be the case before today. could still get some decent bursts based on how radar has looked in wv over the past few hours.

you can clearly see the problem in a nutshell

the trough coming down from Canada in the Great Lakes was supposed to come down to N WV or Western PA

instead, it never made it further south than central Indiana and it seems to be pulling north already at the end of this loop

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/models/noaaport_loop.php?PATH=/var/www/leads_images/satellite/SPN/WV/

perhaps the front got further south west of Baltimore, but I know when driving from Baltimore to York up 83 today it was still 43 as I crossed the Mason Dixon line.

That's possible....I am also down in the valley....some times we are a bit slower to warm up (and vise versa at other times).

that's warm.. really? i dunno. it could i guess be a few drops to start, but i would not really expect it to last long if it did from south of d.c. and north. i dont expect it to amount a ton overall but it was pretty clear that would be the case before today. could still get some decent bursts based on how radar has looked in wv over the past few hours.

since i posted that it's down to 42, so going in the right direction.

Mother nature is laughing at me, no matter how low I set my expectations, she finds a way to lower the bar.

reminds me of the joke "if a girl doesn't meet your standards, lower them"

well, if a snow event this winter doesn't meet out standards, we need to lower them

problem is, you can't go below 0!

as for WVA radar returns, the Apps love that qpf

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/products/radarse/radarloop.htm

Archived