• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Analogs Suggest A Cold February For NYC

bluewave

After a colder than normal December in NYC,the average January temperature is running below normal at Central Park.

Winters since 1900 when December picked up at least six inches of snow coupled with a colder than normal December and January

featured a cold February on average.Out of 17 years ,14 were colder than normal.

Average temperature of years....31.1.....normal February average...34.6........or a -3.5 monthly departure

La Nina February's after a very cold December...It's closer to average... 1963 and 1996 were cold...56,71,01 were mild...the mild years had a cold March...The only mild March came in 1963...A year with below average snowfall...this year is special so far and we could see a great climax in early March...

Bluewave,

I agree with your idea that the NYC will likely see a colder than normal February. In fact, I suspect that a significant portion of the eastern third to half of the USA, southern Ontario, and southern Quebec, except for northern Maine north and eastward could wind up colder than normal. February should also see a continuation of above to perhaps much above normal snowfall from Philadelphia to Boston. I'll post more on that when either this weekend or early next week when I put together my February thoughts.

Bluewave,

I agree with your idea that the NYC will likely see a colder than normal February. In fact, I suspect that a significant portion of the eastern third to half of the USA, southern Ontario, and southern Quebec, except for northern Maine north and eastward could wind up colder than normal. February should also see a continuation of above to perhaps much above normal snowfall from Philadelphia to Boston. I'll post more on that when either this weekend or early next week when I put together my February thoughts.

Don,

The pattern has really been persistent.It's turning out to be one of those winters that just keeps on giving.

Don,

The pattern has really been persistent.It's turning out to be one of those winters that just keeps on giving.

Persistence seems to be the theme of the past 9 months; last summer was persistently hot and the winter so far has been persistently cold and snowy.

Hopefully spring is persistently ****ing awesome.

Nina Springs here are usually chilly with threats from backdoor fronts. There's usually at least one or two final snow threats in March, like in 2001 and 2009. But this isn't a normal Nina that torches for much of Jan/Feb, so who knows.

The torrid heat we had last summer can stay the f**k away, please.

Archived