• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Which of these 4 stations will reach 100'' this winter?

weatherwiz

Which of these stations will reach 100'' this winter?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reach 100'' of snowfall

This is a stupid poll question. PVD? It's unlikely any of them will get near 100 except for ORH with some March madness.

If the question is whether BDL is going to break 100 inches with their wrong total, then fine. There is nothing wrong with their measurements. They just screwed up their final total, whether deliberately or not, like they've done in the past without any questions. I emailed the NWS multiple times the last time this happened a few years ago and got no reply.

An example of what BDL might do -- it snows 3" as of midnight and they pick up another inch after midnight for a total of 4" from an event. BDL reports 7" for the storm -- 3" for yesterday and 4" for today.

It says in the first post that we all know BDL screwed up their totals for a few of the storms, there is nothing we can do about it unless it is somehow corrected with actual numbers and that would be up to the NWS...so while their 51.6'' is tainted it's an official number as of now and that's what we have to go by.

As far as this poll being a "stupid question" it really wasn't meant to be completely 100% serious and it isn't 100% jokingly either...I think everyone pretty much knows that.

Will has mentioned the climo from here on out for 3 of the locations, if each station from here on out gets climo that's anywhere from 70-80''...given how this winter has been extremely active over the past several weeks and there are no signs of it slowing down I think it's fair to say there stands a fair chance that these stations finish here on out above climo.

We have this storm Friday which could certainly end up being a 6-12'' type deal if things continue the way they did tonight and then a potentially big storm mid week coming up.

We still have a little over a week in this month plus the entire month of February and March to go.

BOS: 68.0"

ORH: 73.1"

BDL: 69.6"

PVD: 60.0"

What's also pretty incredible about this is how uniform the totals are...really not that much of a spread between the 4 stations, especially BOS, ORH, BDL. That was just a sick winter though, everyone from like VA to ME just got absolutely crushed.

What's also pretty incredible about this is how uniform the totals are...really not that much of a spread between the 4 stations, especially BOS, ORH, BDL. That was just a sick winter though, everyone from like VA to ME just got absolutely crushed.

The storms were so cold in Dec and Jan that it didn't really matter where you were. Same in February too. There were some more marginal storms in March and April which allowed ORH to pull away a little (to 133")...but all 4 stations still got over 100"

SWFE/Clippers with even precipitation distribution FTW?

I see the PVD "where's the snow?" measuring continues.

25.8" thus far this year.

Just out of curiosity, I went through the PNS reports to pick out the other spotter snow total reports from Warwick/Cranston to compare.

12/27 PVD 9.3" Cranston 10.5"

1/08 PVD 1.4 West Warwick 2.0"

1/09 PVD 1.3" Cranston 1.5"

1/12 PVD 12.2" Warwick 15.0" Cranston 13.5"

PVD 24.2"

Spotters 29"

In all honesty the differences wouldn't be all that strange except that the PVD official total has been the lowest total in the region--in every storm this year. Statistic would indicate the chances of that happening coincidentally to be ridiculously low.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived