• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Growing season continues to expand at PHL

BucksCO_PA

PHL has now gone 18 yrs since recording the last OCT freeze in 1992 the longest such period on record. Additionally the monthly minimum of 41 degrees marked the 1st time since 1994 that temps failed to reach the 30’s. 41 degree minimum also ties the monthly low of the 1984 blowtorch OCT.

Decadal trend of the mean 1st freeze at Philadelphia, see if you can really go out on the limb & identify when the official recording station was moved from center city to the current airport location.

We have not shot at breaking the all-time latest freeze date however the latest date at PHL is 11/26 back in 1978 & that is going to be a close call depending on how fast the cold air gets here latter next week.

I wonder too if the move of observations from center city to the airport caused the leap forward in the first freeze date. Those 1960s. Great looking graph Carl.

Tony - During the 1960's / 70's / 80's PHL recorded 45 OCT days of 32 or <, during the 1990's / 2000's only 2 days. Much more at play than simply broad brushing as all heat island.

Tony - During the 1960's / 70's / 80's PHL recorded 45 OCT days of 32 or <, during the 1990's / 2000's only 2 days. Much more at play than simply broad brushing as all heat island.

I think the site was changed after the 1980's but I'm not sure...

I remember the cold October mornings of 1964 and 1965 like it was yesterday...Listening to the radio every hour for the latest temperature...Waking up to a new record low was routine...When was the last record low?...

I'll add another stat -- we've yet to see a high sub 50 degrees in Philadelphia this cold season...assuming we hit 50 today we have had 50 or above since March 27th...that would be the 239th day of 50 or above in Philadelphia (beating out the old record from 1994 of 238).

I remember the cold October mornings of 1964 and 1965 like it was yesterday...Listening to the radio every hour for the latest temperature...Waking up to a new record low was routine...When was the last record low?...

The official airport observations were moved from one of the terminal bldgs to the current ASOS location in DEC of 1995. The current ASOS location is a much more representative location away from bldgs & runways, as Tony pointed the previous terminal bldg location definitely had a warm bias.

The official airport observations were moved from one of the terminal bldgs to the current ASOS location in DEC of 1995. The current ASOS location is a much more representative location away from bldgs & runways, as Tony pointed the previous terminal bldg location definitely had a warm bias.

I don't think that's correct, I recall an article which was copied on Eastern which noted that temp obs were taken out on the airfield even pre-ASOS (it was an article about PHL's stats during 1993-94)

I believe the answer to that question is May 21, 2002. I don't think there's been any this year, and from what I see, none in the prior 7 years.

PHL has now gone 18 yrs since recording the last OCT freeze in 1992 the longest such period on record. Additionally the monthly minimum of 41 degrees marked the 1st time since 1994 that temps failed to reach the 30’s. 41 degree minimum also ties the monthly low of the 1984 blowtorch OCT.

Decadal trend of the mean 1st freeze at Philadelphia, see if you can really go out on the limb & identify when the official recording station was moved from center city to the current airport location.

I wanna guess! I wanna guess!

Was it 1940?

:whistle::arrowhead::lol:

Its amazing to see the bounty in the farmers markets this late in the year. Each vendor I talk to is stunned that stuff keeps growing. While I've had great produce the idea that we haven't had a killing freeze yet in the greater PHL area is astounding. In my lifetime it seems PHL has been picked up and moved 150 miles south and now sits next to DC meteorologically.

I don't think that's correct, I recall an article which was copied on Eastern which noted that temp obs were taken out on the airfield even pre-ASOS (it was an article about PHL's stats during 1993-94)

Hey Ray,

I posted that article several years ago, you have quite the memory, specifically stated rain & snow obs were taken on the roof of Terminal B. Did not mention the exact location of the temp obs. Hurricane's book indicates the official obs were taken at the "New" Terminal Bldg until the 12/95 ASOS setup.

And yes 1940, ding ding ding, is the correct answer for the relocation to what was then called SW Airport.

Hey Ray,

I posted that article several years ago, you have quite the memory, specifically stated rain & snow obs were taken on the roof of Terminal B. Did not mention the exact location of the temp obs. Hurricane's book indicates the official obs were taken at the "New" Terminal Bldg until the 12/95 ASOS setup.

And yes 1940, ding ding ding, is the correct answer for the relocation to what was then called SW Airport.

I must admit, I knew it was 1940 already ;)

In North Delaware and Chester county and I believe most of Delaware county there have been several freezes so far this month. It seems the philly reporting station is literally an island by itself, in fact they are recording temps higher than reporting stations such as Georgetown De which is well south of the airport!

I've been as low as 28 and its still going. The pots are right against the yard, but the lettuce in the garden is still alive too. I don't know what's in those seeds.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy thanksgiving to you to tony. You should be fine then fri night, sunday night you may have an issue. Is the lettuce or garden in general against a building?

Lowest has been 28, can't say for how long. I had 5 freezing mornings.

Carl, thanks for the info, used it in the afd this morning.

Your very welcome Tony, looked like a lock earlier in the week but this weekend is going to be real close at PHL.

Got in another round this afternoon, Five Ponds was in amazing shape for late NOV, gotta love lush fairways / greens at winter rates :thumbsup:

Your very welcome Tony, looked like a lock earlier in the week but this weekend is going to be real close at PHL.

Got in another round this afternoon, Five Ponds was in amazing shape for late NOV, gotta love lush fairways / greens at winter rates :thumbsup:

I heard five ponds was a great public course. Is the course on street rd? in warminster.

Archived