• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Euro Shows Major Winter Storm for the Eastern Seaboard

Both the GFS and Euro are digging the northern stream system from 72-96 too far south and west...S KS/N OK/S MO do not see major winter weather events from northern stream originating systems unless you have a massive PNA ridge out west which we do not have though we have a big broad ridge there....the GFS should be more north and hence faster ejecting the storm out which would result in a bigger storm more northward on the East Coast....the Euro does other things wrong afterwards which causes it to have a later storm than the GFS or GEM want to....the most likely scenario is something very close to the 12z GEM but more amplified and further northwest, the GEM has been a bit progressive all season though its had the right idea most of the time.

Both the GFS and Euro are digging the northern stream system from 72-96 too far south and west...S KS/N OK/S MO do not see major winter weather events from northern stream originating systems unless you have a massive PNA ridge out west which we do not have though we have a big broad ridge there....the GFS should be more north and hence faster ejecting the storm out which would result in a bigger storm more northward on the East Coast....the Euro does other things wrong afterwards which causes it to have a later storm than the GFS or GEM want to....the most likely scenario is something very close to the 12z GEM but more amplified and further northwest, the GEM has been a bit progressive all season though its had the right idea most of the time.

The 00Z GEM continues to be on top of this storm...the Euro will probably still spit out a storm at 00Z but be too late with it....the pattern in the WATL is not extremely favorable and this system has some potential to track close enough for mixing concerns on the coast.

The 00Z GEM continues to be on top of this storm...the Euro will probably still spit out a storm at 00Z but be too late with it....the pattern in the WATL is not extremely favorable and this system has some potential to track close enough for mixing concerns on the coast.

Can you post a Map of tonights Euro run?

DT says a major storm is likely

From wxrisk.com

The main issue of concern and focused from MY which really is on the THREAT of significant winter storm threat for JAN 21-22-23.

THREAT… not yet a fact or a forecast

Given the number of big storms which is hammered the Northeast US this winter it is easy to assume that the big East coast winter storm scenrio #1 is probably going to turn out to be orrect . And of course given the seasonal trend it’s hard to argue against that the BIG East coast winter storm idea. But if we decide to use science as opposed to weenie wishcasting… the last 3 big East coast winter storms have all occured with strong High latitude blocking over Eastern Canada and Greenland (a strong negative phase of the NAO) . That is clearly not going to be the case this time around and certainly not by January 20-21-22.

Right now I do not have a particular favorite— I am not biased towards one scenario or another one. The change in the pattern in the jet stream over the Eastern Canada and Greenland should be significant in my opinion so as to favor the flatter weaker way of scenario affecting only the Virginia North Carolina this coming weekend .

So are you purposefully lying in the main wx section or did he upgrade his thoughts?

Is this the system you are talking about? http://www.nco.ncep....fs_pcp_096l.gif (12Z GFS at +96 hrs), so Friday morning?

GGEM is going crazy about it, but nothing else even comes close to it, unfortunately... (120 hour total pcp map. ) Also quite warm with such a strong system, so there would be a lot of mixing issues along coastal areas in this projection.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/ggem/00zggemp120_NE120.gif

Are you sure? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but the 0C (850 MP Temp) line doesn't move north of Southern Virginia from 90 - 120 hours. The low is inland, but cold, right?

depends where you are. South of DC...looking too warm for anything much end of this week. DC on north looks good. Euro supporting the idea. Doesn't look like a huge event...but maybe a nice overrunning advisory event for a lot of folks.

depends where you are. South of DC...looking too warm for anything much end of this week. DC on north looks good. Euro supporting the idea. Doesn't look like a huge event...but maybe a nice overrunning advisory event for a lot of folks.

I remember Don mentioned a minor to perhaps moderate event before the cold air comes in-- I read this to mean something on the order of 2-4.

Archived