• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorology Minor?

So my school (College of Charleston) does not offer a meteorology major, but they offer a minor in meteorology. I was thinking of minoring in meteorology, but I wasn't sure what exactly I could do with it? I am majoring in exercise science so I won't have an atmospheric science major or anything like that. I was just wondering what, if any, career paths in meteorology I could take with a met minor. Thanks.

So my school (College of Charleston) does not offer a meteorology major, but they offer a minor in meteorology. I was thinking of minoring in meteorology, but I wasn't sure what exactly I could do with it? I am majoring in exercise science so I won't have an atmospheric science major or anything like that. I was just wondering what, if any, career paths in meteorology I could take with a met minor. Thanks.

I dont necessarily know the answer to your question but Im sort of in the same boat...I majored in Meteorology at Millersville University in Penn, but I did not like the away from home experience and was not very good in Calculus, therefore Now I am back home and now majoring in Geography with a minor in meteorology, about 2 semesters left..My situation, I hope I can get a job in Geography with some sort of meteorology background...Now, unless you take broadcasting you have no shot at a TV type job, But id imagine its possible to get a job in meteorology in the private sector with a minor, taking less pay of course...Maybe someone that has experienced this path can chime in.

Getting a met minor would be a very bad idea...why would anyone hire you when there already too many mets graduating with met majors that they can pick from? See the thread about reconsidering meteorology...

I dont necessarily know the answer to your question but Im sort of in the same boat...I majored in Meteorology at Millersville University in Penn, but I did not like the away from home experience and was not very good in Calculus, therefore Now I am back home and now majoring in Geography with a minor in meteorology, about 2 semesters left..My situation, I hope I can get a job in Geography with some sort of meteorology background...Now, unless you take broadcasting you have no shot at a TV type job, But id imagine its possible to get a job in meteorology in the private sector with a minor, taking less pay of course...Maybe someone that has experienced this path can chime in.

It would only be useful if you planned to get additional graduate schooling specific to meteorology later or if you don't care to work in the discipline.

I'd do it only for your own interest. It might look impressive on a resume and help you land a job but in general you are not going to get employed anywhere in the meteorological field with only a minor in the subject....

I second this. I pulled up the requirements for the minor for your school and at best you get an introductory level background on the matter. You are required to take a year of physics but no calculus. I don't think any of the elective courses for the minor would give you a strong background in dynamic, synoptic, or mesoscale that you would get with a major in the subject. Honestly, I think if you have a strong interest though don't intend to major in the subject, you may be able to learn just as much if not more than the intro course on your own from various books. Im sure many here can suggest a few that you might be able to find cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

Jake had the best comment to in my opinion.

I minored in history simply because I loved it-- never used it and never well. Maybe it sounded good on a resume, maybe not-- You have to take a certain number of electives and I think it was only 6 extra hours for my hx minor. If you've been a life long weather hobbiest, best route to go.

You might be able to be a climatologist or something like that.

I'd nix the met minor idea if I were you. I'm wondering why the College of Charleston is even offering it. I guess to enhance an environmental science degree. If you're bent on getting a minor, I'd choose something related to or supportive of your major. Business perhaps?

You might be able to be a climatologist or something like that.

Haha...no. That'd require at least a full BS degree...more likely an MS or PhD if you were serious about getting a job in this market.

Archived