• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion Part Two

NickD2011

Mt Holly made a good point in their AFD about surface lows not liking to track over snow covered land (because of poor WAA ahead - at least I assume that's their reasoning). That would seem to agree with your anecdote.

Thank you for explaining the surface low i read that earlier this evening and wanted to know why!

Thank you!

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is very interesting. Even during the blizzard, way out on the Forks, there was little to no mixing, and it was sleet, rather than rain, that mixed in. And the low was right on top of them!

The low I think was just so strong it was pulling the thermal gradient in very tight to the center, if that was a 996mb low its likely they'd have seen rain with parts of NYC seeing sleet.

the snow growth is very blah for i 95 south...you get up towards abe the omega in the snow growth region is nuts.

I agree with you and earthlight. With the extreme Omega growth shown near ABE, with banding and frontogenic forcing, thundersnow with snow rates of 2-3 inches per hour is really possible. How does this compare to the Feb 1983 storm event ? As I said earlier- a winter storm warning for Memphis, Tn means heavy snow for us. This has been happening since the 1980's. The Memphis low rides the lower appalachian mts and then redevelopments off the mid atlantic coast. I have seen this time after time.

I like that. I want to make sure that coastal low is far enough out that it does not cause any mixing issues along the coast.

yea but the problem is now, the primary is stronger than the coastal, meaning you get more southerly winds until the coastal takes over. The coastal on this run is developing way to slow

The low I think was just so strong it was pulling the thermal gradient in very tight to the center, if that was a 996mb low its likely they'd have seen rain with parts of NYC seeing sleet.

Very true! The stronger the low is, the closer you can be to the center and not worry too much about rain (and even if it does rain, it would be remembered as a mainly snow/frozen storm.)

It's ridiculously slow...the NAM has a terrible slow bias in this range, too. Dynamics look good, though..so it should catch up in a few frames.

That primary is strong though.

Its showing all of its usual biases, amping things up and overdoing the primary and as you mention being too slow...the NAM is often too slow even in its strong range...honestly given the GFS performance this year in the range we're currently in I'd still be more worried about a strung out storm missing then something too far inland

That is NG in my book.. I hate mixing situations. I would prefer either an all rain situation or all snow. The mixing situation makes driving impossible, and digging out extremely hard. With all snow it isn't as bad.

yea but the problem is now, the primary is stronger than the coastal, meaning you get more southerly winds until the coastal takes over. The coastal on this run is developing way to slow

Archived