• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather and the Media ~ How did they do on the Blizzzard

HSNN4

In Philly, Hurricane gave the most pre-coverage of the storm and the first one to honk on bigger totals (4-8 in Philly) on Friday night. 3 was good -- they were too low on snowfall on Friday night but acknowledged the potential for more accumulations in the city than the 1-3 they called for Friday night but they were at least "on the board" with something. they also were drumming up the snowstorm potential on Christmas morning. Channel 6 was awful, awful, awful with their coverage until Christmas Night....they called for out to sea on Friday night and when their "forecaster" was pressed by Jim Gardner for a "worst case" scenario the girl said "at worst, 4 or 5" but I really feel that this will miss out to sea."

During the height of the storm I lost the cable, satellite TV feed and Internet so I only caught the tail end of the live storm coverage and got to see most of the post storm coverage, WABC 7 I would agree I the best coverage, Some of the more embarrassing coverage has to go to News 12 New Jersey, They where hell bend on two counties Monmouth and Ocean having poor plowing while Michelle powers there weather anchor was giving the snow totals in degrees and not inches. They also had this asinine poll on " Do you think people have more sex when it snows " only a total moron would ask that question while where all in a state of emergency,

Unreal, they get the back of shame for sure, some of the media outlets are entertaining though, that is why I usually keep it tuned here so I can listen to the resident experts like yourself to get the real story on what will be or is happening in terms of sensible weather. Looking at it from the Emergency Management end of things (obviously you know where I am coming from) I think this is one of the best places to get weather information without all the media fluff.

During the height of the storm I lost the cable, satellite TV feed and Internet so I only caught the tail end of the live storm coverage and got to see most of the post storm coverage, WABC 7 I would agree I the best coverage, Some of the more embarrassing coverage has to go to News 12 New Jersey, They where hell bend on two counties Monmouth and Ocean having poor plowing while Michelle powers there weather anchor was giving the snow totals in degrees and not inches. They also had this asinine poll on " Do you think people have more sex when it snows " only a total moron would ask that question while where all in a state of emergency,

I usually don't watch her but I was disappointed in Janice Huff last week. Around wednesday she had up chance of flurries Sunday. I mean yes the models were wavering but clearly she had to know it could be much more than flurries and with a holiday weekend upcoming she should have at least mentioned the possibility of something more significant. She does have a meteorology degree by the way.

Agreed. Ch. 7 was the only local station with live coverage during the day Sunday.

I usually don't watch her but I was disappointed in Janice Huff last week. Around wednesday she had up chance of flurries Sunday. I mean yes the models were wavering but clearly she had to know it could be much more than flurries and with a holiday weekend upcoming she should have at least mentioned the possibility of something more significant. She does have a meteorology degree by the way.

She has more or less taken over for Sam Champion as the conservative of the conservative when it comes to the snow forecasts in NYC.

ABC going from Champion to Goldberg/Smith is like the Mets going from Dallas Green to Bobby Valentine (or any other analogy you feel is apt).

What exactly happened to him anyway? He could not have possibily retired...he got there in 88 or so and he was probably 30 at the oldest back then, I can't imagine he'd have retired at only 50.

Besides for a few it always amazes me the the number 1 TV and Radio market in the country New York City always hires and attracts the worse weather anchors. I have been to other parts of the country and have watched far more superior weather broadcast.

It goes without saying that many including Janice Huff and Mike Woods have weather producers to make the forecast and lay out the graphics for the premadonna on camera people. I find it very hard to believe that Janice Huff or Mike Woods would even know what I computer model is let alone how to read it. while may be a the nicest person in the world and can read / deliver a weather forecast on TV is presents to me zero skill in the field of Meterorology.

Its probably the same reason why we have some of the worst radio stations. It's so competitive and for whatever reason the stations feel we want someone who is attractive with a nice smile rather than someone who knows what they are talking about. Then again WABC has the best meteorology team and they usually kick as* in the ratings.

Besides for a few it always amazes me the the number 1 TV and Radio market in the country New York City always hires and attracts the worse weather anchors. I have been to other parts of the country and have watched far more superior weather broadcast.

It goes without saying that many including Janice Huff and Mike Woods have weather producers to make the forecast and lay out the graphics for the premadonna on camera people. I find it very hard to believe that Janice Huff or Mike Woods would even know what I computer model is let alone how to read it. while may be a the nicest person in the world and can read / deliver a weather forecast on TV is presents to me zero skill in the field of Meterorology.

In terms of knowledge, lead time, and putting the storm on the table, Glen Schwartz of NBC 10. He was the first television meteorologist I saw to paint this as a significant storm, and go with a 6 to 10" forecast for coastal nj. If I remember correctly, this was his forecast on the 12/24/2010 11PM newscast. From there, he upped the totals accordingly, and believe he did a really good job overall. We ended up getting 30" in my area when all was said and done.

Glenn also took the time to do at least one webcast, where he broke down what the models were showing, and explained why this was such a tough forecast. If I remember correctly, he did this around midnight on Christmas Eve after the 11PM newscast. True dedication on his part. When I was watching him on air, I saw a real meteorologist, who is a master of his field. When compared to some of the others on the air, he is a breath of fresh air. My weather IQ actually went up instead of down when I watched him.

If you are reading this Glenn, when I was digging out with my neighbors, people were talking about how you were the first to show this as a significant storm. Based on your forecast alone, people were stocking up on gas, food, refilling their prescriptions, etc... Whether or not your forecast helped to save lives, I do not know. But there was an extended time in my town where if you called 911, they simply said we do not have the manpower. Police, fire, and ems were not able to get out and respond to calls. It was a tough storm and forecast, but you handled it very well in my opinion.

They tend to eventually get booted though...Hilary Andrews from the TWC Bob Stokes sex scandal fiasco was at one point on FOX in NYC (1999-2000 or so??) and was fired when her probationary period ended...John Marshall who I don't think is bad meteorologically but is weak on-air wise was fired by NBC recently...CBS over the years has had the award of having some of the worst ones...that Rodgers guy as well as Dannon were just nightmares, they have had some decent ones as well though....

They tend to eventually get booted though...Hilary Andrews from the TWC Bob Stokes sex scandal fiasco was at one point on FOX in NYC (1999-2000 or so??) and was fired when her probationary period ended...John Marshall who I don't think is bad meteorologically but is weak on-air wise was fired by NBC recently...CBS over the years has had the award of having some of the worst ones...that Rodgers guy as well as Dannon were just nightmares, they have had some decent ones as well though....

Keep in mind this is when weather brings ratings, you see now local sports anchor stars have been let go because the 11:30 P.M. sports report is meaningless because most people have cable, the internet, and ESPN and know the sports scores well before 11:30 P.M.

He was the first local met, but as I stated previously. I was amazed at the CNN meteorologist who at 3pm on the 24th, was announcing this as a major east coast hit and put out a snowfall map with the entire area in the northeast getting at least 6 inches. This person when out on a limb, but felt strongly enough about it to actually make a map with snowfall totals and all well in advance of everyone else.

In terms of knowledge, lead time, and putting the storm on the table, Glen Schwartz of NBC 10. He was the first television meteorologist I saw to paint this as a significant storm, and go with a 6 to 10" forecast for coastal nj. If I remember correctly, this was his forecast on the 12/24/2010 11PM newscast. From there, he upped the totals accordingly, and believe he did a really good job overall. We ended up getting 30" in my area when all was said and done.

Glenn also took the time to do at least one webcast, where he broke down what the models were showing, and explained why this was such a tough forecast. If I remember correctly, he did this around midnight on Christmas Eve after the 11PM newscast. True dedication on his part. When I was watching him on air, I saw a real meteorologist, who is a master of his field. When compared to some of the others on the air, he is a breath of fresh air. My weather IQ actually went up instead of down when I watched him.

If you are reading this Glenn, when I was digging out with my neighbors, people were talking about how you were the first to show this as a significant storm. Based on your forecast alone, people were stocking up on gas, food, refilling their prescriptions, etc... Whether or not your forecast helped to save lives, I do not know. But there was an extended time in my town where if you called 911, they simply said we do not have the manpower. Police, fire, and ems were not able to get out and respond to calls. It was a tough storm and forecast, but you handled it very well in my opinion.

Fox 5 had some good coverage with Craig Allen laying out the different track scenarios and explaining well in lay terms how the storm was projected almost universally to go out to sea but then looped back in. Their projection of 10-16" was a little conservative in the end but everyone's was anyway. Craig Allen is great at delivering some top notch analysis for us meteo junkies but also giving it to the rest of the public in ways they can understand. You can clearly tell that meteorology is his true passion in life and isn't in it for money or publicity. Same with Lee Goldberg, Bill Evans and Nick Gregory. Those are the mets I watch for true analysis on upcoming threats.

Can't Argue that last point Allan is solid, One of my Top 5 in the NYC Metro Area. While never met Hurricane Glenn we both attended long a go a winter weather media workshop by the NWS in Mount Holly NJ, The man acted professional and seemed to be a class act. I always caught Glenn on the Weather Channel when it was a weather channel and at times on Philly TV. You guys are lucky to have him down there. Forgive me but what Newscast does Glenn work is he a morning or evening guy guy down there in Philly.

Hey I can remember when I produced a low budget weather cast out of Toms River NJ from Adelphia cable communications.

The program was Ocean County News Watch 8. Did it for 3 years. When I was hired I met was the News director got a another 45 seconds which brought the segment up to 2.45 which is a lifetime on the air with a live report. Christ news package stories don't even run that long, anyway we revamp the entire weather cast, introduced things like a weather watcher network, we only took on people who had weather stations so it weeded out the people that may have just wanted to hype numbers. researched every automated station in the county added a forest fire weather and marine forecast and in the summer a beach / surf report. All our readings where real nothing fake like this hyper local nonsense that News 12 uses that over half the locations don't exists and the temperature readings are phony. We did a get job the local funeral homes killed them self to advertise in the weather time slot and all and all at the end of the day we did a nice job for the local viewer.

Archived