Tyler Penland Posted Tuesday at 11:57 PM Share Posted Tuesday at 11:57 PM 36 minutes ago, Met1985 said: My low was 41 degrees and my high was 74 today. Beautiful. We had our first 30s of the season at 39. Was 38 down on the river below me and 45 a few hundred yards up the hill. Wild how big a swing you can get with radiational cooling in the valleys this time of year. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted yesterday at 12:03 AM Share Posted yesterday at 12:03 AM 6 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said: We had our first 30s of the season at 39. Was 38 down on the river below me and 45 a few hundred yards up the hill. Wild how big a swing you can get with radiational cooling in the valleys this time of year. Yeah no kidding. These microclimates around here are fun to watch. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Buckethead Posted yesterday at 12:52 AM Share Posted yesterday at 12:52 AM Yeah no kidding. These microclimates around here are fun to watch.I was at 53 at 7am at the house at 4360 while 1.5 miles away it was 41 at my office at the bottom of the mountain at 3200'. Never ceases to amaze me. Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk 3 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maggie Valley Steve Posted yesterday at 10:43 AM Share Posted yesterday at 10:43 AM 45 at the house this morning. TS Isaias is strengthening fairly quickly overnight ahead of schedule and the forecast track has shifted E to near Mobile Bay. NHC in their 5 AM discussion stated that the track could shift further E later today and Hurricane Watches are likely this afternoon along portions of the Northern Gulf Coast. Both Air Force and NOAA aircraft will begin low level sampling missions today. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted yesterday at 11:25 AM Share Posted yesterday at 11:25 AM When I left the house my temp was 45 degrees. I'm really hoping we at least get an inch of rainfall this weekend. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted yesterday at 11:27 AM Share Posted yesterday at 11:27 AM 42 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said: 45 at the house this morning. TS Isaias is strengthening fairly quickly overnight ahead of schedule and the forecast track has shifted E to near Mobile Bay. NHC in their 5 AM discussion stated that the track could shift further E later today and Hurricane Watches are likely this afternoon along portions of the Northern Gulf Coast. Both Air Force and NOAA aircraft will begin low level sampling missions today. Yeah I think this thing comes East on the inland track as well. Should bring us some very beneficial rains. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tyler Penland Posted yesterday at 12:39 PM Share Posted yesterday at 12:39 PM HWRF slams the escarpment on rainfall. A further east track sets up nearly perfect enhanced southeast flow. It bumps PWATs up to nearly 2" with 30-40kt southeast winds at 925mb. 4 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maggie Valley Steve Posted 20 hours ago Share Posted 20 hours ago Afternoon updated 5 Day QPF forecast is out. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted 20 hours ago Share Posted 20 hours ago 38 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said: Afternoon updated 5 Day QPF forecast is out. Honestly I hope this thing moves east. We need the rainfall. May cause minor flooding but it is what it is. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Moonhowl Posted 20 hours ago Share Posted 20 hours ago 3 minutes ago, Met1985 said: Honestly I hope this thing moves east. We need the rainfall. May cause minor flooding but it is what it is. A bit different antecedent moisture conditions now than before the last tropical system that came this way to say the least. Scary dry IMBY, definitely want the rain but not the wind. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maggie Valley Steve Posted 19 hours ago Share Posted 19 hours ago I'm not to concerned about a significant wind threat at this time as Isaias will likely have transitioned to Extra Tropical by the time it makes it to our latitude. Looks like less than an inch near the border and 1 to 3 inches along the Escarpment with a couple of isolated total of 4 to 6 inches in upslope areas. A weak cold front arrives Friday setting up CAD that actually could reduce rainfall amounts. The highest gusts I'm currently seeing are in to 30 to 35 range. I'll take a closer look in the morning for our local Region. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maggie Valley Steve Posted 18 hours ago Share Posted 18 hours ago The 5PM Update shows Isaias stronger with sustained winds of 65. Tropical Storm Force wind extend out 60 miles from the center. The track was adjusted further E giving a nod to the AI guidance. 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted 18 hours ago Share Posted 18 hours ago 32 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said: The 5PM Update shows Isaias stronger with sustained winds of 65. Tropical Storm Force wind extend out 60 miles from the center. The track was adjusted further E giving a nod to the AI guidance. Good signs for us. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted 4 hours ago Share Posted 4 hours ago Well this thing has trended west so we may not get much rain at all around here Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tyler Penland Posted 3 hours ago Share Posted 3 hours ago 20 minutes ago, Met1985 said: Well this thing has trended west so we may not get much rain at all around here I've been looking for a late season analog that jumped NNW/NW after landfall and I haven't been able to find one. I think we see a slight eastward adjustment today to account for the trough coming in. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted 3 hours ago Share Posted 3 hours ago 27 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said: I've been looking for a late season analog that jumped NNW/NW after landfall and I haven't been able to find one. I think we see a slight eastward adjustment today to account for the trough coming in. I hope so. You'd think it would push it more eastward. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tyler Penland Posted 3 hours ago Share Posted 3 hours ago 7 minutes ago, Met1985 said: I hope so. You'd think it would push it more eastward. I mean you can see the trough shearing it off on the left side this morning. It's not just going to bulldoze into that, and even if the "center" does technically move I don't think it will matter much after landfall- going to be a rapidly expanding moisture envelope. My biggest concern about rain is coastal convection cutting us off. I've noticed a weak low type thing on the hurricane models and now the globals a little bit trying to pop off the SC/GA coast. Could cut moisture flow off some. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Met1985 Posted 2 hours ago Share Posted 2 hours ago 49 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said: I mean you can see the trough shearing it off on the left side this morning. It's not just going to bulldoze into that, and even if the "center" does technically move I don't think it will matter much after landfall- going to be a rapidly expanding moisture envelope. My biggest concern about rain is coastal convection cutting us off. I've noticed a weak low type thing on the hurricane models and now the globals a little bit trying to pop off the SC/GA coast. Could cut moisture flow off some. Yeah I've been reading that may be the biggest problem with moisture heading this way is that convection along the coast will rob us. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Maggie Valley Steve Posted 1 hour ago Share Posted 1 hour ago I don't see that much change in my thinking on rainfall amounts for the Mountains. I am seeing some indication of higher winds, particularly for the Ridgeline and the Valleys as Isaias is absorbed by the trough and transitions into an upper low. Wind gusts to 50 look possible along the Ridges and in the Valley areas gusts to 40 could be possible. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
strongwxnc Posted 1 hour ago Share Posted 1 hour ago 49 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said: I don't see that much change in my thinking on rainfall amounts for the Mountains. I am seeing some indication of higher winds, particularly for the Ridgeline and the Valleys as Isaias is absorbed by the trough and transitions into an upper low. Wind gusts to 50 look possible along the Ridges and in the Valley areas gusts to 40 could be possible. High end totals out of GSP Forecast totals 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now