• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8, 2024 Eclipse

9 minutes ago, Ridingtime said:

For what it’s worth, things are definitely trending better if you follow these maps that I posted here for Dallas, TX. Yesterday cloud cover was at 75% and now it’s down to 48% and the blue is inching closer. Hopefully this keeps up

IMG_1182.png

Unfortunately it seems to be headed in the other direction for the Northeast.

• Like 1

Looks like getting a backup room in Mountain View, AR may pay off.  Even there will be iffy but it is looking better up toward the MO line and towards Poplar Bluff not too far away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eyewall said:

Looks like getting a backup room in Mountain View, AR may pay off.  Even there will be iffy but it is looking better up toward the MO line and towards Poplar Bluff not too far away.

Looks like everything may be coming up roses for you and Arkansas after peering at the latest eclipse time guesses. New York state looking like it's being infested with weeds as far as high, mid, and low level clouds go. Good luck to you! If nothing changes looks like Mrs and I will be canceling our New York reservations Wednesday and sitting this one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KChuck said:

Looks like everything may be coming up roses for you and Arkansas after peering at the latest eclipse time guesses. New York state looking like it's being invested with weeds as far as high, mid, and low level clouds go. Good luck to you! If nothing changes looks like Mrs and I will be canceling our New York reservations Wednesday and sitting this one out.

thank you!

1 hour ago, KChuck said:

Looks like everything may be coming up roses for you and Arkansas after peering at the latest eclipse time guesses. New York state looking like it's being invested with weeds as far as high, mid, and low level clouds go. Good luck to you! If nothing changes looks like Mrs and I will be canceling our New York reservations Wednesday and sitting this one out.

If you haven't seen one before, then don't cancel the reservations. If there is even a small chance that you'll get a good view of the eclipse, you go see it. You'll have more regrets if the weather turned out to be fine and you missed out, than if you go and the weather wasn't ideal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

If you haven't seen one before, then don't cancel the reservations. If there is even a small chance that you'll get a good view of the eclipse, you go see it. You'll have more regrets if the weather turned out to be fine and you missed out, than if you go and the weather wasn't ideal.

I agree. First of all, go Eagles. Second of all, we are still too far out for any reliable cloud cover modeling. Third, in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area at least, the cloud cover is currently projected to be around 50%, which could be high clouds that don’t totally ruin the experience or scattered low cumulus clouds that could dissipate as totality nears.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wiivile said:

I agree. First of all, go Eagles. Second of all, we are still too far out for any reliable cloud cover modeling. Third, in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area at least, the cloud cover is currently projected to be around 50%, which could be high clouds that don’t totally ruin the experience or scattered low cumulus clouds that could dissipate as totality nears.

People from NY are panicking for some reason in the other eclipse thread..... are the chances of clouds in the totality region getting higher?  Specifically talking about Syracuse and the area just north of there.

33 minutes ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

Thanks for the advice! Wife and I saw our first one with the 2017 version in Greenville, SC. She didn't want to go but went to keep me company because she knew how much I enjoyed astronomy. I volunteered several years at the Keystone College Thomas Cuppilari observatory in Fleetville, Pa. I thought I knew so much about eclipses and what to expect after leading slide shows and discussions for so many years...hah! My wife burst out crying when totality came and you could look directly at the sun. My daughter, who doesn't see why people make such a fuss over such events, went on her social page that evening and posted to her friends an apology to all of the eclipse chasers saying that the eclipse was awesome. It's still too early to throw in the towel. My wife has an autoimmune disease that affects her muscles and is on a special diet which complicates traveling. I'm not worrying about the weather until Thursday evening. By then everyone should have a fairly good idea what we're up against. I have until 3pm Friday to cancel reservations and get a full refund so that takes some of the pressure off.

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

People from NY are panicking for some reason in the other eclipse thread..... are the chances of clouds in the totality region getting higher?  Specifically talking about Syracuse and the area just north of there.

Yeah, the forecast is somewhat worse than yesterday for Syracuse, Watertown & west, but continues to look good for areas northeast of there. But nothing looks so bad that it would force me to cancel plans at this point, even if the models were 100% accurate. What’s the other eclipse thread?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, wiivile said:

Yeah, the forecast is somewhat worse than yesterday for Syracuse, Watertown & west, but continues to look good for areas northeast of there. But nothing looks so bad that it would force me to cancel plans at this point, even if the models were 100% accurate. What’s the other eclipse thread?

in OT lol, I mean in Syracuse it's still something like 46% chance of clouds, but trending worse?

56 minutes ago, KChuck said:

Thanks for the advice! Wife and I saw our first one with the 2017 version in Greenville, SC. She didn't want to go but went to keep me company because she knew how much I enjoyed astronomy. I volunteered several years at the Keystone College Thomas Cuppilari observatory in Fleetville, Pa. I thought I knew so much about eclipses and what to expect after leading slide shows and discussions for so many years...hah! My wife burst out crying when totality came and you could look directly at the sun. My daughter, who doesn't see why people make such a fuss over such events, went on her social page that evening and posted to her friends an apology to all of the eclipse chasers saying that the eclipse was awesome. It's still too early to throw in the towel. My wife has an autoimmune disease that affects her muscles and is on a special diet which complicates traveling. I'm not worrying about the weather until Thursday evening. By then everyone should have a fairly good idea what we're up against. I have until 3pm Friday to cancel reservations and get a full refund so that takes some of the pressure off.

I really wish these solar eclipses happened much more often.  Maybe the ESA idea of putting a large spacecraft in orbit to create artificial eclipses could be the solution to let more people see them.

I decided to pull the plug and go to Northern New England instead of Texas. Logistically is pretty easy to switch, and I think the omega block should hold strong, at least if you're in Vermont and Maine.

I actually think Arkansas to southern Illinois may also be a sweet spot sitting in between the troughs. Best of luck everyone. 

• Like 2

Some models show low, mid- and high cloud forecasts. Might depend on the website. Also when we get into range of high-resolution the cloud forecasts will be more precise (hopefully also accurate). Globals tend to smear out clouds. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:19 PM, wiivile said:

As we get closer to April 8, is there any way to tell by cloud cover maps where clouds will be high (less threatening) vs low (more threatening)?

Below is downward solar flux. In contrast to clouds (all or nothing) the solar flux offers hints at cloud thickness and coverage. Still six days out so don't take it verbatim. Just sharing another tool to get another look at the situation. Red is good white is bad. 

Been a couple days due to severe wx at work. @RidingtimeI want to say prioritize the eclipse. Depends on how often you get back to see family. Note the Mid South is another option not too far from DFW - iff such a scenario holds. Ohio Valley has been less consistent. I'm looking fwd to hi-res models this weekend - both for precision and hopefully accuracy.

660d8415743e7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2024 at 10:56 PM, LVblizzard said:

Was really hoping Ohio would be the best place for this as I have family there. But recent forecasts don’t seem very good. Looks like upstate NY could be the play for me. Gonna wait a day or two then make my plans.

New England is better-- like Maine.  Syracuse looks like it might be in doubt for this eclipse.

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

New England is better-- like Maine.  Syracuse looks like it might be in doubt for this eclipse.

If I do take the New England route I’ll be booking a hotel in Albany on Sunday night, where there are still plenty of rooms available. From what I’m seeing, clear skies are likely east of Lake Ontario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Looks worse for Texas today. Glad I switched to northern Arkansas for now.

southplains_Sky35.png

I’ve been so bummed about these trends with TX. About to finally be in Dallas and now considering a long drive early Mon morning northward into Arkansas. Dreading the traffic though for the way back.

Weather Prediction Center WPC is posting charts now. Upstate NY to New England is in play.

For the Heartland, Missouri and Illinois have best odds on today's models. Some EPS give northern Arkansas a little more love. Some CEPS give Indiana slightly better probability than the Multi Model Ensemble below. 

image.png.e8627d0ac7ba9cd12433bc34a1b8b5fe.png

New York will be a nailbiter. That map is for 2pm and totality isn’t til nearly 1.5hrs later. Clouds will be further east. I am using 21z for models that offer it.

7 hours ago, PhiEaglesfan712 said:

I'll be in the Buffalo area. Do you think I'll be able to get a good view if I go to Niagara Falls?

It's possible, the cloud maps I just looked at showed a clear bubble over Western NY with clouds to the east over Syracuse...

then again take everything with a grain of salt, it's been completely sunny for hours now-- no forecast had this!

4 hours ago, wiivile said:

New York will be a nailbiter. That map is for 2pm and totality isn’t til nearly 1.5hrs later. Clouds will be further east. I am using 21z for models that offer it.

That's what I'm thinking too, and it really depends where in NY.

Also, they can't even properly predicts cloud day of and today's sunny day is a perfect example of that.

I just heard Lee Goldberg say that Monday will be very similar to today.