Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Id say let it play out another 48 hours before throwing in the towel. We've been on the other side where it starts trending better then goes the other way. 

My towel is in my hand with my wrist cocked back. If it doesn't start trending better by 12z tomorrow then I'm throwing it in. The energy is just too weak according to the GFS. 

The last 1800Z GFS had us getting about 1 1/2” inches from Sat Morn thru Mon morning. The 0000Z just came out and it now has us (Pgh) getting 3” Inches from Sat Morning thru Monday Morning……there still might be hope!

1 minute ago, CoraopolisWx said:

TBH, as long as we keep this open wave look, I’m treating this storm more as a glorified clipper. 

Yep we need more energy in our neck of the woods like early runs. Unfortunately it's just a weak storm. 

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Btw who jinxed earlier by saying it will suck getting snow flurries while Baltimore kicks our ass in heavy snow. 

Yeah that was me of course. But then I remembered that even if we lose we’re not technically eliminated until Sunday since there’s still an extremely unlikely path to losing and clinching a spot.

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

00z GFS is bad for everyone... there is almost no bingo zone at all

It’s almost worse when there are no winners, especially when winter in the east has been completely nonexistent for 22 months.

This does suck.  Unfortunately, when I saw the bad run yesterday afternoon, it was the death knell.  Once that shows up there usually is little hope or chance left.  The bright side is we can only go up for this storm if that happens.

It just seems every time these storms start getting noticed by the news and websites they up and die off.  Frustrating, but nothing we can do.  On to the next.

9 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

TBH, as long as we keep this open wave look, I’m treating this storm more as a glorified clipper. 

I agree, what was Joe Denardo rule of thumb, closed low at 700mb for our area to see 6 or 8 + storm? 

In my head based on the setup 6 was probably the high end even in the better case scenarios a few days back, but now it's just an open wave that is being modeled more and more progressive. Those are almost always lower vs what was modeled anyways in terms of totals. If this truly does outrun the NS and ends up being only the southern low, the track of that is going to be to far SE for anything meaningful here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

This does suck.  Unfortunately, when I saw the bad run yesterday afternoon, it was the death knell.  Once that shows up there usually is little hope or chance left.  The bright side is we can only go up for this storm if that happens.

It just seems every time these storms start getting noticed by the news and websites they up and die off.  Frustrating, but nothing we can do.  On to the next.

Maybe that strong Midwest low on the 9th will end up weaker / more progressive too and we can squeeze something out of that in the form of a front end thump to mix to dryslot. Not the most fun storms, but better than a driving rain storm.

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Disappointment is just part of living in Pittsburgh, whether it’s the weather or pretty much anything else. All we can do is carry on.