• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

Bear with me, all. I'm going to make a few posts here.  Haven't done this in a while so I'd like to get those snow juices flowing again.

3 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

12z GFS and CMC are fairly close in the depiction, both as you said get the primary into WV now vs GFS at 00z was further South. A lot of nuances on where the best place for the transfer to happen is, but that's getting to close for comfort. 

Yep.  We notice a sort of "see saw" action with the energy over Oklahoma / Texas.  As it digs southward, it pumps the flow ahead of it and bumps our shortwave northward.

The other problem, which I'll illustrate below, is the open confluence to the north.  The 12Z Euro shows this almost zonal look to the flow, but it's north enough we get better snow than at 6Z.

Next I wanted to look at the charts.  Let's start with the 0Z from earlier.  

Here we can see the primary differences.  Notice the flatter flow to the north of our system which acts as a quasi-block.  It both prevents the storm from gaining too much latitude and slows it down a little bit.  The combination results in a stronger shortwave.  You also have that piece of energy along the west coast digging a bit deeper which opens the entire CONUS-wide trough.

dVX5F30.png

This is harder to picture at the surface, but here we see the flatter flow once again and how that energy up north was elongated and less phased.  The flow is mirrored on the H500 above.  The energy in the central U.S. is also less concentrated, at least partially because of the west and east coast systems separately.

aSAgUmB.png

But then we get into the 12Z models.  Here we see that west coast energy is a little less pronounced, and instead the energy over Texas is digging dramatically southward.  This creates a more zonal look to the flow out ahead of it.  It's less into a trough on the east coast and more straight-line.  We also see heights rising up north, mostly because that energy that was spread out or elongated before is now more concentrated to the East.

129FPmc.png

Here we can see that northern piece a bit better.  Notice again that at 0Z it was flat and stretched.  Now it's a consolidated blob pushed slightly to the East.  This is helping to pump those heights out ahead of the east coast shortwave, which both pulls it a little north and also opens the flow out ahead so it can escape more freely.  Instead of our storm getting trapped underneath, it is now free to slide off the coast and rotate north around the rest of the waves.

V4yPE1O.png

These are the key pieces of energy to watch going forward.  We don't have a true block so it could really go either way.  But if that energy up north phases too soon, we get conditions that allow our storm to progress along the boundary instead of getting dug in.  The energy behind it also isn't helping, though these pieces are all acting in concert.

We might still get a nice 3-6" event, but the ceiling is much lower than if we had more optimal interactions.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, dj3 said:

That trailing wave is a PITA. Unfortunately, I don't know if that will disappear now that it seems to be trending stronger/faster on everything. 

Yep unfortunately I think we are fucked. Just be happy with whatever falls, but the current trends these past 12 hours are ABSOLUTELY terrible. 

Gfs 18z and it's gone
e14gzBP.png
Fuck this hobby
Hopefully once this is sampled we get better trends
Quite a drastic change in one run. I know we still have a ways to go yet, but it's not like it's 240 hours out when they change like this. I guess we'll see what happens next run and with the other models. Never get your hopes up around here. You'll usually be let down. Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Euro looks weaker fwiw. Hopefully it's just off runs and 0z shows us some goods. Maybe this is the storm where it trends better as it gets closer. We usually have them look really good at 84 and get worse as it approaches. See you back to digest the long range nam!

3 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Anyone happen to see anything from Bernie Rayno on this system?

I heard he was saying we were in the possible zone for over 6”, however that was before the most recent runs.

Maybe, this is as bad as the models look for us and we have positive corrections from here.  That’s all we can do is hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Anyone happen to see anything from Bernie Rayno on this system?

Lol he says he likes us for 6+ BUT he also said if the energy is weaker which has been that the storm would be further north which it is not. So I don't know im misunderstanding him or not. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Lol he says he likes us for 6+ BUT he also said if the energy is weaker which has been that the storm would be further north which it is not. So I don't know im misunderstanding him or not. 

Maybe more north from this recent bad, southern runs, lol.  That might get us 6+.

Just now, TimB said:

Our streak of having no meaningful snow since March 2022 continues.

Usually I'd feel good about us being on the northern side but seems like the energy is just weakening and there just no primary into our area. The storm is turning into a straight Miller A. This can change with future runs but it's looking bleak. KPitt I allow you to cry now.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Usually I'd feel good about us being on the northern side but seems like the energy is just weakening and there just no primary into our area. The storm is turning into a straight Miller A. This can change with future runs but it's looking bleak. KPitt I allow you to cry now.

So far south and east it’s comical.