• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Ughh. Just what I  feared. My earlier post mentioned that the ensembles, especially the Eps and Geps, had a broad, oval ridge out west poking into the TN Valley approaching the MA, fearing it would suppress precip. Well, like clockwork, the 18z Gefs succumb to the Eps and Gefs. The top 2 maps are off the 12z with the 5H anomalies and 6-hour precip at the end of the run. Bottom 2 are off the 18z for the same time as 12z. Look how the ridge in the west is now stronger and pushing much further east and looks a lot like the 12z Eps and Geps (assuming you bothered to look at them.) Now look at the precip map...weaker and much further south thanks to the pancake ridge blocking the flow from the Gulf of Mexico. It's cr@p like this that is absolutely maddening because those "perfect" maps, at least in recent years, continue to degrade ascwe approach crunch time. And before some knucklehead jumps in and claims it, it has nothing to do with CC. It's just lousy modeling and even worse luck than was thought possible. 

Now this doesn't mean I am saying no change to cold or that this can't morph into something good or great past current models runs. I am saying, however, don't trust any model that shows a snowy or perfect pattern no matter how certain or clear it looks to be on modeling. 

500h_anom-mean.conus (10).png

qpf_006h-mean-imp.conus (2).png

500h_anom-mean.conus (9).png

qpf_006h-mean-imp.conus (1).png

Furthermore, the ever so slight ridging in the Midwest at hour 384 on the 18z GEFS looks to be in response to the massive strong Greenland block that is backing to west. The STJ continues to push further to the east over the Gulf states. You also still have troughing in the 50/50 space at hour 384.

This look, if it would hold, would still have plenty of good going for it.

Also, temps at 384 are still cold in the east.

Besides this, I think we will have a chance to score before day 16, & as I posted a little earlier, the good pattern should provide chances into early March.

IMG_4860.png

IMG_4861.png

33 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Ughh. Just what I  feared. My earlier post mentioned that the ensembles, especially the Eps and Geps, had a broad, oval ridge out west poking into the TN Valley approaching the MA, fearing it would suppress precip. Well, like clockwork, the 18z Gefs succumb to the Eps and Gefs. The top 2 maps are off the 12z with the 5H anomalies and 6-hour precip at the end of the run. Bottom 2 are off the 18z for the same time as 12z. Look how the ridge in the west is now stronger and pushing much further east and looks a lot like the 12z Eps and Geps (assuming you bothered to look at them.) Now look at the precip map...weaker and much further south thanks to the pancake ridge blocking the flow from the Gulf of Mexico. It's cr@p like this that is absolutely maddening because those "perfect" maps, at least in recent years, continue to degrade ascwe approach crunch time. And before some knucklehead jumps in and claims it, it has nothing to do with CC. It's just lousy modeling and even worse luck than was thought possible. 

Now this doesn't mean I am saying no change to cold or that this can't morph into something good or great past current models runs. I am saying, however, don't trust any model that shows a snowy or perfect pattern no matter how certain or clear it looks to be on modeling. 

500h_anom-mean.conus (10).png

qpf_006h-mean-imp.conus (2).png

500h_anom-mean.conus (9).png

qpf_006h-mean-imp.conus (1).png

Not directed at you but the way some (mostly on the MA) follow patterns 15 days out as if the modeling is "better" in that period has always left me confused.  Sure, could be right but it is the same modeling that people mock 2, 3 days out sometimes.  Now, pattern recognition is more broad scale and less subject to minor deviations like a short term synoptic forecast but discussing what a model/group of models is showing vs taking it almost carte blanche are two different things.   This is not to say the "great pattern" is not coming vs. Wonder aloud why this seemingly repeating pattern of LR forecasting keeps happening each winter.  Fun to track, not fun to buy in a 15 day model guess then be left holding the bag.   I think we defintely see more snow this year either way...but should not be a surprise that what looked almost perfect is subject to change at that distance. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’m not worried about day 16 in the 18z GEFS when the day 13 map looks like this…

IMG_4859.png

Eps snowfall on day 14, which obviously includes 13, is attsched. Nothing of consequence.  Pure scattering of nothing.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.conus (4).png

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Eps snowfall on day 14, which obviously includes 13, is attsched. Nothing of consequence.  Pure scattering of nothing.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.conus (4).png

Long way to go, heck the Euro Op & Canadian Op are barely in 10 day range yet for the beginning of the pattern change on the 13th.

The blocking that is developing will also throw models into fits as well.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

As a few posters in the Mid Atlantic thread have said recently, we need to be patient.
This upcoming pattern should produce, but some people probably will lose patience & sadly not make it…

Bliz, my point was and remains that the ensemble guidance can't detect the little nuances which are sufficient to fook our chances. As for patience, some of us have been weenies since the 1960's and realize that asking for patience at this point in the season is a stretch at best. Maybe in the mts. or in central and northern PA they can afford to be patient, but near the MD border and outside of the mts, me being patient or not has no effect on the calendar. 

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Bliz, my point was and remains that the ensemble guidance can't detect the little nuances which are sufficient to fook our chances. As for patience, some of us have been weenies since the 1960's and realize that asking for patience at this point in the season is a stretch at best. Maybe in the mts. or in central and northern PA they can afford to be patient, but near the MD border and outside of the mts, me being patient or not has no effect on the calendar. 

We can score big snow until around March 20th or so even in the LSV. It just happened in 2018.

I’ve been doing this for a few decades as well. This is the kind of pattern look that we dream of & we can go several years without this kind of pattern opportunity.
This upcoming period has the chance to be our best sustained good Winter storm window since at least March of 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Here is the 18z GEFS 96 hour snow for day 11 to 15. Not bad at all for this range over a four day period.

IMG_4862.png

If accurate, no, it's not bad. But the Gefs are almost always too snowy. 12z Eps thru entire 360 hrs is really bad, and I  see no reason to think it's wrong vs Gefs since Gefs have in 1 run just caved to the Eps on days 15-16.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne (15).png

5 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

If accurate, no, it's not bad. But the Gefs are almost always too snowy. 12z Eps thru entire 360 hrs is really bad, and I  see no reason to think it's wrong vs Gefs since Gefs have in 1 run just caved to the Eps on days 15-16.

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne (15).png

I’m not worried about day 15 or 16 caving with the good look that it is showing as I described above.

Snow maps will respond once a specific threat is identified.

38 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

22 this morning...a reminder that temperature wise winter is still here.

24 here.  I tried to suggest that last week.  The CMC has colder LSV locations in the teen's multiple times over the next several days.  Ironically the warmest panels are mid-month Feb with highs in the 50's and low's above freezing.   The GFS this AM was 5 degrees too warm AT MDT!   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

24 here.  I tried to suggest that last week.  The CMC has colder LSV locations in the teen's multiple times over the next several days.  Ironically the warmest panels are mid-month Feb with highs in the 50's and low's above freezing.   The GFS this AM was 5 degrees too warm AT MDT!   

MDT currently sitting at 27 degrees.

12 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

While we're all counting on a snow storm to bring joy to the forum. One thing we haven't had for along time is an ice storm.

That's one thing that Tamaqua was pretty immune to. We've had them, but none were of any significance. 

On a side note, you guys need to come out to Flagstaff this week. All the globals give them at least 20+ inches of snow this week. Every day from Tuesday through the weekend has at least moderate chances for falling snow.

• Like 1