• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/Oklahoma 2023 Obs and Discussion

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Right, one insane day. They've had roughly two weeks of it now. This isn't normal, that's what I'm saying. 

1980 wasn't normal.  June 23 to August 3rd, every day above 100*F.  I suspect Dallas, and I know Houston, 1980 and 2011 are responsible for a lot of the daily summer records.  Weirdly, Houston's all time record of 109*F was set in September, 2000.

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

1980 wasn't normal.  June 23 to August 3rd, every day above 100*F.  I suspect Dallas, and I know Houston, 1980 and 2011 are responsible for a lot of the daily summer records.  Weirdly, Houston's all time record of 109*F was set in September, 2000.

A fair amount of the low-hanging fruit was broken in 2022 as well (which, BTW, tied for the hottest MJJ on record).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calderon said:

It's a shame here in SAT because we were off & running to a great start and then it just went "poof" last month. 

I've heard the Summer of 2009 mentioned as an analog, and it's an interesting one.

The temps/departure ls were a bit more variable here in North Texas (similar to this year so far), but yeah, it was an all-out torch down that way.

The good news, the GFS has been about 5° too warm today around Dallas and Houston.  The bad news, next week is 109 or 110°F each evening at 7pm.  Ballpark 5° correction- 105° for a week sounds like 1980 territory.  Houston hasn't been breaking records, and most of them the last few days were from 1980.  GEFS suggests maybe better luck with storms riding the ridge as it pushes W after 10 days.  GFS operational showing rain cooled 70s and 80s in much of Texas along/E of I-35 for Tuesday July 25th.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quixotic1 said:

This is nowhere near 1980 and 2011.  

I didn't say just like 1980.  It 1980-ish.

Dallas

7/15 1978 110°

7/16 1980 108°

7/17  1954 109°

7/18 2022 108°

Only one of the days mentioned next week even set the record in 1980.  

I do, obviously, follow Houston a bit more closely, yesterday's record of 103° was from last year.  I don't know why I remember just 2011 and 1980, last summer was pretty darn hot.  It might be the accompanying drought I remember.  Couple of weeks ago Houston was near/at 100°, but we were close enough to the edge of the ridge we caught storms coming down 45 from Dallas.  June 21 one of those round of storms, poorly modeled by the CAMs, brought an all time record 97 mph gust.  Broke the record from September 2008.

I know many of you are focused on Dallas and Houston, but south of there in TX it has been a brutally hot and humid summer. Corpus Christi has had excessive heat warnings nearly every day for the past month. Besides hot temperatures, the humidity has been crazy due to above normal GOM temps. Constant dew points between 76-82 for weeks on end…not sure how people can deal with this. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Powerball said:

At last, we have a morning with plenty of blue sky and good insolation.

We'll be interesting to see what difference that makes with the highs.

Either way, off to the races!

Achieved an intra-hour high of 101*F early in the afternoon before the outflow boundary (pseudo-front) moved through. DFW's currently at 10 days AOA 100*F for the season.

I did speak too soon about the cloud cover, because an altostratus cloud deck quickly filled in not long after my post this morning and stuck around for much of the day.