• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Fort Collins got 0.8-0.9" from last night. That's pretty heavy, considering it's just past the end of what I would call the monsoon. Comparatively, my place in Toledo beat Fort Collins this week, with rainfall and exciting late-night lightning. We need this stuff for the corn. I was missing the lightning for a lot of June when Fort Collins was getting way more rain.

Been a week so I thought I'd post something. Late summer here has been so hot lately. Noticed that this August was the first since 2018 that was not in the top 6 warmest for DEN, though still quite warm (especially the end!) and, for some, trending drier again east of the Divide and south of FoCo. Early Sept lately has been nuts compared to climatology. Thought highs in the upper 90s were done... not yet.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:27 AM, smokeybandit said:

I volunteered to chaperone my son's multi-day outdoor education program the beginning of next week.

Rain and mud and 6th graders. Fun times! 

Did the same when my kids were that age back in MA. Most (wet) fun we had in years. They still talk about it 15 years later.

9 hours ago, Chinook said:

Rainfall in the Denver area maxed out where there was a narrow area of thunderstorms across the north metro, maybe with hail.

Mayjawintastawm, so you are saying the first snow is in September? I would think you are thinking of October.

denver precip 9 15.gif

Not here, but up on Mt Evans > 11K ft.. There was a poster who mentioned a dusting on Pikes Peak a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Chinook said:

Summertime temps of 81-82 at Denver, 85 at Salt Lake City, Wyoming, and even Montana, with the mountains getting also summertime values with no clouds.

summertime at 7000 ft.jpg

Remarkable for the end of Sept to see the mountains snow-free from a distance. Still mowing parts of the lawn (the shady ones) with some regularity. The few tomatoes we have are not in danger with no temps <40 F yet.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Some of us outside the mountains may see our first snow of the year late week.

Yeah, Cheyenne is sounding confident in snow levels dropping fairly low up here for Thursday. The Snowies should see 10+" though. Laramie should see some accumulation

Today, back to 80 at Greeley and 80 at Denver, even 78 down by KAPA airport. This is quite typical as the strong upper level trough pulled away from the Plains and is sitting in the Great Lakes/Ontario. The 500mb height and surface temperatures always get much higher in response to the upper low moving east. An official high of 80 at KDEN is 12 degrees above the normal high. There's just a huge amount of above-normal temperatures along the Rocky Mountains going from Mexico all the way up to the Northwest Territories.