• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Looking like we'll have a week of monsoon, finally. Will be a nice change, though I can't complain too much about summer heat this year. Things have been pretty dry around here the last two weeks, with the sprinklers on regular summer mode to keep things from getting too crispy. The mosquitoes are slowly diminishing, which is nice, though I imagine they'll pick back up in a week or so.

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  East Central Larimer County in north central Colorado...

* Until 1115 PM MDT.

* At 814 PM MDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated 
  thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between 
  0.5 and 3 inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts 
  of 1 to 2 inches are possible in the warned area. Flash flooding 
  is ongoing in Wellington and expected to begin shortly in the Fort 
  Collins area.

Yes, the storm that started by Wellington propagated southwestward and sat over Fort Collins. My Radarscope program said there were about 150 lightning strikes near north Fort Collins in the recent time frame. That's one of the things that can happen with the non-westerly flow that powers up the monsoon surges. There are slow upper level winds, and the tendency to pop new storms at the foothills and the cities and they can move so slow that it becomes a flash flood. I'm assuming there were street flooding problems at Fort Collins.

More scattered and not as heavy tonight. DIA didn't even get anything measurable. I'm guessing we got 0.2" here. On the good side, I got a new Ambient Weather station for my birthday a few days back to replace an aging AcuRite one, so once I can get up to my roof to install it, we'll have some good data from here. My current rain gauge got stuck and hasn't cooperated since the heavy stuff started in May.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've gotten an inch total with the last 3 days of storms.

I'm about that or a little more given PWSs in my area, probably 0.7" Monday, 0.2" Tuesday and 0.4" yesterday. Nice! Should have planted shrubs when we were thinking about it earlier in the summer. We probably won't get another year like this for a long time. I'm guessing this is a really nice opportunity for the trees in the Front Range metro to recover from the last couple of tough years and the fall colors will be remarkable.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:05 PM, Chinook said:

Maybe a double tornado, closer to Goodland

two possible tornadoes kirk colorado.jpg

That cell was spawning tornadoes for about 2 and a half hours, according to NWS storm reports. Our friends north of Burlington whose ranch is right on 385 were maybe 5-8 miles from it and saw the tail end. Scary. It would have passed right over their house had it kept going.

I guess there are no California posters in this subforum- posting here because "mountain west" may include the San Gabriels etc. Lots of totals from the last 36 hours in southern CA over 5 inches- half their yearly rainfall. Flash flooding, road washouts. Palm Springs is in particularly rough shape. Anybody from that area?

Still plenty of time to get good rains later this afternoon and overnight. Super hard to forecast- if there had been even a tiny opportunity for convection it would be raining very hard somewhere, but as a few forecasts hinted last night, convective temps were not a slam dunk. Still, the few showers we've had around here have been efficient rain producers, and a few areas have had a lot so far especially north of town. Closest PWS to me has 0.47" so far today. It's pretty chilly!! 61 here near DTC.