• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Western PA/Pittsburgh Summer Discussion 2021

59 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m wondering if the evening might actually be pretty decent once this round of storms clears our area. Kicked the humidity up a few notches again but might shape up to be a pleasant evening.

Well, I meant the lack of power, but yeah it is nice right now.

9 hours ago, jwilson said:

We've been pretty lucky (or unlucky depending on your POV) here locally.  Yesterday was the first storm that actually hit us and it wasn't all that bad.  Most of them have been missing just to the west or east.  Sorry for those of you dealing with problems.  I've seen lots of down trees and flooding elsewhere, including my own old 'hood in Morgantown.

Actually, I've always been curious about this microclimate split we seem to have between north of the city and south.  For whatever reason, it seems south of the city gets much less incidence of true severe.  Does anyone happen to know why?  Is it simple terrain/geography?

Disagree on the not bad part. This is one of the worst storms I’ve ever seen in the north hills. 

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

Any word if a survey was done in the north hills? Wildwood country club had multiple trees snapped in half and uprooted and one spot appeared to be 100mph plus winds. I’m just a bit surprised no survey crew was sent out?

NWS Pittsburgh posted about it on their social media platforms this afternoon, but no earth-shattering info or anything about a survey.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPittsburgh/status/1404909799096020993

5 hours ago, TimB84 said:

NWS Pittsburgh posted about it on their social media platforms this afternoon, but no earth-shattering info or anything about a survey.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPittsburgh/status/1404909799096020993

They also responded to someone and said they would not be surveying, which is dissapointing. The photo that was shared was impressive, and likely indicated very high gusts. Would have like to have gotten an estimate as I am fairly certain there were 80-100 mph gusts in areas of the north hills.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

I'm guessing Pittsbirgh rarely ever gets a moderate-high severe outlook. Seems like enhanced is our usual max for severe storms.

No high risks to my knowledge, but 11/17/13 comes to mind as a moderate risk day. Can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

8 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

They also responded to someone and said they would not be surveying, which is dissapointing. The photo that was shared was impressive, and likely indicated very high gusts. Would have like to have gotten an estimate as I am fairly certain there were 80-100 mph gusts in areas of the north hills.

Part of me says it’s good that they’re not surveying, because if they were surveying it would quite possibly be because there was an incredible amount of damage or even injuries/deaths. But yes, I’d like to know what those gusts would be estimated at. 

21 hours ago, Ahoff said:

One, I hope not, and two, I know, as I said just a feeling.  Looking like a pretty persist cool pattern for the next week plus. 

It’s a stretch, but I’d say we have a nonzero chance of hitting 90 on Monday ahead of the next cool down.

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like 90 is out of the question now for Monday, but 60s for highs the following days look more possible.  Gross.

Tuesday maybe, if we’re below 70 by midnight Monday night. Looks like we’ll bounce back closer to average pretty quick. But yeah, looks like chances of hitting 90 in June are on life support.

These last two days were brutal. With the humidity it was just absolutely oppressive and the fact it didn’t get below 71 last night is just disgusting.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be glorious. Give me that type of weather all summer. I just don’t see what anyone finds fun about 85-90 with 70 degree dewpoints. It is gross.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

These last two days were brutal. With the humidity it was just absolutely oppressive and the fact it didn’t get below 71 last night is just disgusting.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be glorious. Give me that type of weather all summer. I just don’t see what anyone finds fun about 85-90 with 70 degree dewpoints. It is gross.

85-90 is nice, but not the 70 dewpoints.  Give me 85-90, even 95 with sub 60 dews, and we're good.

6 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

85-90 is nice, but not the 70 dewpoints.  Give me 85-90, even 95 with sub 60 dews, and we're good.

Ah, but there’s the rub. Our climo doesn’t seem to allow for many days in that 85-95 range with comfortable dews once you get past about mid-June. Maybe a few in the low end of that temperature range.

• Like 1