• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February/March 2021 - Frigid or Flop? Pattern/Longterm Forecast Thread.

John1122

Phase 7 may be colder...but the cold that is on the table on the UKMET is unreal.  Now, it seems like 95-96 or one of those Nina winters, the MJO had virtually no influence on the pattern - meaning it rotated through the warm phases and remained cold in the East.  The snow from the past two days has been right in the middle of phase 6.  Last winter was phases 5-6 - was awful.  @TellicoWx I want to revisit a QBO conversation that we had last winter(I may have been wrong in retrospect) where you noted that the falling of the QBO was not as correlated to the bottoming out and rising of the QBO.  I am too lazy to dig back through the thread, but makes me wonder(even if the QBO is positive) if maybe the current phase of the QBO is actually helping us.  It may just be as simple as the -NAO has been a good card for eastern areas of the sub-forum.  

Just glad the Euro has a storm...IMO obvious the GFS is now pushing the progressive envelope.   Basically a weak reflection tries to cut into west TN, then a low on the SE Atlantic coastline forms and cuts inside of Hatteras.  Move all of that back about 150 miles, and that gets really interesting.  Much improved solution to 0z and very close to 12z yesterday.  

• Like 1

Going to have to see the ensemble.  The 12z Euro is at odds with previous runs and nearly all other modeling within this suite with the exception of the ICON after storm one.  The Euro can be notorious for seeing cold late.  A blend of the Euro and GEFS is not a terrible thing.   Probably what I would do at this point.  Have no idea what the Euro is doing after storm one though....Lots of potential.  Let's be glad we have storm one to track, and then take it from there.  LOL.  Most definitely going to be a lot of movement on modeling during the next few days re: situation after potential storm alpha/one.

The Euro high pressures after 200 are just insane.  There is a 1059 siting in MT late in that run.  I am going to make the assumption that the GFS is too fast and the Euro too slow with the cold.  The UKMET was lights out cold.  So, we have an active southern jet and severe cold(which presses the boundary near our area) coming in the day 5-10.  No idea if we score, but I take that 10/10 times if given the option.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic