• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    First tracks
    Newest Member
    First tracks

November Banter 2020

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I made a very large order for Christmas outside decorations from them last week. They’ve been showing up every day dropping stuff off. Will def post a pic when all is up. Wouldn’t have outdoor decorations if it wasn’t for you and your electrical skills!

Awesome ! Just make sure your outlet doesn't  look like this ...

PhotoPictureResizer_201127_091404741_crop_1220x839.jpg

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

Does anyone have any weather related tattoos?

I have a wall cloud tramp stamp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Everybody knows you need to turn your house into a beacon so the Miller A’s don’t miss. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525bd00f4c11b364e726

Is that the Holiday display for the Panic Room this year?  Looks cool!  It would be a nice welcome for all those cliff-jumping lost souls at Christmas.  Maybe some spiked eggnog at the door, too, when you go in!  And perhaps a skeletal Santa...:santa:

And folks...we have our 2nd Griswold finalist!!  The competition looks fierce!  Any other entries??

I think there is a pretty good chance the Ravens-Steelers game is postponed again . Just think if they had not postponed it yesterday- potentially 4 players that would have played in that game would have been confirmed positive after the game, and what a mess that would have been for the Steelers going forward.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Ravens game moved to Tuesday night. 

lol that seems like a wait and see move. 

If that stands then the Dallas game will have to be moved to next Sunday.

eta- Dallas game moved to Monday the 7th

Seems more logical to postpone the Ravens-Steelers game until week 18, and keep the Dallas game as scheduled. Steelers would then have their legit bye week+.

I guess they only want to do that as a last resort.

59 minutes ago, CAPE said:

lol that seems like a wait and see move. 

If that stands then the Dallas game will have to be moved to next Sunday.

eta- Dallas game moved to Monday the 7th

It will most likely stand unless some more Ravens players test positive over the weekend. The only good news is now LJ won’t miss the Cowboys game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Top two leftovers of all time....Thanksgiving dinner and spaghetti nothing else compares

My wife makes a Thai basil chicken that is so much better the second time around when the heat really gets into everything.

• Like 1

Spending a few days in Ocean City this weekend.  Clear skies and low 60’s today with ocean water temperatures in the mid-50’s.  I only waded into the water up to my knees but there were quite a few kids swimming.  Beautiful late-November day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Spending a few days in Ocean City this weekend.  Clear skies and low 60’s today with ocean water temperatures in the mid-50’s.  I only waded into the water up to my knees but there were quite a few kids swimming.  Beautiful late-November day.

I've swam in 60 degree water in July in a Vermont lake and it was bone hurting cold . And that's with 90 degrees out . Mid 50s all the way in without a wet suit is freakin impressive .

Enjoy:D

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Awesome ! Just make sure your outlet doesn't  look like this ...

PhotoPictureResizer_201127_091404741_crop_1220x839.jpg

Ha,  not quite. All is up but we tripped the breaker when we turned the microwave on. Oops.

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ha,  not quite. All is up but we tripped the breaker when we turned the microwave on. Oops.

You eventually need to run a dedicated circuit to that microwave.  I might know someone :D

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

You eventually need to run a dedicated circuit to that microwave.  I might know someone :D

Estimate cost? I’ll talk to the Mr

Has anyone checked out the "new" weather maps that will be online on Dec 8?

They are terrible, something straight out of the early days of the Internet. https://preview-radar.weather.gov/

It is almost downright embarrassing. Wow is this the best we can offer in 2020? ouch!

Check out the precip moving over time, wow is that herky jerky or what? It is also incredibly COARSE, kind of like what we had in the mid/late 1990s. NWS - is this the best you can do? We are being presented with much LESS colors for radar too, we will need to learn to interpret weather with a lot less useful information. It's actually pretty embarrassing.

Its a DOWNGRADE, a major one.

I might have to find a new hobby, like fishing or something lol

Since we're talking about holiday lights...At my house we're a bit inexperienced with the outdoor lights, and have had problems the last couple years with something in the line shorting out. What can prevent this?

I dont really know what to do to prevent the shorting out probs, but being poor is a good solution.

I am too poor to afford outdoor Christmas lights.

Problem solved - for me lol

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

How often do you actually see this?

Quite a bit in the old days when homes had one outlet per room, two if you were lucky!  Adding insult to injury these were pre "Merry Midget" days too where C7 bulbs were used indoors.  They got quite toasty particularly the blue bulbs and were the source of ignition on dried out (real) trees.  Speaking of, a dried out tree is a fatal fire hazard.  In homes where the primary escape is through the living room and the bedroom windows are either too high or just not possible to easily escape from.  Death trap set up there.  A 7' tree will be releasing over a megawatt of energy within a minute of ignition temperature.  This kind of energy release raised the temperature of the enclosed space hundreds of degrees in mere seconds.  Surrounding materials reach autoignition temperature before a smoke alarm is activated.  Self extinguishing polymers release toxic fumes making the air which is far too hot for lung ingress already toxic.  I think you get the idea. ;)

Thank goodness times have changed.  LED bulbs have essentially no heat and fake trees are self extinguishing and (for the most part) electrically non conductive.

LEDs tend to have better color too BUT cheap ones that just use half wave rectification (single diode) flicker horribly and don't have high efficacy LED elements so they are dim.  Get a good set (where the white ones actually look like incandescent lamps, not the cold blue look!) and use a switching mode power supply like a laptop uses to produce clean DC and they'll last long and look nice.  Especially outside displays.  Nothing like driving in the country where someone has strung their fence with 60Hz strobing LEDs that practically induce a seizure when passing by!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Quite a bit in the old days when homes had one outlet per room, two if you were lucky!  Adding insult to injury these were pre "Merry Midget" days too where C7 bulbs were used indoors.  They got quite toasty particularly the blue bulbs and were the source of ignition on dried out (real) trees.  Speaking of, a dried out tree is a fatal fire hazard.  In homes where the primary escape is through the living room and the bedroom windows are either too high or just not possible to easily escape from.  Death trap set up there.  A 7' tree will be releasing over a megawatt of energy within a minute of ignition temperature.  This kind of energy release raised the temperature of the enclosed space hundreds of degrees in mere seconds.  Surrounding materials reach autoignition temperature before a smoke alarm is activated.  Self extinguishing polymers release toxic fumes making the air which is far too hot for lung ingress already toxic.  I think you get the idea. ;)

Thank goodness times have changed.  LED bulbs have essentially no heat and fake trees are self extinguishing and (for the most part) electrically non conductive.

LEDs tend to have better color too BUT cheap ones that just use half wave rectification (single diode) flicker horribly and don't have high efficacy LED elements so they are dim.  Get a good set (where the white ones actually look like incandescent lamps, not the cold blue look!) and use a switching mode power supply like a laptop uses to produce clean DC and they'll last long and look nice.  Especially outside displays.  Nothing like driving in the country where someone has strung their fence with 60Hz strobing LEDs that practically induce a seizure when passing by!

Great post. Anyone who’s ever seen a dry(ish) evergreen ignite would probably never put one in their home. And that last line made me literally laugh at loud

• Like 2