• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

54 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

plus if one looks at the overall size of that anomalously "cool" blob as depicted, check surrounding temps and show me what/where it is tapping into in order to create said anomaly.  only thing going for it is 700's outta da NW, but 850's and below are SE.  Close but not close enough. 

Ok, Im done dissecting the 6z cause the 12z may be notably different....but it was fun anyways.  

12Z mostly held serve.  Again the temps at midnight or at or higher than the 1PM temps.  Still suggesting more FFW's for south. 

image.png.19b54eff8e2dc9d89e12352bb1366059.pngimage.png.932bb9a73a6b36e5d37c671ccc79c68a.png

A little fun Rank your top 5 snowstorms in our area of all time:

#1 is a no brainer for me: Superstorm 1993.

#2 Blizzard of 96

#3 February 1983 Blizzard - Only because I was off school for at least a couple of days. :-) 

#4 2011 Halloween Nor'easter - Just because it was Halloween. 

#5  2003 - President Day Nor'easter. 

#1 was the beast!

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z mostly held serve.  Again the temps at midnight or at or higher than the 1PM temps.  Still suggesting more FFW's for south. 

image.png.19b54eff8e2dc9d89e12352bb1366059.pngimage.png.932bb9a73a6b36e5d37c671ccc79c68a.png

Up 5 deg in SE Pa from 6z.  more in line to our earlier convo.  Looks a bit soggy tho.  Precip looks like it hits where we need it to.  Lets lock this in.

7 minutes ago, paweather said:

#2 Blizzard of 96

#3 February 1983 Blizzard - Only because I was off school for at least a couple of days. :-) 

#1 was the beast!

No doubt for me 2016.  Brief taint @ 1hr then back to S+ in deform CCB that just RAKED my casa.  31-32" local reports in my area.  

RSI Jan 22-24 2016

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I would be happy to move that 1"+ mark up to N Central PA.  Get the Susky back over 0 Feet. 

Agreed.  I'm just happy to see cashtown and mag into the goods, but to your point, the pine creek last weekend was really low.  We got a super soaker while visiting Straub brewery in St Mary's only to find tours closed (recording said otherwise), but that didnt do much to help long term.

1 minute ago, paweather said:

WOW...Forgot about 2016! What a loop that was. 

isnt she a beaut??  93' was a doozy, but when S+ turns to pingers....heavy pingers, it ALWAYS makes me feel uneasy down here.  We had 4-5 hrs of them in 93' and while I like what they do for snowpack/glacial retention... I still hate to hear them in a big one.  I was nervous in 16' but knew that an mix would be minor, and to that end we flipped back quicker than originally expected.  It was just a beauty of a storm for me.

I'm happy to listen and see what other storms mean most to the gang.  Please share stories and pics/loops.  

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

That was insanely beautiful. I can't believe I forgot that one. I still remember 1993 that was when the weather channel was popular. LOL. Superstorm had all the elements to it and from the deep south to the Northeast. 

Oh dont get me wrong...its my #2, as its rather rare to see a triple phaser.  Until 16 came, it was at the center of my mantle.  93' now sits just a tad to the right of Center.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Agreed.  I'm just happy to see cashtown and mag into the goods, but to your point, the pine creek last weekend was really low.  We got a super soaker while visiting Straub brewery in St Mary's only to find tours closed (recording said otherwise), but that didnt do much to help long term.

They inexplicably moved Cash and I out of the drought designation.  Underground water levels are 25-50% under average summer levels and we are both about 8-9" under normal for the May -Aug period but we have been given the all clear.  

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

That was insanely beautiful. I can't believe I forgot that one. I still remember 1993 that was when the weather channel was popular. LOL. Superstorm had all the elements to it and from the deep south to the Northeast. 

If memory serves, western york up to lebanon and points NW never tained in 93', (or much less i should say), as is often the case down here in the LSV warm spot.

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

Not often the same storm gives the Middle Susquehanna Valley and the Southern Suburbs of Washington DC both over 2 feet at once. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

They inexplicably moved Cash and I out of the drought designation.  Underground water levels are 25-50% under average summer levels and we are both about 8-9" under normal for the May -Aug period but we have been given the all clear.  

as I dont follow the summer stuff as my wornder is if they do a rolling 3month mean (ie Jul/Aug/Sept) and see more chances for precip moving forward?? dunno 

If memory serves, western york up to lebanon and points NW never tained in 93', (or much less i should say), as is often the case down here in the LSV warm spot.

Yep what I loved about 93 is we did flip to ice/sleet for a period of time and then went back over to snow. The dynamics were just incredible and again what I loved was Atlanta and points south were in on it as well. 

as I dont follow the summer stuff as my wornder is if they do a rolling 3month mean (ie Jul/Aug/Sept) and see more chances for precip moving forward?? dunno 

I thought they used a combo of underground water level, stream levels and actual precip.   I know they cut if off the Tuesday before the Thursday map comes out.   Mag mentioned this a few weeks ago, maybe he will plug in the right info. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

Yep what I loved about 93 is we did flip to ice/sleet for a period of time and then went back over to snow. The dynamics were just incredible and again what I loved was Atlanta and points south were in on it as well. 

yeah when its snowing in atlanta and the storm is just starting in your area.....buckle up buttercup.  That was from a dynamics perspective, the most impressive....but as we all know about snow hounds....its all about the MBY totals... and when i get long duration events, I smile no matter what the tally is.  Just love flakes flying.  

Oh....and thanks for the mid afternoon derail.  I've enjoyed it and am 1 step closer to wishing this dreaded hot ass mess of a summer/year away.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yeah when its snowing in atlanta and the storm is just starting in your area.....buckle up buttercup.  That was from a dynamics perspective, the most impressive....but as we all know about snow hounds....its all about the MBY totals... and when i get long duration events, I smile no matter what the tally is.  Just love flakes flying.  

Oh....and thanks for the mid afternoon derail.  I've enjoyed it and am 1 step closer to wishing this dreaded hot ass mess of a summer/year away.  

You and me both. I'll enjoy the cooler wave coming in soon for a while that is a for sure. 

51 minutes ago, paweather said:

#2 Blizzard of 96

#1 was the beast!

Since I was gone for 15 years I will  not give a top 5 but I will say that Jan 24/25 2000 would be in my top 2.

29 minutes ago, paweather said:

Birmingham Alabama got 13" from the Superstorm...that's nuts! 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

1. 1993

2. 1996

3. 1983

4. 1978

5. 2016

The first 4 I listed all had other elements than snow, mainly strong winds and drifting. 2016 was a big dump of white gold but it was void of much wind. Honestly, I thought about putting '78 even higher. THAT was a beast!

I don't remember much about 78 but will google it.