Newest Member
    Dano62
Seasonal Snowfall Departures Data/Maps

Some links that may assist you:

https://weather.gc.ca/data/analysis/352_100.gif

(Canadian snow depths, updated daily)

----------------------------------

http://www.newx-forecasts.com/#RULES

(contest web site, many snow map links, be sure to look on both the linked page and the "weblog" page as shown 

------------------------------------

Also, you can find info on Midwest snowfalls in the Great Lakes / OH Valley subforum snowfall contest, including frequent updates on snowfall to date as percentage of normal

On 1/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, raindancewx said:

I asked this a while ago, and someone gave me this link. Here is 7/1/18 to 1/27/19. You do have to register, but it is free and you can make a lot of maps.

https://mrcc.illinois.edu/CLIMATE/index.jsp

RKsDyUw.png

That map is inaccurate for Colorado, and perhaps, therefore, a lot of other places too (I know CO best). The map incorrectly claims snowfall due west of Denver in the mountains has been below average but it actually has been above average. 

Precipitation is extremely localized, and elevation only makes it more challenging to visualize. It's never going to be perfect. The maps for snow are just meant to give general ideas of regions that have seen above or below average snowfall. There are individual mountains down here that are well below, well above, and near normal, but we have more of the latter two, so it shows up as green/blue on the map. My outlook had the Coastal NE and interior NW with relatively low snow and the Plains/Rockies with fairly high snow (also areas east of the Great Lakes) based on the snow maps maps I made for my analog years - so that's really the main use of the snow maps to me. They are spatially interpolated, not a measurement of every square mile like satellites can do for temps.

It hasn't snowed at all in Seattle WA. That is rather unusual, they don't get a lot of snow but usually one or two events and 5 to 15 inches is common for a winter season. But they are sitting at 0.0" ... Boston MA has had all of 1.9" so far, at Logan anyway, other parts of the city may have had 5 to 10 inches. That map looked fairly accurate to me away from the mountains anyway, in our snowfall contest, snow has been above normal in most places southwest of Chicago and below normal north and east of there so far, although Toronto just got hit with enough to bring them back to at least normal pace, probably above. Buffalo has had a lot of snow recently. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...