• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

Well 00z guidance was actually pretty consistent... 2 camps from what I can tell, ICON and UKMET would probably be pretty solid hits. I am wary of the ICON as I remember hearing it doesn't handle ZR / IP on tropical tidbits, its either rain or snow. But you can see the general idea, snow to rain to snow while I-80 north gets pummeled, if the Euro map actually verifies that would be pretty depressing. One thing I have learned though is despite the fact the models look pretty consistent is that I have seen them all be consistently wrong. It's not that large of change to shift us into the better stuff and it's still well within the track error at the time lead. I'll try to leave my optimism hat on until Wednesday 12z, if it still looks bad then I think we all know all this movie ends lol

icon_asnow_neus_55.png

50000079_1998529210214266_6247873334759915520_n.jpg.4d703498a774b1a33d5781ff96e415b1.jpg

gfs_asnow_neus_28.png

fv3p_asnow_neus_28.png

gem_asnow_neus_27.png

ecmwf_ku_snow_newyork_162 (1).png

• Like 1

I'm worried now. We have some ensemble members that now show a WTOD. Not good. I'm trying to stay positive but how can I when we always get screwed. Rant over let's see what 12z has to say. 
I'm pretty much already accepting that the WTOD is going to get us once again. Showing all the signs of that. If I get pleasantly surprised, then great. Not holding my breath since, like you said, this has happened so often to us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

just to put some persepctive on this situation. It will be wed/thursday before we start to see what this thing will do.  These runs are not bad and will hopefully shift in a good direction for us..

gfs_z500_vort_namer_1.png

I agree, it won't be until at the earliest 12z tomorrow but likely not until Thursday that we can start to say anything one way or another. At least we have a threat to track, vs where we stood 2 weeks ago wondering if Winter would ever truly make an appearance this season. Odds favor if this one fails though there will probably be another to watch on it's heels. if you are purely results driven in this hobby, then its the wrong hobby or you live in the wrong place lol. Part of the fun is analyzing the runs etc.

I'd be lying if I said I don't have some concern we miss this by 50-75 miles NW, then miss the next by the same margin to the SE, but that's how we roll in Pittsburgh for big storms lol.

1 hour ago, blackngoldrules said:

I'm pretty much already accepting that the WTOD is going to get us once again. Showing all the signs of that. If I get pleasantly surprised, then great. Not holding my breath since, like you said, this has happened so often to us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's a given for this area.  It's just the way storms track through here and the topography.  Rarely do we get the perfect scenario depicted on the early model runs.  I feel it has to be a pretty wrapped up low to keep the low level warmth at bay, and a really good supply of cold air in place before the low approaches.

As far as I see it right now, we need one or two things to save this one from going north like the Euro and GFS intimates.  Either the low remains less amplified and more strung-out, and perhaps delays amplification until it gets East of us (seems unlikely given the overwhelming model "consensus" this early), or we get a northern stream pulse, some kind of PV lobe to help suppress the low to our south.  We don't have much in the way of blocking which is a serious problem, but we do have an advertised banana high, which may be too far north, and a potential 50/50 low to slow progression, which is the evolution of the Thursday/Friday shortwave.

Oftentimes with these bigger storms, you'll see a table-setter event that basically portends where the snow will fall.  As it looks like the pseudo clipper will push too far north to prevent a changeover, I worry the storm behind it will follow the same path.  That second low would look better in Tennessee or even further south.  If it tracks right over Kentucky, we're in trouble.

I'd rather have one of the GFS or Euro on my side right now.  I have much less confidence in the iCON and Ukie.

Mount Holly's (NJ) current thoughts:

The timing of the northern and southern
systems will be key regarding the end results here in the East, as
some guidance phases them and therefore the surface low tracks over
or just west of our area. The track of the surface low will depend
on where the baroclinic zone is placed and tightens, as arctic air
will be pouring in on the backside of this storm. All of this will
play havoc with not only the precipitation types but also amounts
and therefore impacts.

Just now, dj3 said:

The icon now brings the low basically right up to western Pa. The solutions that were spitting out big snow totals had more of a w/e trajectory underneath our latitude.

I think as i look at it now, its what we were talking about last night. The icon doesn't have the mix on tropical tidbits. I think the map that i posted early, even though it looks tasty, is probably a lot of ice