• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Maybe I should not like winter so much.....

weathafella

"But those taking a daily baby aspirin — an important preventive treatment for heart attack"

LOL, what is a "baby" asprin? Is this like "baby" as in small, like the little version of the goldfish crackers"?

Asprin for babies - usually St. Joseph's (I think) - do they still make it/recommend it for babies?

"But those taking a daily baby aspirin — an important preventive treatment for heart attack"

LOL, what is a "baby" asprin? Is this like "baby" as in small, like the little version of the goldfish crackers"?

Regular aspirin has 325 mg. Baby aspirin has 81mg. And they are very small. I ought to know. My doc has me taking them every other day. I'm over 60 and at risk of heart problems.

I think it is recommended/prescribed for older folks with heart issues??? Thins the blood a bit...

I think my mother-in-law uses it, but not sure

I could be completely wrong here, but IIRC from a Wilderness First Responder course in college... asprin helps by making platelets in the blood less sticky. Platelets are small irregular shaped cells (or parts of cells, I don't think they have any DNA) that help clot blood... like when you get a cut they stick together to form the clot. When someone is having a heart attack or is at risk for having one, the asprin causes the platelets to become less sticky and almost slimy so they can't clot. When you have a clogged artery and the opening gets small enough, the body reacts like it would a cut on your skin and the platelets rush to clot the hole, when in reality they are clotting your artery causing a heart attack. The asprin prevents that from happening... but the flip side is you have a harder time clotting anything else.

But most people would rather bleed from a paper cut for an extra few minutes than have a heart attack, haha.

It is true though... if anyone is having a heart attack around you, get them some asprin ASAP as it can help reduce the sticky/clotting properties of the platelets that are causing the clot in the first place.

I think it is recommended/prescribed for older folks with heart issues??? Thins the blood a bit...

I think my mother-in-law uses it, but not sure

I would say 100% of you should take a low dose aspirin by the time you reach your mid 40s. Anecdotal but my stepfather lived until 89. Every one of his siblings and his parents died 60s and younger. He was the only one who took aspirin. I've been taking it daily since 1992.

Archived