joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2015 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBF, the area where these couplets are forming was on the edge of the slight risk, and SPC highlighted the area near the boundary for better low level shear and a higher tor risk in their morning discussion.  But generally agreed, this is a very tasty radar for severe in this neck of the woods.

Meh, western nj and pa yeah but not to good for NYC overall. Sbcape lacking. Waiting on the next scan

FYI dude, the definition of a severe storm is disjunctive, not conjunctive.   So if you see any of the "severe" events, that's a severe storm.  It's not necessary to see all of them (and seeing all of them in a single storm is quite rare). 

I know what the definition is lol I been following the weather for 40 years... this would not have even classified as an event of writing home about.  And yes PRIOR to Sandy this area had seen PLENTY of severe storms with winds over 60 MPH.. quarter size hail (more rare i think once) but plenty of pea and nickel size hail.. with cloud to ground lightning and thunder that would shake the house.. to each his own what he expects out of a severe thunderstorm but this was a dissapointment.. how can you classify something without thunder and lightning as a severe storm yet alone even a thunderstorm? It was literally 2 minutes less of hail and 5 minutes of heavy rain-thats it..

I know what the definition is lol I been following the weather for 40 years... this would not have even classified as an event of writing home about.  And yes PRIOR to Sandy this area had seen PLENTY of severe storms with winds over 60 MPH.. quarter size hail (more rare i think once) but plenty of pea and nickel size hail.. with cloud to ground lightning and thunder that would shake the house.. to each his own what he expects out of a severe thunderstorm but this was a dissapointment.. how can you classify something without thunder and lightning as a severe storm yet alone even a thunderstorm? It was literally 2 minutes less of hail and 5 minutes of heavy rain-thats it..

Well, if your view is that a severe thunderstorm means what you want it to mean, and you mean it to mean something other than what the rest of the country defines a severe thunderstorm to be, then your logic is impregnable.  For the record, when the rest of us say severe, we're using the NWS definition that the other 320 million people in this country use, and not the definition used by the dude posting under the nom de plume "atownwxwatcher".   HTFH.

I'm in Bethlehem Township, PA and that feature just passed right over me 10 minutes ago.  It was a sight to see.  No tornado - just a rapidly rotating wall cloud.  It's moved on into Warren County, NJ.  In 40+ plus years of weather watching I have never seen anything like it.  There was no wind to speak of at the surface.  No thunder either.  It just got deathly quite and still.  But that was the extent of it.

Archived