• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

I don`t think anyone is comparing the NINO basin heat to 09. 15 is as different to 09 just like 15 is different from 97.

People are looking at more than just the verified basin readings or sub surface heat anomalies .

09 is brought up because of it`s forcing. It is important , because of what is going on it the EP region .

There is a massive amount of warm water there , all the guidance shows you a GOA vortex setting up this winter and it`s position

looks to depend on where the best forcing occurs .

The CFS is forcing closer to 160 , which would push the NEG further east and gum up the works sending the height field further east in Canada and that would pinch off the N jet .

Other guidance that forces near the D/L like in 09 pulls that trough SW of the Aleutians and that pulls the height field west of HB . That is your 500mb winter scenario.

09 does not compare to this monster , but it`s not all about the equatorial waters , what and where it produces will matter .

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I guess people aren't used to seeing forcing so far west with such a strong El Nino.

But this may be the first event this strong that grew out of a weak modoki the previous

winter and spring.

Wow.....I had never though of that.

I know last year technically wasn't a nino, but same thing...

The forcing was west more 09-10 (centered around dateline) than what is progged for this year. That was you get with SST gradient and latent heat. That is more ideal for an Aleutian trough. We also had E QBO + solar min support more high-latitude blocking. Especially for the Atlantic side:

IQfMsOB.png

The forcing was west more 09-10 (centered around dateline) than what is progged for this year. That was you get with SST gradient and latent heat. That is more ideal for an Aleutian trough. We also had E QBO + solar min support more high-latitude blocking. Especially for the Atlantic side:

IQfMsOB.png

We are essentially in uncharted territory right now in regards to analogs for this particular winter. For these global sea surface temperatures and anomalies, the way things have progressed in the past two years, solar conditions, snow cover, etc, there are no true analogs or years which help us along in terms of guidance. 

In reagrds to winter forecasting, this year will present a tremendous challenge and skills test for anyone who is involved with seasonal forecasting. 

Yeah, I guess people aren't used to seeing forcing so far west with such a strong El Nino.

But this may be the first event this strong that grew out of a weak modoki the previous

winter and spring.

I'm not sure what kind of el ninos were modoki before 1950 but I liked analogs that were second year ninos...1877-78, 1888-89,1896-97, 1914-15, 1930-31 and 1940-41...it looks like the year before was a weak event like last year...

ftp://www.coaps.fsu.edu/pub/JMA_SST_Index/jmasst1868-today.filter-5

The CFS is one of the only models with the forcing forecast to be that far east. Most others are further west like

57-58, 86-87, and 09-10.

attachicon.gifNMME_ensemble_prate_season2.png

attachicon.gifcaprec_anom.2.gif

attachicon.gifY201510.D0800_gl0.png

The CFS sets up at 160 , most of the guidance forces at the D/L .  I am not saying it has to be wrong , but if I blended all the guidance it W of the CFS . 

Even the CFS forcing is more in line with the BASIN type forcing .

Below , compliments of OHweather , who has a great piece , it`s a great read .

post-525-0-44810800-1445449906.png

Theoretically, why does it even matter how quickly the el nino peaks if the forcing is closer to the date line??

Seems to me that the latter half of the season will be fine, but the first half is NAO dependent, regardless.

For the moisture to stream up here and the baroclinic zone to line up the coast. The forcing needs to be further west. Look at the +forcing values that PB posted for Modoki flowing through the Gulf and the SE US.

For the moisture to stream up here and the baroclinic zone to line up the coast. The forcing needs to be further west. Look at the +forcing values that PB posted for Modoki flowing through the Gulf and the SE US.

This is not a modoki El Niño, I don't know why you continue to insist that it is

No.

My point is that the forcing is already west, so why does it matter when el nino collapses??

No one has answered yet...is it because it needs to weaken in order to see the usual retrogression of the pattern that is typical of el nino seasons?

No.

My point is that the forcing is already west, so why does it matter when el nino collapses??

No one has answered yet...is it because it needs to weaken in order to see the usual retrogression of the pattern that is typical of el nino seasons?

It depends on how it collapses. West to East may ruin the forcing position. East to West will lock it around the D/L. Which will promote more Aleutian Troughs.

We'll see if this is the westward shift that the models have been hinting at.

The recent warming is focused in 3.4 and 4 rather than 1+2 and 3.

attachicon.gifpac_oisst_anom_current.png

attachicon.gifwk1.wk2_20151021.Tsfc.jpg

attachicon.gifwk3.wk4_20151021.Tsfc.jpg

Some impressive >+3.3 anomalies showing up that hadn't been there before. This is certainly the strongest the Nino has been so far. Doubt we'll beat 1997's record, but somewhere between 2.5 and 2.6 is impressive enough... needless to say.

We Will finally see the explosion over the epac.

The Nino will expand in latitude and gain that classic East based look.

Nino 4 might Cool in the the interim.

voZA8Yt.jpg

GamzX0I.jpg

That's pretty impressive for the SH side.

6o99KcB.jpg

Dude why are so obsessed with this nino becoming east based?

I don't respect the tactic of refusing to adjust and make corrections.

But to each their own.

I meant it in tongue-and-cheek. Refusing to look at the past and current trends like they mean nothing is naive.

He's right that there's probably gonna be another spike in Nino 1+2 later... but wrong about the east-based part. Just like every other spike so far... it's going to be met with an almost immediate move west. I'm thinking that'll be later in December. 

It's not a modoki, either...don't get me wrong...

Looks like Modoki forcing though... and that's what matters

I meant it in tongue-and-cheek. Refusing to look at the past and current trends like they mean nothing is naive.

He's right that there's probably gonna be another spike in Nino 1+2 later... but wrong about the east-based part. Just like every other spike so far... it's going to be met with an almost immediate move west. I'm thinking that'll be later in December.

Looks like Modoki forcing though... and that's what matters

Yup,

He's right, 1+2 is going to warm again based on what is going on but does it really matter at this point? It is what it is

Exactly.

No one is arguing that 1+2 will not warm again, but it doesn't matter.

Basin-wide.

Forcing is not static, no, but neither are other indices, yet we often refer to them in the mean aggregate for a given season.

Archived