Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A slew of tornadoes have formed along the dry line.  Big Spring, west of Childress, top of the panhandle under the gun.

This looks like it could end up being the biggest tornado day so far this May. There were 6 on the 16th but they were all EF0/1. I would be willing to bet that today produced the strongest tornado of the month. The Big Spring tornado looks to be classic W. Texas:

CjGnbiGWUAc50Hu.jpg

This was credited as being the 2nd Big Spring tornado, image is from Jen Amber @jenamber 

CjGXzzbVEAAmPaL.jpg

Oh good another outflow boundary blows through, surprise.....

Side note, I got a chuckle out of this last part of the AFD:

Otherwise...thunderstorms are expected to really

increase in coverage during the day Thursday with additional

chances into Friday as the shortwave moves east across the

southern Plains. Severe weather will be possible on both days.

I read it as "no really, it's gonna happen this time."

Lol.... You can basically take this to the bank if you live in N. Texas. Models show big rains for DFW in the D5 - D10 range and then drop it. Has been the pattern the last few weeks.

From FWD AFD:

In

addition there is a concern that the vigorous convection may tend

to develop more across South Central and Southeast Texas as the

ECMWF shows which would intercept the best moisture/instability

across North Texas.

ETA: The 12z EPS still favors N. Texas but it seems like it has been folding to the operational more often than not here lately.

Lol.... You can basically take this to the bank if you live in N. Texas. Models show big rains for DFW in the D5 - D10 range and then drop it. Has been the pattern the last few weeks.

From FWD AFD:

In

addition there is a concern that the vigorous convection may tend

to develop more across South Central and Southeast Texas as the

ECMWF shows which would intercept the best moisture/instability

across North Texas.

ETA: The 12z EPS still favors N. Texas but it seems like it has been folding to the operational more often than not here lately.

I saw that piece in the AFD and thought if there is concern already for south central and southeast Texas to steal moisture flow and instability from North Texas you can probably guarantee that will happen. Plus it's been the norm lately....ugh

Problem is, it'll almost assuredly stay elevated, so it'll be kept in check.

Yeah I can see a bit of a cap problem on the NAM from the twister data site. What is the site where everyone gets the great hodos and skew ts from? Thought I had bookmarked it.

Not seeing anything that suggests explosive development but I'm on the train looking back west through the haze. I must admit that my interest was peaked when they first popped but most likely just elevated trash.

Yeah it's odd. Way out in front of the dry line. Pretty stable development wise but moving at a pretty good clip.

ETA: and they're fizzling.

Yeah I can see a bit of a cap problem on the NAM from the twister data site. What is the site where everyone gets the great hodos and skew ts from? Thought I had bookmarked it.

Yeah it's odd. Way out in front of the dry line. Pretty stable development wise but moving at a pretty good clip.

ETA: and they're fizzling.

I think they use the College of Dupage site

Oh look... That impulse that couldn't get it done around here is setting off svr warned storms across C. Ok. What a crap stretch for weenies around DFW. Although, my wife said yesterday mornings storm had very impressive lightning.

She wasn't kidding. I sat in the car in the work lot. CTG everywhere. Also, the most perfect roll cloud I've ever seen.

Forbes has some interesting words to say about this Friday

FRIDAY 5/27
Another day of possible severe thunderstorm and tornado outbreak as the upper-air system continues eastward. Scattered severe thunderstorms in south MN, west-central and southwest WI, extreme southeast SD, IA, northwest IL, east NE, central and east KS, OK (except panhandle), central and east TX, west half AR, MO (except southeast), extreme northwest LA. TORCON - 5 KS and OK areas, north-central and northeast TX; 4 - south-central and southeast TX; 3 - east NE, west AR, northwest LA, south MN, 
southwest and west-central WI; 2 to 3 rest of area

13235151_10153628993583201_5140346557969

Forbes has some interesting words to say about this Friday

FRIDAY 5/27

Another day of possible severe thunderstorm and tornado outbreak as the upper-air system continues eastward. Scattered severe thunderstorms in south MN, west-central and southwest WI, extreme southeast SD, IA, northwest IL, east NE, central and east KS, OK (except panhandle), central and east TX, west half AR, MO (except southeast), extreme northwest LA. TORCON - 5 KS and OK areas, north-central and northeast TX; 4 - south-central and southeast TX; 3 - east NE, west AR, northwest LA, south MN,

southwest and west-central WI; 2 to 3 rest of area

13235151_10153628993583201_5140346557969

I like how he is still using his 1980s copied map to draw updates on :lol:

Friday seems to have more potential than tomorrow but both days look to be hindered be overnight/morning convection (DFW speaking). Who knows, maybe S. Texas MCSs won't steal all the moisture this go round.

I like how he is still using his 1980s copied map to draw updates on :lol:

Friday seems to have more potential than tomorrow but both days look to be hindered be overnight/morning convection (DFW speaking). Who knows, maybe S. Texas MCSs won't steal all the moisture this go round.

Considering the HRRR seems to be on something really good taking that model with a grain of salt, the 4K nam and to some extent the NAM at 18z offer some hope for Thursday and Friday by not providing a southern Texas screw over, here is to hoping they remain under a firm cap.

Archived