CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the accumulating snow has reach a Grand Bend-London-Long Point line. If we can push up the start time here to around 4pm, I think that'd be a positive sign.

Flakes starting to fly here.   It appears SW of TO is the place to be for this storm, but as always seeing is believing.  It would be nice to have some faith in some of the model output, but colour me sceptical.   Been burned too often in synoptic storms.   When do classes at Western resume for you SSC?  A 401 commute later today with the storm in place would be a nightmare.

Hey Dan, what's your call for this storm?

Right now I'm going with 6-9" or 15-23cm for Toronto. I am concerned that the defo band is further north than modelled which would put the GTA right in the crosshairs for big snow. Am waiting to see if 12z NAM will confirm this.

Right now I'm going with 6-9" or 15-23cm for Toronto. I am concerned that the defo band is further north than modelled which would put the GTA right in the crosshairs for big snow. Am waiting to see if 12z NAM will confirm this.

Was discussing this with Chris Scott and a few others on twitter and I tend to agree. 

HRRR looks locked and loaded as well.

Was discussing this with Chris Scott and a few others on twitter and I tend to agree. 

HRRR looks locked and loaded as well.

attachicon.gifhrrr_ref_ne_16.png

It looks like the main precip is clearly Hamilton/SW Ont.

GTA may pick up a decent band or so but I don't see how GTA will have comparable totals to those currently in the WSW. Maybe a Watch should be up but I think the chances of the GTA reaching WSW criteria are really low unless the winds are stronger than forecast. Unless this system bumps north (and currently it's right where it's been modelled by pretty much every model), our QPF isn't going to change much.

Temperatures are absolutely plummeting at YYZ. 

7th year in post-secondary school and this is the first time i've experience "slack week" (as you so humorously called it) the first week of Feb. Usually it's the 3rd week in Feb. But Ontario law schools have to be quirky.

Doesn't everybody call it "slack week"?? :pimp:    That's what we all called it waaaay back when I went to Western.   You're following this storm thread closely so it can't all be work, no?  

j/k     Seven years in post high school........wow  -  you must be way more studious than me.  I took a year off of school and worked in Edmonton as I needed the break from school.   Now after a long work career,   I am contemplating retirement.........

Doesn't everybody call it "slack week"?? :pimp:    That's what we all called it waaaay back when I went to Western.   You're following this storm thread closely so it can't all be work, no?  

j/k     Seven years in post high school........wow  -  you must be way more studious than me.  I took a year off of school and worked in Edmonton as I needed the break from school.   Now after a long work career,   I am contemplating retirement.........

No, I'm a lot dumber than you. 28 years old and never held a job in my life for longer than 6 months. Never made any real money. I'm the poster boy for what's wrong with province's economy (among other things). Anyways...this is a convo for PM or another time.

Looks like the 12z NAM gave us that little boost in QPF that we were waiting for yesterday at 0z. Delayed but not denied. Time to rock n roll.

Bumping my call to 6-9".

Was contemplating it, but I think I'll stay put at ~6". Strong winds may cut down the ratios and I'm wary that the models may be overestimating QPF by too much. That being said, we look to be in a prime spot for localized banding along the trowal feature. If that banding sets up, we could definitely get deep into your range. But too many ??? regarding exact location to boost my amounts.

Temperature down to -13.4C at my place.

Dynamics are great for some nice deformation bands to setup. Hard to pinpoint the exact location, but somebody in the GTA, outside of Hamilton/Burlington, is going to cash in nicely.

Calling for 18cm (+/-3) in the region.

I don't know about the 12z Nam, but the 6z Nam had 0.50-0.55 raw qpf for Toronto.

Archived