CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was contemplating it, but I think I'll stay put at ~6". Strong winds may cut down the ratios and I'm wary that the models may be overestimating QPF by too much. That being said, we look to be in a prime spot for localized banding along the trowal feature. If that banding sets up, we could definitely get deep into your range. But too many ??? regarding exact location to boost my amounts.

Agree completely. The NAM could easily be too aggressive with QPF like it often is but the 700mb defo zone is in a very nice position right along the 401 so perhaps models aren't handling this properly(they rarely do). I could see this ending up as a 0.35-0.4" QPF event with 13:1 ratios in and absolute worst case scenario which would still bring us close to 6". Obviously room to go much higher than that.

Temperature down to -13.4C at my place.

Dynamics are great for some nice deformation bands to setup. Hard to pinpoint the exact location, but somebody in the GTA, outside of Hamilton/Burlington, is going to cash in nicely.

Calling for 18cm (+/-3) in the region.

I don't know about the 12z Nam, but the 6z Nam had 0.50-0.55 raw qpf for Toronto.

Closer to 0.6 on the 12Z. 

I don't think anyone in the GTA is going to reach 10" but we'll see if ratios and banding surprise. I'm cautiously pessimistic. 

Agree completely. The NAM could easily be too aggressive with QPF like it often is but the 700mb defo zone is in a very nice position right along the 401 so perhaps models aren't handling this properly(they rarely do). I could see this ending up as a 0.35-0.4" QPF event with 13:1 ratios in and absolute worst case scenario which would still bring us close to 6". Obviously room to go much higher than that.

Absolutely.

Closer to 0.6 on the 12Z.

I don't think anyone in the GTA is going to reach 10" but we'll see if ratios and banding surprise. I'm cautiously pessimistic.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see an overachiever somewhere like the Feb 2014 storm. Deformation bands will help our cause and high ratios.

Decided to measure this storm in two methods. One, using the old fashioned way and two, the Nipher way. Found a pot in my garage that resembles the Nipher haha.

I don't live to far from Toronto. Near Highway 7 and Pine valley.

Archived