CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Southern Ontario Winter '14-'15 Discussion

harrisale

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00Z RGEM at 27 hours is north but precip difference for GTA doesn't look much different.

EDIT:

Scratch that, heavier precip starts 3 hours earlier. Looks to be juicier.

Overall the 0z RGEM cut precip compared to 18z. It is not showing 0.3-0.4" instead of 0.4-0.45". The main reason is due to faster propagation.

6z NAM/GFS/RGEM ticked back north. We're pretty much locked in right now. I really like my 6" call for Toronto, with a bit of a N-S cline. Worst case scenario...dry air eats away at our totals and it ends up being 3-4". Best case scenario, we get into some frontogenesis bands under the trowal and get into the 8-10" range.

As for the headlines, adding Lambton, Middlesex, Brant, Oxford and southern Halton to the warning was the correct thing to do. I probably wouldn't have gone with a warning myself for Toronto and the next tier of zones. Although I'm calling for ~15cm here, it's going to be over the course of 18 hours. If the best case scenario pans out, we'll probably get the mid-event upgrade we've become accustom to over the last couple of years.

3z SREF mean continues to be insane, although it did come down by about an inch. Really scary to see 19 of the 22 members AOA 12" for YYZ. The lowest is 6.6". But the ratios it's employing is just nuts and it has almost no chance of verifying.

I think QPF has got to be the way to go with this one. Ratios are just crazy on a lot of these snow maps. Both the 6Z NAM and GFS show 25 cm but only 0.5 inches of QPF. I just don't see 20:1 ratios happening.

If the GFS or NAM are to verify, 8" isn't out of the question, but a lot would have to go right.

I'm sticking with my 5" call for midtown. I can just imagine the heavier precip being over the lake and a deformation band hugging the 401/407 on the northern precip shield while the centre chunk of the GTA just gets lighter precip.

Archived