• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central US 2014-15 Winter Preseason Discussion

It is going to be nice to finally have a winter with cold at all levels of the atmosphere along with plenty of moisture. Maybe we can get an early treat from the Nuri induced mid-Nov Arctic outbreak.

There are definitely hints of that in the fantasy ranges. It looks to me like the models are pretty shaky right now though. Just my opinion but the Ozarks could see lightly measurable snows on the 14th and the 18th if the runs were to be even close. I'll feel better when we're in the 4-5 day range given the time of year. Either way, the pattern at 500 mb looks as awesome as we could hope for.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are definitely hints of that in the fantasy ranges. It looks to me like the models are pretty shaky right now though. Just my opinion but the Ozarks could see lightly measurable snows on the 14th and the 18th if the runs were to be even close. I'll feel better when we're in the 4-5 day range given the time of year. Either way, the pattern at 500 mb looks as awesome as we could hope for.

Down here I am hoping for one of those upper lows that come out of Mexico to follow the front next week. They are never forecasted well and can lead to very surprising results. Even if we don't get that we will surely have our first widespread freeze.

Down here I am hoping for one of those upper lows that come out of Mexico to follow the front next week. They are never forecasted well and can lead to very surprising results. Even if we don't get that we will surely have our first widespread freeze.

Yeah. Those and the deep southern track pacific lows are my personal favorites. I haven't gotten to enjoy many of those over the last few years. The Gulf is definitely pumping the moisture this year and so is the Pacific right now. Where we are in the central US, you can't help but be excited if you truly love snow.

Wow...1976 as a top analog. It was way before my time, but anytime you hear an analog from the winter of late 70s, you can't help but get excited.

Yup. I'll take a 1976-77 only with more precip around these parts. I know it would be cold and oppressive for some but I would love to see a winter that could be labeled as historic or awesome.

Yeah. I think it's part of the same weak low I thought I saw the other day. We'll have to see what it does I suppose.

Snow/sleet last March then more in Nov would be pretty awesome. The cold is sure going to be in place so if we can get a system strong enough to tap into whatever moisture is available snow is possible. The main story though is the very early hard freeze that looks pretty certain late next week.

Snow/sleet last March then more in Nov would be pretty awesome. The cold is sure going to be in place so if we can get a system strong enough to tap into whatever moisture is available snow is possible. The main story though is the very early hard freeze that looks pretty certain late next week.

Yeah. I've already got a check mark next to hard freeze after last Saturday's 22 degree morning. Brown and dying grass is a welcome sight. I'm shooting for a sub 20 low in the next round. About 2 weeks too early for that too. I shouldn't grumble too much since it is only November 5th. Hope you get a new early freeze record down there.

Archived