Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OHWeather, I've been watching that potential.  Decided earlier (at least for Cincinnati) that we should hang out above frz long enough to not have issues before noon, but farther north that is something to watch!

Dilly, how can that be? 850mb 0C line is almost to Cleveland lol not trying to call BS on ya, but I mean I don't see how it's possible.

Agreed that Cincy should either be rain or rain/IP with temps just above freezing during the morning. HRRR and RAP holding strong with the idea farther north though.

0z NAM is fairly close to my map. I may still tweak in the morning but I'm starting to feel more comfortable with hedging south this afternoon.

Agreed that Cincy should either be rain or rain/IP with temps just above freezing during the morning. HRRR and RAP holding strong with the idea farther north though.

0z NAM is fairly close to my map. I may still tweak in the morning but I'm starting to feel more comfortable with hedging south this afternoon.

So. OhioWeather. you know where I am. I don't know if you have road tripped through Perry County yet considering you have been going to class close by. But...I trying to break your map down into small areas. I assume you would go 3-5" or 4"6 around New Lexington and Shawnee.

So. OhioWeather. you know where I am. I don't know if you have road tripped through Perry County yet considering you have been going to class close by. But...I trying to break your map down into small areas. I assume you would go 3-5" or 4"6 around New Lexington and Shawnee.

Yes. Those spots are far enough south that there's still some potential upside, but given recent trends I think those numbers are reasonable.

The snowpack is so water logged now that once the cold air comes back in they will turn into solid glaciers! Still got over 6" of concrete here, despite the rain.

Another 3" to 5" on top of it will be nice too, which is all I can hope for.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but I think we're looking at 1-2".

HRRR and RAP were not doing well this evening. Knocked us down to 40 degrees on hour 1 of fcst earlier when it was 50!

4km Nam is a killer.....barely 3" here!

HRRR and RAP were not doing well this evening. Knocked us down to 40 degrees on hour 1 of fcst earlier when it was 50!

4km Nam is a killer.....barely 3" here!

Yeah, they're not as bad farther north but are still a couple degrees or so too warm in central and northern Ohio. However, colder air will filter in later tonight and dynamical cooling may help a little if precip is moderate to heavy. I went with a toned down version of the HRRR and RAP for an impromptu Facebook post for the Columbus area

A tricky forecast is the story for early Wednesday morning. Temperatures are expected to cool later tonight while precipitation is still ongoing across central Ohio. This could allow the precipitation to change back to sleet or snow especially north of US route 22 before ending Wednesday morning. The timing of the potential changeover is around 4AM from Urbana to Marysville to Mount Vernon to Millersburg...and as late as 6AM farther south towards Wilmington to Circleville to Lancaster to Caimbridge...anyone farther south should stay mostly rain Wednesday morning. Locations north of I-70 could see an inch or so of snow/sleet accumulation before the precipitation ends Wednesday morning by 10AM...locations along and south of I-70 (including Columbus and Newark) will likely see an inch or less of accumulations with temperatures struggling to get below freezing. A brief period of freezing rain is also possible during the changeover. The timing of the transition from rain to snow/sleet may cause issues for the morning commute, even if amounts are light. There will then be a break in the precipitation later Wednesday morning. Another round of snow moves in Wednesday evening through Thursday morning...this event will feature moderate to heavy snow southeast of US 22 and light amounts farther north.

I'm somewhat worried that the RAP and HRRR are too cold and places don't changeover at all, but given the timing with the morning commute and potential moderate to heavy precip rates didn't want to let it go.

When factoring in higher ratios later in the storm the 4km NAM would still be ok for my forecast...although I am thinking I'll need to fine tune the northern edge later. Was worried I'd be too conservative there but the 0z models have not disappointed in that regard thus far.

As a side note, I really like the WPC percentile and probabilistic snowfall accumulation graphics. I just wish there was more human influence and less SREF influence on them. The SREF are routinely way too amped with amounts which causes the probabilistic graphics to show way too high of probabilities, especially on the northern edge which makes them hard to use as a forecasting tool. I already look at the SREF for max amounts and most NW solution in play.

Already at almost 1.4" of rain for CVG at 2am. Now I don't want to go full weenie mode here but that is a good bit more than was forecast at 24-36 hours out by the gfs and Nam. Heck even the 0z 4km Nam tonight said .29" at CVG thru 7z and we have had .49". Again maybe just grasping at thin air here and it doesn't necessarily mean that wetter than forecast trend continues but interesting to make note of.

Already at almost 1.4" of rain for CVG at 2am. Now I don't want to go full weenie mode here but that is a good bit more than was forecast at 24-36 hours out by the gfs and Nam. Heck even the 0z 4km Nam tonight said .29" at CVG thru 7z and we have had .49". Again maybe just grasping at thin air here and it doesn't necessarily mean that wetter than forecast trend continues but interesting to make note of.

Roads are covered with snow in Coshocton already. Heavy snow here mixed with minimal rain

Archived