joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 5th MCS/Convection Discussion

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro wasn`t bad from NYC and points  N 

@ KNYC I take that back   .87 fell , think yesterdays 12z had 1.5 there . 

What I find fascinating is that areas closer to the low track itself actually saw less rain than areas further north. Leads me to believe that if the Euro track verified our area may have seen much less, but who knows.

Guest Pamela

Yea in nassua county well away from the coast in albertson i believe. Im talking about the south shore of LI where trust me storms just die when they reach that area

The area around Port Jefferson has been exceptionally wet during the warmer parts of the year relative to much of the rest of the area during most of the 20 years I've lived here. Thunderstorms seem to gravitate to this vicinity (they really seem to aim for the area that juts out into the Sound) with a very high frequency and the only real drought I can recall here was during the summer of 2005...broken by the tremendous rains of October...locally in excess of 20 inches for that month.  I have a sprinkler system that broke down in 2007 and there has not even been any need to get it repaired so much rain has fallen here during the warmer months over the last 7 years.           

I work on the S. Shore not far from Patchogue...and while I'm in the building...it seems there have been many thunderstorms...maybe that area in SE Nassau & extreme SW Suffolk is just a locally bad spot for rainfall...I lived in Plainview...maybe 15 miles WNW of where you are...and t-storms almost always weakened as they approached...or so it seemed. 

Guest Pamela

The area around Port Jefferson has been exceptionally wet during the warmer parts of the year relative to much of the rest of the area during most of the 20 years I've lived here. Thunderstorms seem to gravitate to this vicinity (they really seem to aim for the area that juts out into the Sound) with a very high frequency and the only real drought I can recall here was during the summer of 2005...broken by the tremendous rains of October...locally in excess of 20 inches for that month.  I have a sprinkler system that broke down in 2007 and there has not even been any need to get it repaired so much rain has fallen here during the warmer months over the last 7 years.           

I work on the S. Shore not far from Patchogue...and while I'm in the building...it seems there have been many thunderstorms...maybe that area in SE Nassau & extreme SW Suffolk is just a locally bad spot for rainfall...I lived in Plainview...maybe 15 miles WNW of where you are...and t-storms almost always weakened as they approached...or so it seemed. 

Lol...as God is my witness...torrential local rainfall here in Port Jeff right now.  Temp 63 F.

Guest Pamela

It was pouring here a few minutes ago.  WTH did that come from?

IDK...but there's always a lot of activity up here...winter or summer...as the interaction between the Sound and the Ocean seems to create quite a bit of vertical motion...

The area around Port Jefferson has been exceptionally wet during the warmer parts of the year relative to much of the rest of the area during most of the 20 years I've lived here. Thunderstorms seem to gravitate to this vicinity (they really seem to aim for the area that juts out into the Sound) with a very high frequency and the only real drought I can recall here was during the summer of 2005...broken by the tremendous rains of October...locally in excess of 20 inches for that month. I have a sprinkler system that broke down in 2007 and there has not even been any need to get it repaired so much rain has fallen here during the warmer months over the last 7 years.

I agree the north shore around port jeff does pretty good

Even my neighbors always joke it never rains in wantagh in the summer! I would say summer and especially august droughts here occur every other year on average. The middle of the island has the bennifit of the sea breeze front which often produces pop up convection. The best example being the mega hail storm in the new Hyde park area a couple years ago

Archived