• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

Does high ratio snow melt faster? I measured .5 inches liquid from the melted snow. If you add .1 for evaporation/sublimation then you get average ratios of 15.8:1. Very impressive for Mid-March.

Yes, physically there is less ice to melt, so less energy required to melt it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow got demolished today.. definitely not the staying power of the early mo event.  Big patches with no cover and even the shaded spots are hurting.

Yes, physically there is less ice to melt, so less energy required to melt it.

Warm ground seems to effect how fast it melts also. Pretty impressive how fast it melted today. Fluff is fun to watch accumulate, but wet snow last longer.

WOW! I have never seen over 6' of snow disappear so quickly in a low to mid 40's cloudy kinda day. Yeah I know, sun angle. etc, but it is still impressive. The bare ground patches went from small to large in a matter of a couple of hours this afternoon. The trails (which have less leaf clutter than the surrounding forest) in my backyard/woods have shown themselves before the surrounding forested area, I assume due to warmer ground because of lack of leaves insulating the ground.

It's a bummer, really. I like the snowy look and it is a shame it is leaving us so quickly. The "drip drip" of the gutters is quite annoying. SIGH. Spring is sprouting, literally.

Tuesday March 18 2014

Today we topped out at 41 degrees under cloudy skies.

This time we do not have the deep frozen ground we had with the March 3 snowstorm.

That is why todays milder temps are demolishing the snow. Yesterday we had 6 inches of snow. Today it is 2 inches. I expected this, it is mid March. We are down to about 60 percent areal snow coverage - which still meets criteria to increment one more day on the days of snow cover counter. Today is our 52nd day of snow cover this season. It's totally unbelievable. My front lawn and north lawn still have 100 percent areal coverage with 2 inches of snow.

I am still in rapturous wonder over St Paddys Day morning :) It felt like mid January. We had the Luck of the Irish backin' us up and It WAS mid January!!!!

The north facing lawns of the Glendale Slope (on Glendale Road in Glendale) are still snow covered, with 2-3 inches of snow. Leninskaya Slope at the Darbydale/Minnieville Intersection has a lot of areal snow coverage, with up to 3 inches of snow. It looks great. I took a reverent jebwalk in Delaney Valley this afternoon. It has got a ton of snow still on it. The famed west northwest slope there has 2.5 inches of snow on it. There is a lot of fresh cool water in the low places. All day long today I had a broad ear-to-ear grin over all the snowpack and especially the brand new plowed snowpiles!!!!!! There are STILL old snow piles from the last snowstorm!!!!

NO MORE punting winter. Old Man Winter is as strong as Superman this season. If only it could be the 2nd Year Without A Summer! Hell, maybe it is!

All Aboard the Bob Chill Express!!!!!!

This aint that old burned out stormtracker bus express, this is a state of the art maglev! It's got the latest in everything! Live entertainment and all the vice and gambling and booze you can handle, all while we get more frigid polar vortexes and snow!! We offer $5000 worth of free slot play on our state of the art slots or $5000 in chips on the house at our craps, baccarat, roulette and blackjack tables! If you hold a ticket you are ALL IN!

Buses burn out and die then rust on the roadside! Trains just glide into the triple phaser with 27 foot snowdrifts.

This is how we roll.

Tickets! Tickets! I need to see your tickets please!!!!!

I am DEFINITELY a full fledged BELIEVER now! I believe! I BELIEVE !!!!

The closest observation nearest to Ocean City, MD that I could find is in Ocean Pines, MD which is very close to where the Ocean City ASOS is located. They recorded 6.2 inches of snow. 

And who said Ocean City couldn't see see 6 inches or more in March? Oh right, it was ers-wxman1. ;)

Archived