CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I would say that the occurrence of rain in this one particular instance doesn't change the fact that rain is rare in the desert. And the next model prediction for rain days out, I would still say it's unlikely to come to fruition due to this fact.

The rarity of any given system isnt whats being debated, its THIS system. Which is why the climo argument for specific storms doesnt work 100%. Climo argues for snow here to be exceedingly rare this time of year, no one is disputing that. But for the storm to hit in an area even rarer climo region means that climo didnt argue for this to miss us, the pv, track of the storm, etc, caused the miss. Not our avg temp of 50 and 10% chance of snow.

The rarity of any given system isnt whats being debated, its THIS system. Which is why the climo argument for specific storms doesnt work 100%. Climo argues for snow here to be exceedingly rare this time of year, no one is disputing that. But for the storm to hit in an area even rarer climo region means that climo didnt argue for this to miss us, the pv, track of the storm, etc, caused the miss. Not our avg temp of 50 and 10% chance of snow.

Once you get within 96 hrs or so, I agree.  A week+ out, I disagree.

Wait, is Spring not coming?  That will suck for baseball...

The algo comment, that was referring to a map of 2m temps that had NYC not only the coldest area in the region but BELOW ZERO a couple weeks back.  You don't think that's ridiculous?  Those temps were >4 sigma, and of course, did not occur.

What point were you making?

If I had all day here to go back and sift through your posts I could find dozens which make you look silly, but you're doing a well enough job on your own.

Bottom line there's nothing climo about being -4 or lower this month which could get even colder with the incoming cold next week. I could see major departures that week close to -20 for the day.

We got screwed over with timing, not because it wasn't cold enough for the past two storms, the pattern will continue to feature a much greater than normal chance of snow heading into late March.

You said my argument was wrong. Well, you have my argument wrong.

So, the fact that you " stopped" discussing climo at 96 hours means were we supposed to interpret that as an admission of being wrong , and that this storm could happen? Are you my wife? Lol

So, the fact that you " stopped" discussing climo at 96 hours means were we supposed to interpret that as an admission of being wrong , and that this storm could happen? Are you my wife? Lol

I think it's good to incorporate climo/probability/stats to a point until the storm is well modeled and in the short-medium run.  If it appears likely that the storm will be something like a 2+sigma event (which IMO you can only ascertain within a few days of 0hr), then I agree it's pretty stupid to continue to ride climo.  However, 7+ days out, I don't see the problem with using probability analysis to say that said event isn't likely regardless of what's modeled (given models' tendencies to be highly inaccurate at that range).

I think it's good to incorporate climo/probability/stats to a point where the storm is well modeled and in the short-medium run. If it appears likely that the storm will be something like a 2+sigma event (which IMO you can only ascertain within a few days of 0hr), then I agree it's pretty stupid to continue to ride climo. However, 7+ days out, I don't see the problem with using probability analysis to say that said event isn't likely regardless of what's modeled (given models' tendencies to be highly inaccurate at that range).

Well wtf dude, now you went and posted this and ended the debate, i have nothing else to do today (besides avoid the city like the plague).

Well wtf dude, now you went and posted this and ended the debate, i have nothing else to do today (besides avoid the city like the plague).

Haha, well in the longest-winded way possible, that's what I've been trying to say.  If you come to me and say, this storm at 240hr looks like a MECS in (now late) March, I'm going to tell you good luck with that.  If it's 3 days out, I'm going to privately b*tch about it but begrudgingly accept that it could actually happen.

Well I think that's part of the problem, who falls under that category?

If you're starting a discussion thread about a storm on day 8 then you fall under the weenie category.

If you post about the possibility of a storm in the long range on a general discussion thread or in the banter thread I see no problem with that.

The New England forum keeps two general discussion threads, one heavily moderated scientific discussion thread and one thread for the weenies. That way the two types of posts don't become intertwined.

We need more moderators in this sub forum, pure and simple.

Archived