joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 17-19th Potential Storm.

Heisy

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theoretically, yes.  Climatologically, the average latest measurable snowfall at PHL is tomorrow.

Ray,

I noticed you used the phrase "average latest" instead of "latest" as I usually see posted. You probably remember from last year that I think climo is way overused. If people would think in terms of "average" I think it would help.

Looks good to me, good luck with your forecast.  I think i'd go a little higher for PHL itself, maybe about 2-3 inches.

I'll wait til the new Euro comes in but I'll probably keep it.  Was a little worried about the northern creep but the obs further west give me pause about making any upward adjustments.  Yeah, PHL will be higher for sure.

I'm more inclined to side with the NAM on this.  IIRC it did better on the last southern system we had.  So basically I expect nothing.

These storms have been like 2010 suppression and gradient, only worse of course.

I'm interested to see if PHL gets the 2.7" needed to move this winter ahead of 95-96.  Going to be real close.

Theoretically, yes.  Climatologically, the average latest measurable snowfall at PHL is tomorrow.

I started thinking about this and thought of the April 20th date (not sure if that's the latest or not), and imagined a spread of dates ranging from earliest to latest, and while I'm sure that it's "normal" for the last snowfall to occur some time in March, I can imagine that there have been a couple of winters that really skew the average, like 1972-73, with no measurable snow at PHL?

I started thinking about this and thought of the April 20th date (not sure if that's the latest or not), and imagined a spread of dates ranging from earliest to latest, and while I'm sure that it's "normal" for the last snowfall to occur some time in March, I can imagine that there have been a couple of winters that really skew the average, like 1972-73, with no measurable snow at PHL?

Median is March 18th, so the mean and median in this case are quite close.  There are a lot of years it was in March, some when it was in February and some when it was in April.

Archived