Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local mets not hyping, only saw WPXI and KDKA. JV showed graphic with WPa in the mix zone, snow to the north but said track still to be determined.  Cropper showed WPa possibly in heavy snow area but didnt go into any details.

Its a fine line at this point between alerting the public of the threat but not hyping something that is still subject to change so at this lead I think that is the right way to go. Now if Saturday night we are still seeing 12+ and they don't relay that is another topic.

Winter storm watches are out for West to South Central Ohio and CEntral to Southwest West Virginia. Also, the TV Weather guys and gals need to find a replacement for this phrase----"It all depends on the track of the storm". I know that it's true, but I'm tired of hearing it---find a new line!!    :deadhorse:

Winter Storm Watch is up.

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ013-014-020>023-029-031-
073>076-WVZ001>004-282300-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0004.140302T2000Z-140303T2300Z/
TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-
MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-
ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-
WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-
MARSHALL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...
COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...
ST. CLAIRSVILLE...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...
BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...
WASHINGTON...WAYNESBURG...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...
DONEGAL...UNIONTOWN...CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...WEIRTON...BETHANY...
WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE
1000 AM EST FRI FEB 28 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL OF 6 INCHES OR MORE.

* SNOW IS LIKELY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT BUT MOST
SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE STARTING SUNDAY NIGHT.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ENDING...MONDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO
REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW ACCUMULATION.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE
ACCUMULATION MAY SEVERELY IMPACT TRAVEL. PREPARE FOR WINTER
WEATHER AND MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS VIA THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE HOMEPAGE NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR OTHER NEWS MEDIA.

Watches hoisted!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA1000 AM EST FRI FEB 28 2014...A SIGNIFICANT EARLY MARCH SNOWFALL IS IN STORE FOR THE AREA ....A PROLONGED SNOWY PERIOD IS IN STORE FOR THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHTTHROUGH MONDAY NIGHT AS SEVERAL STORM SYSTEMS AFFECT THE AREA.THE SNOW THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON WILL BE RELATIVELY LIGHT WITH AGENERAL 1 TO 2 INCHES OVER THE REGION AND MAY BE MIXED WITH SOMERAIN IN WEST VIRGINIA AND SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF OHIO AND SOUTHWESTERNPENNSYLVANIA.SNOW IS PREDICTED TO FALL AT A HEAVIER RATE SUNDAY NIGHT ANDMONDAY MORNING. BY THE TIME ITS ALL OVER MONDAY NIGHT WE WILLLIKELY SEE OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW AREA WIDE WITH SOME AREASSIGNIFICANTLY MORE. THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY ON THE EXACTLOCATION WHERE THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL. LISTEN FOR UPDATES ONTHIS DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ013-014-020>023-029-031-073>076-WVZ001>004-282300-/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0004.140302T2000Z-140303T2300Z/TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...SALEM...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...WAYNESBURG...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...UNIONTOWN...CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE1000 AM EST FRI FEB 28 2014...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHMONDAY AFTERNOON...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHMONDAY AFTERNOON.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL OF 6 INCHES OR MORE.* SNOW IS LIKELY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT BUT MOST  SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE STARTING SUNDAY NIGHT.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING.* SNOW ENDING...MONDAY NIGHT.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO  REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW ACCUMULATION.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

This has to be compared. To drizzle. If this storm. Is going to last 30 plus hours and. Only 6 inches. That's a dusting an hour lol. Anyway. I think nodels are underplaying the true gulf moisture. Well we'll see. Don't get me wrong. I think we get more than 6. But just for argument sake.

BY THE TIME ITS ALL OVER MONDAY NIGHT WE WILLLIKELY SEE OVER 6 INCHES

This has to be compared. To drizzle. If this storm. Is going to last 30 plus hours and. Only 6 inches. That's a dusting an hour lol. Anyway. I think nodels are underplaying the true gulf moisture. Well we'll see. Don't get me wrong. I think we get more than 6. But just for argument sake.

Well while there will be a period of light snow, there is going to be a heavy period overnight Sunday into Monday Afternoon when we see the bulk of the accumulations. Also the watch indicates 6 inches or more possible. I think once we get closer if models are still showing upwards of a foot you will see that changed, or when we go to a warning it will be better detailed.

I been reading other forums a lot of people are saying this one compares to a so far smaller president day 2003 storm. The setup. Is similar. But there thinking is pd storm 2003 dumped heavier totals. Was that one under estimated too?? Or was it right on??? How did we do with that one. And what was our forcast. ???

Archived