• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southern Ontario Winter '13/'14 Discussion

harrisale

Can you guys please explain to me what this thing called a "cm" is in detail? Thanks! :popcorn:

I dont know what kind of detail your specifically requesting, but here's a few points that may help;

* An inch is equivalent to 2.5cm.

* 2 inches is equivalent to 5.0cm.  

* 4 inches is equivalent to 10.0cm 

* 6 inches is equivalent to 15cm

* 12 inches is equivalent to 30cm 

.......And so forth! I rounded most of them to the nearest whole number. 

In addition, we use Millimeters (mm) to measure rainfall. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had much of a problem with it. Being from the west coast, temperatures below -5C are extremely rare, so I'm not accustomed to this type of cold. However, it really isn't that bad. It's dry and as long as you are sheltered from the wind and dressed with appropriate layering, you can barely tell that it's the temperature you see on the thermometer. Living downtown I find that I'm very sheltered from the wind (and from the worst of the cold). I don't take the wind chill warnings very seriously.

My coworker is from Winnipeg and is having a good laugh at us complainers. The cold is bearable when you dress for it, but it's still an inconvenience. Not entirely sure if this winter is colder than previous ones, or near normal. Seems colder to me, but then again this is the first winter I don't have reliable transport. 

Need the sfc low to pass further south to get a more southerly component. NAM might be overdoing the downsloping to a degree, but attm, going over 2" for Toronto and environs is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

NW flow LES behind the Saturday system looks interesting. Upstream connection and a bit of a convergence feature forming from Lk Huron down to the GTA. Something to keep in mind.

Need the sfc low to pass further south to get a more southerly component. NAM might be overdoing the downsloping to a degree, but attm, going over 2" for Toronto and environs is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

NW flow LES behind the Saturday system looks interesting. Upstream connection and a bit of a convergence feature forming from Lk Huron down to the GTA. Something to keep in mind.

I like the 1-2" idea for the City of Toronto personally, with the hammer/burlington area in the 0.5"-1.5" range. Thinking oshawa and the eastern burbs could be near the 2-3" mark as the opportunity for LEhs goes up and downsloping is significantly reduced. 

Mean temperature for the month is running -1.1C below normal at YYZ. If models are correct, this month could wind up being as cold or colder than Jan 2009, which had a mean temperature of -8.8C. In comparison, the mean temperature thru Jan 22 is -7.4C at YYZ.. 

Agree? 

Agree. Hope we can surpass 2009 to make this the coldest in ten years. Doubt we'll surpass 2004, though.

I like the 1-2" idea for the City of Toronto personally, with the hammer/burlington area in the 0.5"-1.5" range. Thinking oshawa and the eastern burbs could be near the 2-3" mark as the opportunity for LEhs goes up and downsloping is significantly reduced. 

What are your thoughts for Scarborough? In your analysis, is that included in the eastern burbs?

My coworker is from Winnipeg and is having a good laugh at us complainers. The cold is bearable when you dress for it, but it's still an inconvenience. Not entirely sure if this winter is colder than previous ones, or near normal. Seems colder to me, but then again this is the first winter I don't have reliable transport. 

This is definitely a colder than average for southern Ontario. Although I've been home for two and a half years now, I'm still "used" to the type of cold they get in Ottawa on an annual basis, so I'm generally un-phased (pardon the pun) by this. It's actually kind of bemusing to hear my parents panicking about this cold.

Can you guys please explain to me what this thing called a "cm" is in detail? Thanks! :popcorn:

Also, in terms of temperatures:

0 Celsius= 32 Fahrenheit

minus 7 Celsius = 20F

minus 15 Celsius= 5F

minus 18 Celsius - zero Fahrenheit

minus 20 Celsius = 4 below

minus 26 Celsius = 15 below

minus 30 Celsius = 22 below

:)

Also, in terms of temperatures:

0 Celsius= 32 Fahrenheit

minus 7 Celsius = 20F

minus 15 Celsius= 5F

minus 18 Celsius - zero Fahrenheit

minus 20 Celsius = 4 below

minus 26 Celsius = 15 below

minus 30 Celsius = 22 below

:)

You left out:

minus 40 Celsius = 40 below

Great idea for a separate thread. I enjoy reading all of the posts about GTA weather, so I will lurk here frequently.

What are your thoughts for Scarborough? In your analysis, is that included in the eastern burbs?

Right now there is some major model divergence wrt GTA QPF between the models. Current model summary is as follows, not including any LES on the back side:

NAM COBB: 1.2" of snow on 0.08" of QPF(15:1 ratios)

GFS COBB: 1.8" of snow on 0.14" of liquid(14:1 ratios)

ECMWF: 2.6" given 10:1 ratios

RGEM: 0.25-0.35" of QPF

GGEM: 0.3-0.4" of QPF

Assuming ratios are in the 12:-15:1 range, I think we are looking at a 1-3" event across the GTA(scarborough included). The higher end of guidance is pushing that envelope but don't think that's the most likely scenario given the nature of the flow. Regarding the back end LES, params look pretty good(inversion height above 700, saturated BL, upstream connection and Delta T's in the 20-25c range). Biggest issue is the ice cover IMO, which is increasing pretty quickly over Huron and Superior.

Right now there is some major model divergence wrt GTA QPF between the models. Current model summary is as follows, not including any LES on the back side:

NAM COBB: 1.2" of snow on 0.08" of QPF(15:1 ratios)

GFS COBB: 1.8" of snow on 0.14" of liquid(14:1 ratios)

ECMWF: 2.6" given 10:1 ratios

RGEM: 0.25-0.35" of QPF

GGEM: 0.3-0.4" of QPF

Assuming ratios are in the 12:-15:1 range, I think we are looking at a 1-3" event across the GTA(scarborough included). The higher end of guidance is pushing that envelope but don't think that's the most likely scenario given the nature of the flow. Regarding the back end LES, params look pretty good(inversion height above 700, saturated BL, upstream connection and Delta T's in the 20-25c range). Biggest issue is the ice cover IMO, which is increasing pretty quickly over Huron and Superior.

attachicon.gifNAM_218_2014012318_F54_44.5000N_81.5000W.png

How is the Sunday-Monday event looking to you?

RGEM remains bullish with 3-6" across the GTA for saturday's event using 14:1 ratios. Has ramped up QPF compared to last nights runs. NAM/GFS still solidly in the 0.5-1.5" range with a huge GTA gradient setup from west to east.

attachicon.gifrgem_tprecip_slp_neng_17.png

Not been impressed with the RGEM's performance this winter. I'm sticking with the drier models.

Not been impressed with the RGEM's performance this winter. I'm sticking with the drier models.

I'm not changing my original call as well. GTA lake enhancement is showing up on the RGEM which makes little sense considering the flow has a strong SW component and is in line with other models that have strong downsloping. RAP seems to be in agreement with the NAM/HRRR suite as well. The clarington to Brighton corridor is the place to be with this event.

I'm not changing my original call as well. GTA lake enhancement is showing up on the RGEM which makes little sense considering the flow has a strong SW component and is in line with other models that have strong downsloping. RAP seems to be in agreement with the NAM/HRRR suite as well. The clarington to Brighton corridor is the place to be with this event.

Agreed. Better bet is with the Sunday clipper although even that is looking less exciting than a few days ago.

It'll be interesting to see if this winter actually finishes below normal in terms of snowfall, while experiencing well below normal temps. Cold and dry is not a typical combination for Toronto. All of the recent below normal snowfall winters I can think of 2011-12, 2006-07, 2005-06, 2001-02, 1999-00 had above normal temps. 2009-10 had basically normal temperatures. 

I think at the end of the day we'll eek out normal snowfall, but just some food for thought.

It's early, so no one should be claiming victory/conceding defeat yet, but the winds so far have more of a southerly component than the NAM was indicating, per sfc analysis. An indication of this is that the lake band over Lk Ontario is in the process of clipping the Beaches/Bluffs area of Toronto/Scarborough.

I'm going to go with a call of 5-10cm for my area.

Looking at the latest guidance, there's going to be a sharp west to east snowfall gradient across the GTA. Lesser amounts in the western areas and more towards the east. Here's my call:

1-1.5" Western GTA (Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga)

1.5"-2.5" Western parts of the City of Toronto (Etobicoke)

2.5-3.5" Central parts of the City of Toronto (downtown, East York)

3.5-4.5" Western parts of Scarborough

4.5-5.5" Eastern parts of Scarborough (eg. Rouge Hill)

5.5-6+" Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Bomanville

I'm going with 6cm for my backyard. Measuring is going to be near impossible though.

Either way I'm a fan of wind, so if we can manage some brief whiteouts, I'll be happy.

Looking at the latest guidance, there's going to be a sharp west to east snowfall gradient across the GTA. Lesser amounts in the western areas and more towards the east. Here's my call:

1-1.5" Western GTA (Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga)

1.5"-2.5" Western parts of the City of Toronto (Etobicoke)

2.5-3.5" Central parts of the City of Toronto (downtown, East York)

3.5-4.5" Western parts of Scarborough

4.5-5.5" Eastern parts of Scarborough (eg. Rouge Hill)

5.5-6+" Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Bomanville

Is this just for the Friday-Saturday event, or does it include the Sunday event as well?

Archived