Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
School scheduling advice

weatherwiz

• 1 month later...

Free course on-line starting in March for 6 weeks if you want to do a little prelearning before taking it for credit:

https://www.coursera.org/course/sequence

Also good stuff here:  http://www.khanacademy.org/

I signed up for the course and it begins next Sunday!  Really looking forward to it and am quite excited.  

Yes  :D

Good luck. I can't provide any course insight since I couldn't do math if my life depended on it, but if this is a real interest area for you things will work out. I've had times where I had to juggle work & work, work & class, etc. and all I can say is that you adjust and find a way to come out better on the other side. 

Prelearning is awesome btw.

It certainly is a challenge balancing work and school but it's something many people have to do and if you can learn how to do so that is a tremendous life experience and you'll become excellent at organization.  It would be nice to not have to work but gotta pay those bills!  

I am lucky in a sense when it comes to work b/c for the past 2+ years I've had this job posting apartment ads on Craigslist for this company and that brings in ~$240 every two weeks ($580 a month) so that is enough to cover my rent, cell phone, and a small part of cable/internet.  Also, from November to March I work opening up school gyms for basketball practice/games every Saturday/Sunday...all I do is unlock the doors, turn on lights, setup chairs and then sit here between 9-13 hours both days and can do whatever I want...so I do homework/studying.  That is really huge.  

This thread has provided me with some incredible links which I have used quite often and they have been a major help.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed chapter 1 of the Calc II course dealing with sequences.  Are sequences seriously as easy as advertised?  Coupled things were a tad confusing but overall sequences seems rather easy.

It's deceivingly difficult but its not THAT bad. 

Also calc II courses I have experience with are generally towards the end of calc II...

It's deceivingly difficult but its not THAT bad. 

Also calc II courses I have experience with are generally towards the end of calc II...

I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with Calc as I go along.  I'm beginning to understand and see why it's extremely important to know and understand all the basic laws you're given with (for example like limit laws)...everything seems to derive from laws.  If you can understand them then you can do anything.  

Throughout my experience with math up until now I never paid much attention to laws and rules.  In middle/high school I would get by (and easily) just by memorizing problems and a few basic steps...problems you would do for homework and in class you would see again on quizzes and tests...but that's not really the case now.  

• 2 months later...

I begin Calc II on Monday and I have yet to register for classes for the fall semester as how I do that all depends on Calc III.  The school I attend does not offer Calc III, well they haven't in quite a while.  There is, however, another community college not too far from which which is offering Calc III in the fall.  The professor I have had for pre-calc, Calc I, and Calc II has said if there is enough interest he can put in something to get the school to either offer it in the fall or he can do it as an independent study.  I would love to do Calc III and eventually differential equations with him b/c he is a phenomenal teacher but I'm not sure how independent studies work or really know anything about them...wondering if anyone has ever done such a thing.  

I'm holding off on registering for fall classes until I have my Calc III plans figured out.  I have classes the 3 other classes in mind and they would be online classes, which is actually something I would prefer.  

Should I just go to the other school for the Calc III or wait and see what happens where I go now...I just don't want to wait too long and get screwed for the fall.  

I begin Calc II on Monday and I have yet to register for classes for the fall semester as how I do that all depends on Calc III.  The school I attend does not offer Calc III, well they haven't in quite a while.  There is, however, another community college not too far from which which is offering Calc III in the fall.  The professor I have had for pre-calc, Calc I, and Calc II has said if there is enough interest he can put in something to get the school to either offer it in the fall or he can do it as an independent study.  I would love to do Calc III and eventually differential equations with him b/c he is a phenomenal teacher but I'm not sure how independent studies work or really know anything about them...wondering if anyone has ever done such a thing.  

I'm holding off on registering for fall classes until I have my Calc III plans figured out.  I have classes the 3 other classes in mind and they would be online classes, which is actually something I would prefer.  

Should I just go to the other school for the Calc III or wait and see what happens where I go now...I just don't want to wait too long and get screwed for the fall.  

Long story short I ended up doing an independent study for atmospheric dynamics during my semester "abroad." If you plan on using the independent study course to fill job requirements (which I assume you want to) I would make sure you have a statement from the school/professor explicitly stating what the course was and what was covered.

I ran into that issue when the NWS didn't like "MET 490 Independent Study" instead of "MET 302 Atmospheric Dynamics" on my transcript.

As long as the right topics are covered, it shouldn't matter whether it's independent study or not.

Long story short I ended up doing an independent study for atmospheric dynamics during my semester "abroad." If you plan on using the independent study course to fill job requirements (which I assume you want to) I would make sure you have a statement from the school/professor explicitly stating what the course was and what was covered.

I ran into that issue when the NWS didn't like "MET 490 Independent Study" instead of "MET 302 Atmospheric Dynamics" on my transcript.

As long as the right topics are covered, it shouldn't matter whether it's independent study or not.

My goal is to be at Western Connecticut State for the Fall of 2015 and by doing Calc II this summer, this means I can do Calc III and differential equations in the fall and spring and be all done with that before transferring...besides the core met classes all I would need really us physics I and II.  

Calc III was a brick wall for me...I absolutely hated it. For whatever reason, I had no fooking clue what the heck I was doing in it. I think it was likely due to me being weak in a few other more basic calc areas. Diff EQs actually clicked for me. 

I'm actually pretty scared for Calc III...I have yet to hear anything good about it lol...but I have heard differential equations isn't all that bad.  

My goal is to be at Western Connecticut State for the Fall of 2015 and by doing Calc II this summer, this means I can do Calc III and differential equations in the fall and spring and be all done with that before transferring...besides the core met classes all I would need really us physics I and II.  

I'm actually pretty scared for Calc III...I have yet to hear anything good about it lol...but I have heard differential equations isn't all that bad.  

It was my own fault I think. Work hard to get strong in Calc I and II..it will make life easier. I screwed around with those subjects and didn't take it that seriously until it was too late. 

It was my own fault I think. Work hard to get strong in Calc I and II..it will make life easier. I screwed around with those subjects and didn't take it that seriously until it was too late. 

I really worked hard with Calc I...ice1972 actually helped me out towards the end and was a major help.  It just sucked b/c as hard as I worked I just seemed to come up short...I understood everything and such and the processes but I would just mess up a step along the way.  It just pissed me off b/c I literally did nothing but Calc whenever I was home and I would still just be a bit short.  I really want to work harder at this b/c if I can get through Calc II and completely understand this stuff that will open the door for me to get some decent jobs over the next year...like tutoring and stuff...so I really want to work hard.  

• 2 weeks later...

I really worked hard with Calc I...ice1972 actually helped me out towards the end and was a major help. It just sucked b/c as hard as I worked I just seemed to come up short...I understood everything and such and the processes but I would just mess up a step along the way. It just pissed me off b/c I literally did nothing but Calc whenever I was home and I would still just be a bit short. I really want to work harder at this b/c if I can get through Calc II and completely understand this stuff that will open the door for me to get some decent jobs over the next year...like tutoring and stuff...so I really want to work hard.

It seems like you are fairly social and making some connections in the field...far more important than a B vs a C in calc XVI.

I am assuming you are enrolled at one of the CT CCs right now? The state university transfer program is really an amazing thing, and definitely a must.

It seems like you are fairly social and making some connections in the field...far more important than a B vs a C in calc XVI.

I am assuming you are enrolled at one of the CT CCs right now? The state university transfer program is really an amazing thing, and definitely a must.

Yes...I have been going to Capital Community College in Hartford...have been going for 3 semesters plus the Calc II this summer. Reason for going was b/c everything will transfer to Western Connecticut State (as far as I understand) according to that agreement.

My plan is to do this upcoming fall and spring at community college, would have to do Calc III and Differential equations at Tunxis since Capital doesn't offer it, and then I would also do Physics I in the spring at Tunxis so when I go to WCSU all I will need is Physics II along with maybe two other gen Ed's and the core met classes

Yes...I have been going to Capital Community College in Hartford...have been going for 3 semesters plus the Calc II this summer. Reason for going was b/c everything will transfer to Western Connecticut State (as far as I understand) according to that agreement.

My plan is to do this upcoming fall and spring at community college, would have to do Calc III and Differential equations at Tunxis since Capital doesn't offer it, and then I would also do Physics I in the spring at Tunxis so when I go to WCSU all I will need is Physics II along with maybe two other gen Ed's and the core met classes

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. My fiance went to Three Rivers in Norwich for a year before deciding it wasn't for her, so I've looked into the transfer deal a bit. Definitely a big difference between a two and four year degree, so transferring should be your top priority.

If you are struggling with a certain subject at the moment, is it possible to just not take it right now? If you are going to struggle, you are better off doing it at Western than doing it before Western. My GPA being high enough to get automatic admission to WCSU would be my priority, not getting a head start on my expected major. Take your gen-eds.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. My fiance went to Three Rivers in Norwich for a year before deciding it wasn't for her, so I've looked into the transfer deal a bit. Definitely a big difference between a two and four year degree, so transferring should be your top priority.

If you are struggling with a certain subject at the moment, is it possible to just not take it right now? If you are going to struggle, you are better off doing it at Western than doing it before Western. My GPA being high enough to get automatic admission to WCSU would be my priority, not getting a head start on my expected major. Take your gen-eds.

I've been getting some help from ice1972 (poster here) who I have meet with a few times and he has been a big help with Calc. I struggle with it but I'm not lost...I work really hard with it and literally devote 99%?of my time to it.

My Cumulative GPA at Capital is right around 3.06 and I've never had anything less than a B...this includes classes such as Chem I and II and pre-Calc and Calc I.

I would honestly prefer though to take those challenging math classes now...i was out of school for 7 years before I got back and it's been a killer when it comes to math so I just need to do it now...if I get through Calc II this summer, I'm just two semesters away from being done with it...and only encounter it when it comes to met and physics.

I know it's a major challenge and I have made it my life...I really don't even pay much attention to the weather much anymore or look at models in a day to day basis.

I've been getting some help from ice1972 (poster here) who I have meet with a few times and he has been a big help with Calc. I struggle with it but I'm not lost...I work really hard with it and literally devote 99%?of my time to it.

My Cumulative GPA at Capital is right around 3.06 and I've never had anything less than a B...this includes classes such as Chem I and II and pre-Calc and Calc I.

I would honestly prefer though to take those challenging math classes now...i was out of school for 7 years before I got back and it's been a killer when it comes to math so I just need to do it now...if I get through Calc II this summer, I'm just two semesters away from being done with it...and only encounter it when it comes to met and physics.

I know it's a major challenge and I have made it my life...I really don't even pay much attention to the weather much anymore or look at models in a day to day basis.

That's one way to approach it...probably a wise way. Just be careful with burnout. Find time to look at the models! School kinda sucks lol not nearly as fun as an actual career.

That's one way to approach it...probably a wise way. Just be careful with burnout. Find time to look at the models! School kinda sucks lol not nearly as fun as an actual career.

The burnout has happened lol...I've been a real prick at times to people around me...I always feel bad but I just have gotten myself so stressed out I just blow up. Then I just start thinking about how stupid I was after I came back from Lyndon State and did the stuff I did and didn't get back to school earlier

The burnout has happened lol...I've been a real prick at times to people around me...I always feel bad but I just have gotten myself so stressed out I just blow up. Then I just start thinking about how stupid I was after I came back from Lyndon State and did the stuff I did and didn't get back to school earlier

It happens. I can barely even remember the monster I turned into around March of my senior year, with no job lined up, broken up with my girlfriend, moved out of my apartment, maybe some drugs mixed in that are only legal for medical purposes. I didn't say that in writing.

Point is, it gets better. College was honestly one of the most stressful times of my life so far. It gets better. Network network network. And not with mathematicians - with meteorologists. And of course, networking is just a grown up word for making friends.

It happens. I can barely even remember the monster I turned into around March of my senior year, with no job lined up, broken up with my girlfriend, moved out of my apartment, maybe some drugs mixed in that are only legal for medical purposes. I didn't say that in writing.

Point is, it gets better. College was honestly one of the most stressful times of my life so far. It gets better. Network network network. And not with mathematicians - with meteorologists. And of course, networking is just a grown up word for making friends.

I will say...what I have found on here has been one of the greatest things of my life...relationships I've built, friends I've made, contacts, it's been more than a dream. Plus most of what I have learned has come right from this place and the people here.

When it comes to the math part...what makes me more upset is I really do love this stuff and it frustrates me I struggle so much...like I find it so intriguing and exciting but sometimes I wonder what do i have to do in order to 100% understand everything and be able to perform a problem...any problem if it's thrown at me...for that though it just will take tons of work and sacrifice...but only to a degree in the end. I've been lucky...my girlfriend has stuck with me (we will be together 18 months on the 10th)...she has zero interest in weather...couldn't care less about it and has zero clue about math but she sticks with it and through the times when I'm so frustrated...that's what I'm most graceful for

I will say...what I have found on here has been one of the greatest things of my life...relationships I've built, friends I've made, contacts, it's been more than a dream. Plus most of what I have learned has come right from this place and the people here.

When it comes to the math part...what makes me more upset is I really do love this stuff and it frustrates me I struggle so much...like I find it so intriguing and exciting but sometimes I wonder what do i have to do in order to 100% understand everything and be able to perform a problem...any problem if it's thrown at me...for that though it just will take tons of work and sacrifice...but only to a degree in the end. I've been lucky...my girlfriend has stuck with me (we will be together 18 months on the 10th)...she has zero interest in weather...couldn't care less about it and has zero clue about math but she sticks with it and through the times when I'm so frustrated...that's what I'm most graceful for

And it's what you should be grateful for, for sure.

But trust me, and I don't need to know the industry to say this with 100% confidence...you don't need to be able to do anything 100%. Even the best leaders know when and how to rely on others.

And it's what you should be grateful for, for sure.

But trust me, and I don't need to know the industry to say this with 100% confidence...you don't need to be able to do anything 100%. Even the best leaders know when and how to rely on others.

I certainly won't disagree with that! In the end everything is about communication and not being afraid to differ to someone else when you aren't sure of something.

I certainly won't disagree with that! In the end everything is about communication and not being afraid to differ to someone else when you aren't sure of something.

If I was a betting man (I'm not), I would bet that you will make it into the field in some capacity. No guarantees in life, but that would be my bet. I'm off to bed though, been sure to let us know when the next severe opp is! Even if it's not local...my goal this year is to see a tornado form live on video. It's felt a bit like it did waiting to use my new snowblower in 2011-12.

If I was a betting man (I'm not), I would bet that you will make it into the field in some capacity. No guarantees in life, but that would be my bet. I'm off to bed though, been sure to let us know when the next severe opp is! Even if it's not local...my goal this year is to see a tornado form live on video. It's felt a bit like it did waiting to use my new snowblower in 2011-12.

I sure hope so!  All I've wanted to do since I was 3 years old...never wanted to do anything else.

I'm sure we will start seeing more convective opportunities soon with the threat for severe...as .long as we continue to go through June with decent severe threats to our west I would think that's a decent sign...typically when you move through the later part of June and into July, severe weather threats (at least those big events) out west vastly diminish but if the pattern is active out there into late June it can only hold some potential for us IMO

Archived