• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Select Daily Record High Temperatures for December 22

donsutherland1

Mt Holly NWS tosses weenies around  in their morning AFD of possible all time record December highs for PHL and Georgetown this weekend.

Philadelphia's December record is 73° (12/4,7/1998) and the GFS MOS has been showing 71°, so it's within reach. The 12/21 0zNAM MOS is a little cooler but has been understating temperatures. For example, its 12z forecast was 46° for PHL. The actual reading was 51°. The GFS MOS has been performing better, but even it has somewhat understated readings.

Just in... The 12z NAM MOS has boosted its forecast to 72°.

Here's the 12Z MOS from the GFS and NAM:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=KPHL&sta=KPNE&sta=KLOM&sta=KVAY&sta=KILG&sta=KPTW&sta=KDYL&sta=KMQS&sta=KWRI&sta=KTTN&sta=KMIV&sta=KUKT&sta=KACY&sta=KNEL&sta=KXLL&sta=KMJX&sta=KRDG&sta=KDOV&sta=KABE&sta=KAPG

SITE/GFS MOS (MAV)/NAM MOS (MET):

PHL 71/72

PNE 72/72

LOM 70/68

VAY 72/73

ILG 69/72

PTW 70/69

DYL 70/69

WRI 70/73

TTN 71/71

MIV 69/71

UKT 69/65

ACY 69/72

RDG 70/64

DOV 72/74

ABE 69/64

MPO showed a high of 58 earlier,I think around 50 now,but here in the Heavily Wooded SoPo's w/continuos Snowcover still hanging in;my high here was 50 when MPO was 58...now sitting at 43 w/overcast...Just looked my low for tonight's the low 50's,if it would get to the low 50's tonight that would be our high for the day...What a conundrum...  :whistle:

Actually as we discussed regarding the coop "reporting issue" in the other thread it was in fact not 62 on December 22nd but that high was on December 21st....I just don't want the facts to get in the way of a good story LOL!!

Regardless, its been warmer elsewhere on that date in Chester County.  Coatesville was 62 in 1971, Phoenixville was 63 in 1998.

MT Holly NWS has tossed weenies in their 9 PM AFD.

OTHERWISE, WE ARE IN THE WARM SECTOR WITH LOW PRESSURE MOVG NEWD TWD
SERN CANADA AND THE CDFNT REMAINING TO OUR W. IT WILL BE QUITE
CLOUDY THRU THE DAY, HOWEVER. NEVERTHELESS,RD B WITH INCREASING SWLY

FLOW, IT IS EXPECTED TO GET VERY WARM AND RECOREAKING TEMPS ARE

ANTICIPATED. H8 WINDS ARE FCST TO BE ABV 60 KTS ERLY BEFORE
DECREASING TO AROUND 40 KTS. H9 WILL REMAIN AROUND 50 KTS ALL DAY.
THIS WIND WILL BRING IN THE UNSEASONABLY WARM AIR. POPS WILL
INCREASE THUR THE DAY, BUT SHUD REMAIN LOW UNTIL MID TO LATE AFTN
OUTSIDE OF NRN AND WRN AREAS. BY THE END OF THE PD, EXPECT THE BEST
PRECIP CHCS.

Actually as we discussed regarding the coop "reporting issue" in the other thread it was in fact not 62 on December 22nd but that high was on December 21st....I just don't want the facts to get in the way of a good story LOL!!

You did not address my comment about Phoenixville's 63 degree reading on 12/22/1998, which would seem to be Chester County's true record for 12/22.

Meh  - Phoenixville is about the lowest spot in Chester County - at around 100-100ft  or so - that just isn't representative of most of the county......

You did not address my comment about Phoenixville's 63 degree reading on 12/22/1998, which would seem to be Chester County's true record for 12/22.

Meh  - Phoenixville is about the lowest spot in Chester County - at around 100-100ft  or so - that just isn't representative of most of the county......

1) You can make the same argument about East Nantmeal, though a lot more people live in Phoenixville than East Nantmeal.

2) Its still "Chester County", so its still "the record for the county".  If you are talking a state record, then its the record for "the state", not just a representative part of it.  If you want to talk about a more specific area of the county, then you need to make that specification.

1) You can make the same argument about East Nantmeal, though a lot more people live in Phoenixville than East Nantmeal.

2) Its still "Chester County", so its still "the record for the county".  If you are talking a state record, then its the record for "the state", not just a representative part of it.  If you want to talk about a more specific area of the county, then you need to make that specification.

If one had to make an 'official' Chesco site, I'd say Thorndale is pretty representative, although there is quite a bit of variation even in 

Thorndale - whether you're in the valley or the surronding hills.   Paul's current location is generally going to be colder/snowier than most

of the county.   I never realized Phoenixville is only 108' ASL.   I always questioned the 111 state record in 1936 in Phoenixville.   I believe

Philly was only 102/103 that day.    Seems fishy...

If one had to make an 'official' Chesco site, I'd say Thorndale is pretty representative, although there is quite a bit of variation even in 

Thorndale - whether you're in the valley or the surronding hills.   Paul's current location is generally going to be colder/snowier than most

of the county.   I never realized Phoenixville is only 108' ASL.   I always questioned the 111 state record in 1936 in Phoenixville.   I believe

Philly was only 102/103 that day.    Seems fishy...

Did not know the state record was in Phoenixville.  Here are some nearby temps from that day:

West Chester 105

Ardmore 105

Shawmont 104

Coatesville 104

Marcus Hook 108

Philadelphia Point B 103

Philadelphia 104

Quakertown 102

Wilmington Porter Reservoir 103

Philadelphia Navy Yard 107

Camden 105

Reading 102

So, yeah its a little suspect, but not quite as suspect as you might think.  I'm not sure I would accept that number if a station came in like that today.

Archived