• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SW/Central/SE VA Disco

Martin

Changeover once again delayed but not denied. The 12z NAM-HIRES probably not all snow for southside HR until after 7p but even stronger on the thumping around 10pm with very cold temps so it will definitely accumulate. I would say a quick 2-3 for southside HR is looking good and the bay effect could add a bit to that early AM Wed. for those south of the bay.

Yes. Not much wasted though. Start out with some sprinkles maybe light rain. Then the juice starts to swing in with cold.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be interesting here in the RIC metro. The original evolution of the system was better for us (more of a strict clipper with some Atlantic interaction) but now that is has become a true hybrid with more amplification things are trickier. I'd say we're good for 2-3" throughout central VA with localized amounts of 3-6". 850 low track is right over or just SE of downtown meaning small shifts will make a big difference. HPC likes a look closer to the Euro but who knows at this point.

The 12z NAM-HIRES actually has a 4 inch band from VB back southwest to just a little north/northwest of Eliz. City. Due to that superband forecasted for around 10pm tomorrow night. GFS right around 1.5-2 so 2-4 sounds like the way to go right now.

This will be the money maker for us. Hires sim has a nice 35-40 dbz band over top us.

RPM trying to show some banding and brief periods of heavy snow over SE VA

RPM looks sick, but is it the favored model for area?

I know it is not a global model so it makes me wonder if the RPM is seeing the same variables as the NAM and GFS.

And I suppose this continues to look worse and worse for us since there's no activity in this thread?

over the past few days a lot has happened/ changed. We are now looking good because of a developing wrap around band. Without that we would be looking at .5-1". With it 2-3". Maybe more.

And see, I'm unsure of what to expect here, because when people talk about the southside, they're mostly referring to the metro. I live out in the sticks west of Franklin... So I don't know if I'm considered "Hampton roads" or not.

ok. Go to twisterdata.com Use the snowfall maps to get an idea of what to expect in your area. Very easy to use.

And see, I'm unsure of what to expect here, because when people talk about the southside, they're mostly referring to the metro. I live out in the sticks west of Franklin... So I don't know if I'm considered "Hampton roads" or not.

I believe for statistical purposes you are Hampton Roads, but when I say HR re: weather I'm usually talking about the southside and peninsula (VB to Suffolk and up to NN)

18z NAM-HIRES continues to improve the snow chances. Superband continues to show up right with the arctic air in NE NC up through southside HR between 7p-11p. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a rumble of thunder or two if this thing verifies. 6+ would not be out of the question in a few spots and bay effect is still on the table Wed AM for good measure. Wakefield's going to have to make a move here.

18z NAM-HIRES continues to improve the snow chances. Superband continues to show up right with the arctic air in NE NC up through southside HR between 7p-11p. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a rumble of thunder or two if this thing verifies. 6+ would not be out of the question in a few spots and bay effect is still on the table Wed AM for good measure. Wakefield's going to have to make a move here.

Agreed.  I, based on nothing, expect a WWA to be issued.

18z NAM-HIRES continues to improve the snow chances. Superband continues to show up right with the arctic air in NE NC up through southside HR between 7p-11p. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a rumble of thunder or two if this thing verifies. 6+ would not be out of the question in a few spots and bay effect is still on the table Wed AM for good measure. Wakefield's going to have to make a move here.

Warning criteria for SE VA and NE NC is 3"+ in a 12hr period? Also new gfs shows what will happen if the band does not develop.

Point and click zone forecast hast he airport around 3 to 6".   Not so sure we can muster that unless ratios really help out.  I think we start off at a standard 10:1.. before improving a bit to 12.. to 15:1.  Doubt we'll get those 20:1 ratios in this area.  :P

Warning criteria for SE VA and NE NC is 3"+ in a 12hr period? Also new gfs shows what will happen if the band does not develop.

You know the GFS is a low res model.  NAM is handling this feature well.  The question is where exactly the banding sets up.  I've seen similar situations where NE NC got more than the Southside. Time will tell... 

Archived